Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from our Wild West Tour, now named Snake-bit Tour, and I loved the experience. Don't ever rent bikes from AZ Sportbike Rentals in Phoenix. I had to wait 6 hours for my rental to come in from another group, which burned my entire day. The second I jumped on the bike, I encountered issues. They previous renter told me that the bike needed a battery the third day of his trip, and true to form, it needed another one on the third day of my trip. A dying rectifier was the culprit, so I had to plug the V-Strom up with a battery tender each night with the hopes that I could make my next destination, as I also would have to pour a bunch of oil in the hemorrhaging 650 Ninja that my wife was riding each day. My buddy reserved a VFR800 only to be told that it was double booked and had to fit his 5'6" frame on a well worn FJR1300. I even broke the key off in the gas tank on the 6th day of our tour. Fortunately, the ignition was on a separate key, as I pulled the tank apart to remove the lock and duct taped it to make the finish line. In 4 Corners my buddies pristine 1993 CBR1000F ate a rectifier, and he traded it in on a 2008 FJR1300 to continue on the trip.

We covered an incredible amount of countryside, and I would do it all again. I ran into a group that had Motoquest rentals dropped off in Albuquerque. If I had of know, I would have contacted Phil Freeman and gone that route as well. We covered 3,000 miles in 9 days.

map.jpg gang.jpg monument.jpg oreilly.jpg

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Great looking vacation.:) How's your butt....???:p

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sounds fun aside from the state of condition of your rental bikes.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hope you bitched to the rental folks and they gave you a decent discount!

I've ridden that area a couple of times but it has been 20+ years since the last time. Very pretty and interesting places along the way.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
What a pisser, but then again...you clocked a lot of Great American Southwest miles in those 9 days.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Man that looks like great fun.

Wow 3000 miles in 9 days. That works out to 333.333 miles per day.

Sure hope the seat was comfy...if not I feel sorry for your hemorrhoids!:emmersed:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was moving around on the seat a bit towards the end of the days, but after about the 4th day, I was in saddle shape. My custom earmolds start bothering me at about the day 5 point, but I was smart enough to put speakers in my helmet this time to give the ear canals a rest for a few hours at a time. I am somewhat deaf anyway.

FYI: My new Sena 20S communicators did not make it through the first rainstorm (wife's did fine). The friggin things are not waterproof like my SMH10's. Unit went haywire going into a crazy command loop, then the unit would freeze up randomly and had to be rebooted quite often the remainder of the trip. Did my research and found this to be a major issue with many buyers. Four days and still no word from Sena on an RMA to repair or replace the unit. When I get a new unit, I will crack it open and waterproof it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts