Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone, glad to be here. First post. It’s been a long journey to my 2015 FZ 09.

There was a time (long ago) when I did the wheelie thing and 180’s in the dirt and sometimes whenever needed. I won’t expound on that. ☺ I had dirt bikes before my BSA 650, Suzuki 750 Triple, Nighthawks (2), Gold Wings (2), Vulcan, ST 1100, V-Strom, 2013 FJR (loaded) and now the FZ 09, my only bike. There were probably a few other bikes in the mix, just can’t remember them at the moment.

All to say, I understand and respect what many of you younger riders seek from this bike, and it delivers! I decided to join here and comment for those of us a bit on the far side of your age group who seek similar advantages of this bike but maybe for slightly different reasons. And why I bought mine, silver with blue wheels.

Leaving the heavier bikes behind, I had high hopes for my V-Strom ABS, especially with the upright rider’s position which I prize highly. An outstanding machine, all farkled out, but, for ME, it was top heavy and tippy. As my time to ride is limited, I never really got comfortable with this bike at low speeds, off camber curves, etc. Unable to get my feet flat on the ground, I tired of being unable to master this great bike, my fault, not the bike’s.

I went to the fantastic FJR because, for ME, in dark silver, it was the most beautiful bike in the world with all the options. I talked myself into it and it wasn’t hard. Wow, what a machine. But once again, with my limited riding, I struggled with the weight and some physical issues brought on by age. With genuine heartache I sold it. I’d pretty much resigned myself to the end of my riding.

I still lurked on some bike forums and began reading about the FZ’s. I still had my helmet, boots & heavy jacket so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. I test drove the 07, the 09 and the Bolt. The Bolt was out. The 07 and 09 had been built for me. The 09 ergos were close enough to the 07’s and the engine just felt better / smoother to me. With the exception of ABS, both bikes checked every box on my wish list. Every single one. FINALLY!

I write this history for the more senior member who might stop by here and be considering one of the FZ’s. The power is there on BOTH bikes. The light weight makes each bike ridiculously nimble & easy to ride in the parking lot and at all sane speeds. Both feet down and flat when stopped. Thank you Yamaha. Both bikes will flat out fly but the torque and power is easily managed with a bit of discipline. Both bikes are a joy to handle in traffic and out on the open road.

If you are a beginner rider, I would strongly advise against the 09 and opt for the 07. Both 2015 models have the fuel mapping all sorted out. No worries there. I’m fine with the suspension on my 09. I’m coming to the end of my break-in period and getting real world 50.2 mpg, calculated at the pump. I’ve ordered the Madstad windshield set up and will update when it has arrived and been tested.

Sorry about the long post. Just expanding on the advantages of the FZ 09 (& the FZ 07) for those of us past the wheelie stage in life.

Be safe everyone and all the best.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Sorry about the long post. Just expanding on the advantages of the FZ 09 (& the FZ 07) for those of us past the wheelie stage in life.
Welcomje to the forum.....but if you are past your wheelie stage, you bought the wrong bike...:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gents.

Wrong bike? Been said before,………just cuz your lead'n, doesn't mean your winning Crosshairs. :cool: Life's too short not to be riding. Hope to cross paths with some of you folks, I'm in Blue Ridge country.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome!

Great post.

Don't worry, before long you will be glad you got the 09 ��

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! Your middle name wouldn't happen to be Doctor would it?

Past the wheelie stage or not, don't be shocked when (not if) it happens. Be very careful in first gear.

Many histories here similar to yours, mine included. My sentiments exactly on weight and handling. As I approach 70, those two qualities make it possible to keep riding.

Post some pics, and if it suits you, identify where you are.

Enjoy this great machine!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Thanks Gents.

Wrong bike? Been said before,………just cuz your lead'n, doesn't mean your winning Crosshairs. :cool: Life's too short not to be riding. Hope to cross paths with some of you folks, I'm in Blue Ridge country.
It was of course said in jest...this bike is a wheelie machine......it almost does them by itself..:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks Gents.

Welcome. Seem to be older riders on the FZ I've noticed. The younger crowd still mostly hovers to the super bikes. Blue ridge, eh? VA? My old stomping grounds were the blue ridge mountains. Grew up in Fauquier county.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was of course said in jest...this bike is a wheelie machine......it almost does them by itself..:)
Understood completely Crosshairs, just some friendly trashtalk here. :cool:

I live near Asheville NC. As to how much I like this bike, I know of no other bike that has the engine, ergos, low weight, low COG, price, quality and overall ride-ability. Were it not for this bike, my riding would have pretty much been over.

No, sorry, my middle name is not Doctor.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome Revered, There is a average age poll In here somewhere. If Im still riding when I get as old as some Guy's on here I would feel very blessed!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome , older than the hills huh. I'm too old for that also but then that's what I say not necessarily what I do.
Post up regularly there's lots of older non cruiser riders here.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Watch out: Old age and treachery can trump youth and enthusiasm... wheelies might be easy on this moto but not when I'm on it! Compared to the RK parked next to it, or the WR250 parked next to the RK; this moto goes like nothing I've ever ridden.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts