Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an app that tells people when I am riding my motorcycle, and says to get in front of me and go under the speed limit? I commute to work, 30 miles each way, and mostly back roads or state routes, no freeway, and most of it is straight and flat. There are however, two parts of the trip that have twisties, neither of them are real incredible, but fun nonetheless. However, I swear, every time I get to those two points in my trip, I will get stuck behind a little old lady, or a semi, or tractor, or random idiot that goes well below the speed limit. I wish I was exaggerating, but it is EVER FREAKING DAY! With having as many kids as I do and all their schedules I have to work around, riding to work is where I get to do the most riding period, but it is getting so bad about getting stuck behind these people that I no longer enjoy it, and have even thought about selling off my bike. I will say, I don't get stuck in "real" traffic, I don't have to sit, it is just slow everywhere, rarely do I get to enjoy the speed limit, and rarely do I get into high gear. Last week I got to ride through one of the "fun" sections at a blistering 9mph! No idea why, get to the end and there isn't any thing there that would explain why I was stuck going so slow.

I have tried different routes to work, and it doesn't seem to be any better.

Ok, rant over. I am just annoyed, I was having a good ride in today except for the two twisty areas I mentioned, and wanted to vent.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I just cut the mustard and pass em.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I run into the same thing quite often. Usually I just pass them unless it's impossible. Fortunately on these type of bikes, it's not impossible too often. May through August are great because I can go out after dinner and there's still a lot of daylight left and no commuter traffic.

Yesterday afternoon I was out and 2 bikes pull up behind me at a traffic light. A single cylinder Buell Blast and some type of Suzuki sport bike. It was in a shopping district and stopped at the next light and this squid on the Buell pulls up next to me and starts gesturing at my bike and yelling something at me. I had earplugs so I have no idea what he was saying. Light turns green and he starts swerving back and forth and then cuts in front of me in traffic. We get to the next light and he's in front of me. Light turns green and he tucks in and hammers it. I'm pretty amused at this point and trying to figure out what this moron is thinking. He was right next to me staring at my bike. I guess he was not familiar with an MT 10. Hammered it for a 1/4 mile or so and he was invisible in my mirrors. I'm stopped at a super long stop light and it took this guy a full 2 minutes to catch up. He had nothing else to say or do.

I've had this happen a lot of times on my XSR900, FJ09 and MT 10. I can only guess that because they're compact bikes with standard location handlebars that people perceive these bikes as small bore, low performance motorcycles. It ends up making for quite a bit of fun when you unleash it on them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
. I can only guess that because they're compact bikes with standard location handlebars that people perceive these bikes as small bore, low performance motorcycles.
Or they're just having fun like we are too. I don't immediately perceive every other rider out there as 'competition.'

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2am rides are the best, city streets are dead, it's another world.
I purposely go into work at 5 am so I can leave at 2:30 to avoid these issues, but apparently it isn't working.

And obviously passing is an option, if it is ever possible, it's just usually not possible, especially on the twisties. If I have a safe clearance, then of course I pass, but I am cautious in my old age.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Riding a bike means you never have to slow for traffic. Well, apart from a few seconds checking if it's safe to pass. Other wise what's the point? You may as well drive a cage or a trike.
That was one of the reasons I quit our Ulysses bike club. They wanted to follow trucks all the time.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
Or they're just having fun like we are too. I don't immediately perceive every other rider out there as 'competition.'
I don't either but if they're purposely trying to get my attention and want to give it a go, I will sometimes.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
There’s a cool little freeway entrance in Monterey, if you’ve ever been up there for the Laguna races, that starts at a light on Fremont street and begins with a right hand bend, followed by a big sweeping left, and then slightly back to the right as you merge onto highway 68. If you’re first in line - and in California, when you’re on a motorcycle, you’re always first in line - you can have some real fun.

I was up there for the races in ‘87 with my new FZR1000, and as I was approaching the stoplight, there was a guy on a VFR1000R in the next lane, with a license plate that read “FSTRNUR”. We split the lanes up to the front, and as we waited for the green he looked at me and started revving his engine. The light turned and we took off. As we went through the right hander I pulled up on his left side, and as we flicked over to the left he backed off and let me slip by. I railed the sweeper and pinned the throttle as I hit the freeway, and then I looked back...

Turns out, he was not “FSTRN I WAS”... 😆

·
Registered
212 Posts
Guess we need to get used to more and more traffic as population increases. I know places that I used to go ride are now choked with slow moving cages especially on the weekends.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
When I get behind a 'slow' person on my favorite pass I generally pull over and wait 3-5 minutes and then take off again. If it has been a while since I passed someone going the oposite direction I'll turn around and ride 'back' and then turn around and catch up to the slow person again and again. Eventually they get the hint and pull over.

·
Registered
645 Posts
In a similar way to psycoreefer, If you are in a gap between 2 packs of slow vehicles, when you catch the leading pack, back off to very slow speed, when the trailing pack catches you, take off and catch the ones ahead. Repeat as necessary.

The point is to enjoy the twisties rather than be the first one there.
If you want to be first, leave the day before, or the day before that... It's a zen thing

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
When I get behind a 'slow' person on my favorite pass I generally pull over and wait 3-5 minutes and then take off again. If it has been a while since I passed someone going the oposite direction I'll turn around and ride 'back' and then turn around and catch up to the slow person again and again. Eventually they get the hint and pull over.
I maybe should have been clear that 'catching up' generaly involves me running up behind them at well over the posted limit, engine screaming.....that seems to drive the point home for even the least observent folks.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
The one good thing about Covid last year was that for about 4 months the roads were deserted and I racked up the miles. New England is an early to bed early to rise population so during the summer months after dinner is usually a good time to ride.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Luckily our cops seemed to give bikers the blind eye. Rightly so to, you can't catch or pass on a virus when in full kit and moving quickly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Last week I got to ride through one of the "fun" sections at a blistering 9mph! No idea why, get to the end and there isn't any thing there that would explain why I was stuck going so slow.
That's why all my best gopro videos are short, and end with a close up view of the back end of a truck. (or mini-van)

You are not alone.

Reactions: gjgarre
1 - 17 of 17 Posts