Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a long line of carbureted, heavy flywheel bikes, the FZ is really messing with my ability to make smooth shifts in the lower gears. The revs fall so quickly I have a hard time with timing, matching the revs with the throttle. I've been "soft-clutching" the gear changes instead of just dumping the clutch (like I'm used to, and could do pretty well with the other bikes) to help smooth it out. Today I tried a different strategy... something called "B" mode... and wouldn't you know it... I can shift much smoother clutching normally. Go figure... :eek:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Coming from a long line of carbureted, heavy flywheel bikes, the FZ is really messing with my ability to make smooth shifts in the lower gears. The revs fall so quickly I have a hard time with timing, matching the revs with the throttle. I've been "soft-clutching" the gear changes instead of just dumping the clutch (like I'm used to, and could do pretty well with the other bikes) to help smooth it out. Today I tried a different strategy... something called "B" mode... and wouldn't you know it... I can shift much smoother clutching normally. Go figure... :eek:
Have you had the ECU reflash done?

Made a world of difference to the smoothness of my upshifts. In fact it made all the difference. As did eliminating all the slack from the throttle cable.

B mode is a lot smoother on the shifts though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been holding off on the flash in favor of a programmable option (waiting for the dust to settle)... plus there's the issue of crossing the border and making sure the paperwork is correct for re-entry so no taxes are levied.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I've never really had any issues with the smooth shifting of this bike, but I can certainly see how it could be an issue for some. Take your time and slowly work on it each and every time you ride the bike. It'll come to you if you think about it every time you shift, and before you know it, it will be a muscle memory thing and all will be wonderful in FZ09 land! Practice, practice, practice!

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
473 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. The higher you rev the easier it is to be smooth. ECU reflash helped a lot. Can't remember the last time I rode in B mode.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It sounds like the issue I had in the beginning, until I adjusted the clutch lever free play (knuckle bend-friction zone) and adjusting the shift pedal made a true differences. Ohhh and of course your rear brake-lever as well, it was why to high for me... now I can safely shave of speed mid corners.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely more practice needed... and I'll tighten up the cables just a touch. I'll go all Yoda on it if I have to!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My tranny is not as notchy as it was early on. I have about 3,500 miles on her now. Also, I am doing partial throttle quick shifts more often, not allowing the back torque to load the transmission

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had the same problem rev matching when I rode in B mode, now I pretty much ride in A all the time and I find it much easier to match when shifting down into 3rd, 2nd & 1st.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts