Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first came to this forum right after I bought my FZ, I made the comment that it had been a long while since I had ridden a sport bike (came from a Harley, before that I had an R6). One of the members suggested I take the SBF class hosted by SoCal Supermoto. Well, I signed up a few weeks ago and will be taking the class this Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be bringing my GoPro and will post up footage after. Thank you to whoever threw out the suggestion to me!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking forward to the feedback. I'm considering flying out for one of their supermoto classes over the winter. I figure it'll be a good way to get my riding fix in while it's too cold here and a good chance to work on the sumo skills.

·
Registered
107 Posts
SoCal is an awesome place. One of my best customers. The bike you are riding in the pics is running one of my caliper relocators, small world.

Auto part Metal

Reactions: Reaper828

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so here is my short review of SoCal Supermoto's SportBike Fundamentals class. It was awesome. Arrived at the track at 8:15. Check in, sign waiver, get changed out into leathers, meet in the pits. The instructors had set up easy-ups and chairs for all the students. The instructors introduced themselves and started talking about what we would learn throughout the day and track etiquette.

The main instructor, Stu, then went into detail about the supermoto bikes we would be riding (DRZ 400's). All the bikes had Dunlop Q3's on them. After that, about thirty minutes in all, we picked a bike and hit the track to just get familiar with the bikes and the track. Track sessions were about twenty minutes on track each time. It was really cool how it was structured, we would go out, ride, come back in, and Stu would discuss something new, then tell us to go out and try it. Some of the things he covered were: track layout, picking the best lines, apex vs. late apex, turn in, entrance speed and entrance braking, throttle modulation, body position, tire feel and tire warm up, and much more that I can't remember.

The instructors were really helpful and would answer any questions we had. We wrapped up our last session around 4:30. For the money it cost ($239) I got more than my money's worth. I would recommend this class to anyone in the SoCal area even if you are a veteran track rider. I have not been to the track so for me this was a good starting point. I really can't say enough good things about the class and the SoCal SuperMoto business in general. I am planning on taking this class again in the near future.

Any other questions hit me up if you are thinking about taking the class.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
wow, $239? Was this at Adams track? I've only driver go-karts there. Does it include gear?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, $239? Was this at Adams track? I've only driver go-karts there. Does it include gear?
Yea bro $239 for the one day SportBike Fundamentals class. It does not include gear however I had contacted Bryan Murray a month prior to class and told him I did not have a leather suit, he said he had some to loan out. Turns out I didn't end up needing to borrow since I bought the suit you see me wearing off of Craigslist two weeks before the class. So if that's the only thing holding you back, hit him him up and he should be able to help you out. You don't need a FULL one piece suit. Just leather jacket w/back protector, leather pants with knee armor, gloves, boots, and full face helmet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some random clips of sessions throughout the class. The guy in green is Stu our instructor. The guy in white that crashes was not part of the class and was unsafely passing every rider in the class.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It looks like a lot of fun but I wouldn't be interested in sharing the track with the guy that crashed. I wonder if he rides that way on the street.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts