Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not the best pics didn't notice it until it was late, by the time I took the pics it was dark.

Pirelli's. Were used on the track, now are being used in freezing weather...

Can anyone explain this? Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm with BigWebb........never seen that before! Keep us updated on what you find out. WOW!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow! How cold was it? Did it happen while it was sitting? Weird!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn scary is how i explain it! never seen that kind of cracking before, but I would trailer it to a tire shop!
I'm with BigWebb........never seen that before! Keep us updated on what you find out. WOW!
I'll update as I get info, I imagine it will be a slow process since its winter and not a pressing issue (I just won't ride it)
Wow! How cold was it? Did it happen while it was sitting? Weird!
We have had mid-high teens (Fahrenheit) but the last week or so it didn't go much below 30. The last time I rode this bike was a few weeks ago 18 degrees. Since then we had our first snow so it sat for a few weeks before I rode it again. Its possible it was there before I rode it today, but I didn't check.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Repeated hot/cold cycles and living in a cold weather climate might be responsible, but I've never seen any tire crack like that. Thankfully you noticed it before they blew on you at speed...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just a guess here- you went out into a cold day. Then rode to a chili stop through a puddle just before warming up. When you left, the AWSOME power lifted your wheel up a bit but slammed down on the frozen rubber. Which caused a splash that hit a witch that cast a spell that caused a crack that made you look and now your here.

Good job you looked. Many of us just turn the key and go.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
If that was my 09, I'd be wanting an explanation from Pirelli. You should definitely document this and submit it to them. If they have a batch or lot number, an immediate recall could save someone else from a serious accident. Lucky find for you.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just a guess here- you went out into a cold day. Then rode to a chili stop through a puddle just before warming up. When you left, the AWSOME power lifted your wheel up a bit but slammed down on the frozen rubber. Which caused a splash that hit a witch that cast a spell that caused a crack that made you look and now your here.

Good job you looked. Many of us just turn the key and go.
Well now...that makes my explanation seem silly by comparison...lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
He bought somebodys race takeoffs I bet...and and they cracked from being overheated too many times....and likely are 8 years old. Check the date code on the sidewall.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just some typical cold cracking....

.... that we've never seen before :eek:

What's the date code on those?!

Should be a 3 or 4 digit # on sidewall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like those are supercorsas and they are a race DOT tire. Technically a street legal tire but designed for racing. I run them on my race bike and remember a warning on the new tire label that warned against using them below 40 degrees or they may crack.

Looks like that warning is valid.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He bought somebodys race takeoffs I bet...and and they cracked from being overheated too many times....and likely are 8 years old. Check the date code on the sidewall.
Just some typical cold cracking....

.... that we've never seen before :eek:

What's the date code on those?!

Should be a 3 or 4 digit # on sidewall.
Looks like the date code reads "0812" with a code in front of it reading "K044" (not sure if that's significant at all).

Yes they are race takeoffs, but I didn't buy them ?.
Looks like those are supercorsas and they are a race DOT tire. Technically a street legal tire but designed for racing. I run them on my race bike and remember a warning on the new tire label that warned against using them below 40 degrees or they may crack.

Looks like that warning is valid.
They are supercorsas. The friend I got them off of did the same thing last year (race take offs to cold weather) but didn't have a cracking issue.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Those look like track focused tires. Those kinds of tires aren't treated to be able to hold up in freezing temperatures. If you want to ride in these temps you should be running sport touring tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had been a Automotive mechanic for many years (20+) and have never seen good things out of Pirelli under longer term usage. Good initially, but fall off fast. I have noticed this trend to follow suit with regards to their MC product line too. I do not track mine, so this may be too much for you, but I am going with the Michelin Alpine Road 4's after seeing terrible performance under 40 degrees with many manufacturers.
MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 - Tires On-road | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website

·
Registered
657 Posts
Looks like the date code reads "0812" with a code in front of it reading "K044" (not sure if that's significant at all).

Yes they are race takeoffs, but I didn't buy them ��.

They are supercorsas. The friend I got them off of did the same thing last year (race take offs to cold weather) but didn't have a cracking issue.
That code should mean produced 8th week of 2012. Not that old. I was running Supercorsas this year from 2011 and they were sticky icky.

Supercorsa's have SP and SC designations. I'm 75% that the SP is the street version, the SC is the DOT track version.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Even car tires carry the warning about driving with summer tires in the cold. Now we have actually seen what happens when this is done. I just put a set of PR4's on last week and very happy after my first couple days of just above freezing temps. The real test is coming when my morning commutes will be in the teens in a couple months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts