Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Malibu yesterday to check out the huge surf. Ran into a guy on a Kawi Z-1000 who lives and rides in the area.

He told me that the Poe Poe is cracking down on bikes with loud aftermarket exhausts. He got his info from some local cops he knows.

So is you are planning a ride in the canyons of the Bu (that would include the world famous snake) bee sure and keep an eye out for the man...cuz he bee watching for you.

Of course if your bike is a Harley with strait pipes they look the other way. Bunch of Communists. :( :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmm, good to know.

I rode the snake yesterday as well - on my way to check out the waves (which were spectacular)

No issues with the police, but I have the quiet Akra Ti with the baffle still in place.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Went down to Malibu yesterday to check out the huge surf. Ran into a guy on a Kawi Z-1000 who lives and rides in the area.

He told me that the Poe Poe is cracking down on bikes with loud aftermarket exhausts. He got his info from some local cops he knows.

So is you are planning a ride in the canyons of the Bu (that would include the world famous snake) bee sure and keep an eye out for the man...cuz he bee watching for you.

Of course if your bike is a Harley with strait pipes they look the other way. Bunch of Communists. :( :p
Thanks for the info...Good to know. I'll keep an eye out although I'm over 3000 miles away :cool:

Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ask the cop how many decibals is too loud, then ask him to show you what reading he got on his noise measuring device.. Douchebags will do anything to make a buck for the state.

New Jersey is probably the most unamerican state in the union... So you're bot alone brother.

I would never vote for Chris Christie in the republican primaries.

Kaiser

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ask the cop how many decibals is too loud, then ask him to show you what reading he got on his noise measuring device.. Douchebags will do anything to make a buck for the state.

New Jersey is probably the most unamerican state in the union... So you're bot alone brother.

I would never vote for Chris Christie in the republican primaries.

Kaiser
Yea Jersey has its Communists too but Cali is chock full with environmentalist nuts which include the state legislature. We are in a severe drought and some town wells are drying up but Sacramento continues to send 800 million acre feet of water down the river and into the Pacific because of a little 4 inch fish. I personally know farmers who have walked away from producing orchards and fields because there is no water.

Lets see... fish or people? Oh gosh I am sorry, I forgot. Fish are people too.

Sorry for the rant. I need to suit up and ride.... and let off a little steam.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yea Jersey has its Communists too but Cali if chock full with environmentalist nuts which include the state legislature. We are in a severe drought and some town wells are drying up but Sacramento continues to send 800 million acre feet of water down the river and into the Pacific because of a little 4 inch fish. I personally know farmers who have walked away from producing orchards and fields because there is no water.

Lets see... fish or people? Oh gosh I am sorry, I forgot. Fish are people too.

Sorry for the rant. I need to suit up and ride.... and let off a little steam.
What I never understood, is why did people start farming in the desert in the first place. Seems kinda like an oxymoron, farming & desert.

·
Registered
601 Posts
We are in a severe drought and some town wells are drying up but Sacramento continues to send 800 million acre feet of water down the river and into the Pacific because of a little 4 inch fish.
Those poor little fishies didn't choose to put golf courses in Palm Springs. :)

I just read that nearly half of Sacramento homes don't even have water meters.

Holy cow. Florida is blessed with an abundance of springs, but I think we still do better than that.

My front yard is xeriscaped, and I love it.

I hope you guys get some rain soon. I buy plenty of California-grown produce.

·
Registered
601 Posts
No issues with the police, but I have the quiet Akra Ti with the baffle still in place.
This reminds me. I pulled alongside a Harley the other day that I thought actually sounded GOOD.

Then I realized why. It had really good mufflers on it. It gave the engine a really nice tone (but quiet)--unlike 90% of the other Harleys around here.

I have the Akra Ti, too. Tone matters.

Volume not as much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We put in some of that synthetic lawn in our front and backyard last year to save on water and help mother nature. I'm sure the resources are being squandered in other places but each person doing their part goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those poor little fishies didn't choose to put golf courses in Palm Springs. :)

I just read that nearly half of Sacramento homes don't even have water meters.

Holy cow. Florida is blessed with an abundance of springs, but I think we still do better than that.

My front yard is xeriscaped, and I love it.

I hope you guys get some rain soon. I buy plenty of California-grown produce.
You must have what I call a "Palm Springs" front yard. Rocks grow really well in the desert!

The Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys climates are quite different than the desert areas like Palm Springs.

We actually get a fair amount of rain in the winter months. Years ago some resourceful engineers began to build dams up in the sierras to store water from rain and snow. It was a win win situation. Hydroelectric power and water for farming. As a result both valleys soon became the bread basket of the world due to the abundant farming produce.

It's just sad that the "water crisis" is largely man made and could have been avoided.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Due to the way left leaning, liberal, environazis, it is now illegal to run ANY aftermarket exhaust in California on a 2013 or later bike - unless it has a label clearly visible on the exhaust itself that it has passed EPA sound standards.

Here is an article: New California Motorcycle Exhaust Law - Ultimate MotorCycling Magazine

With all of the said - pretty much everyone runs an aftermarket exhaust - and I don't know anyone who has been hassled. Yet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I went out this morning here in the Phoenix metro area (chandler-glibert area) and the cops are THICK! Seriously I saw 5 people pulled over traps set all over the place.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Due to the way left leaning, liberal, environazis, it is now illegal to run ANY aftermarket exhaust in California on a 2013 or later bike - unless it has a label clearly visible on the exhaust itself that it has passed EPA sound standards.
I think I'd actually be fine with that, as I'm sure the Akrapovic would pass. It's rated the same db as stock but with a nice tone.

Harleys on the other hand.... I live a good way from a four-lane, but their pirate armadas still sound like a squadron of B-29 bombers coming through.

It's just obnoxious.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think I'd actually be fine with that, as I'm sure the Akrapovic would pass. It's rated the same db as stock but with a nice tone.
Unfortunately - I don't think they bother to try - as there is no clear label on the exhaust saying it meets the standard - without that it is illegal. They went with this labeling thing because actually getting out a decibel meter and measuring is too much for the cops - and would make a huge hassle with how far way, what angle, what revs, etc. So basically the lame rule is - no label - it is illegal. But like I said - I so far have not seen any cops harassing people for it.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Here is an article: New California Motorcycle Exhaust Law - Ultimate MotorCycling Magazine

With all of the said - pretty much everyone runs an aftermarket exhaust - and I don't know anyone who has been hassled. Yet.
Does the FZ09 stock exhaust have this sticker? I wonder if they will enforce this like they do the DOT helmet requirement. You know the skull buckets with the DOT sticker?

·
Registered
877 Posts
If the Akra TI on my FZ 09 is too loud, there's always this............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts