Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Corbin seat and I wear Bilt mesh riding pants when I put on the front brake I slide forward all the time and have to push my self back into the back of the seat.I know it's a new seat and I might need to wear in some first.Any suggestions on how to keep me from sliding is there something to spray on my riding pants to keep me in place.Let the jokes begin I'm sure some of you have some ha ha.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Grippy tank pads ala TechSpec will help.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
God blessed you with the perfect parts to keep this from happening......Knees! Squeeze the tank with them.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This will definitely work:

For a less permanent solution, put some hook & loop on the seat & your ass.

In all seriousness, is the seat slippery because of the material or does it have a greasy film on it? Tried wiping it down with anything?

+1 on gripping with your knees.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You are not riding wrong. I have been telling anyone who asks about that seat a simple warning: they coat it with garbage at the factory to gloss it up. I had a custom seat made and watched them do it. I had them reshape the seat later and they recoated it with that greasy crap. I tried almost every leather conditioner and cleaner known to man. With very little improvement. Use Lexol.

Use Lexol cleaner and it will cut that grease off and leave the leather a dull grey, then use the conditioner and it will gloss it up to almost a tacky gloss finish. The instructions tell you to buff the excess conditioner off, the more you buff the slippier the seat will get, so you can decide the level of tack you want.

That grease is all over your ass too, so clean that up and you'll be good to go. I use textile pants as well.

No amount of knee strength will overcome the Corbin oil slick.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
You are not riding wrong. I have been telling anyone who asks about that seat a simple warning: they coat it with garbage at the factory to gloss it up. I had a custom seat made and watched them do it. I had them reshape the seat later and they recoated it with that greasy crap. I tried almost every leather conditioner and cleaner known to man. With very little improvement. Use Lexol.

Use Lexol cleaner and it will cut that grease off and leave the leather a dull grey, then use the conditioner and it will gloss it up to almost a tacky gloss finish. The instructions tell you to buff the excess conditioner off, the more you buff the slippier the seat will get, so you can decide the level of tack you want.

That grease is all over your ass too, so clean that up and you'll be good to go. I use textile pants as well.

Wow, I didn't know that..........kind of like putting Armor All on your tires.......even on the tread!

Reactions: sparker

·
Registered
320 Posts
As a temporary remedy I used extra shelf liner from my toolbox while waiting for the Lexol to arrive. Worked like a charm, just tough to position in the wind ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I slide forward on the corbin seat even when I'm engine breaking lol. Right now I just deal with it

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that..........kind of like putting Armor All on your tires.......even on the tread!
Wait, you're not supposed to put ArmorAll on the tread? :eek:

I wiped my seat down with a rag that apparently had some Pledge on it once. Won't be making that mistake twice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oh man thank you so much and I do use my knees Triplethreat but no amount of knee pressure will keep you from sliding and I can't stand those Tech Spec they look like crap.

Reactions: sparker

·
Registered
313 Posts
Alright this is just nonsense. I already catch enough hell at my local bike night for not having any chrome or a stretched swingarm, if I showed up with unglossed tires I'd get laughed right out the parking lot. I use a mix of Black Magic and coconut oil for that wet wet look.

·
Registered
657 Posts
assless chapps in the meantime?

:puke:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Wait, you're not supposed to put ArmorAll on the tread? :eek:

I wiped my seat down with a rag that apparently had some Pledge on it once. Won't be making that mistake twice.
At the track, everything is about being smooth, so some guys will purposely make their seats a little slicker so that they can transition from side to side on the seat (example: through a quick chicane) without having to raise their butt off the seat so much.........much more fluid action like that, so there is a purpose for a slippery seat........just not so much on the street riding arena.

Reactions: BMcEL

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Alright this is just nonsense. I already catch enough hell at my local bike night for not having any chrome or a stretched swingarm, if I showed up with unglossed tires I'd get laughed right out the parking lot. I use a mix of Black Magic and coconut oil for that wet wet look.
ANSWER: Stop going to the local bike nights where the stretched swingarm/chrome whore/poser wanna bees all hang out! :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Folks, this stuff is the answer for a slippery Corbin: Just Once | Does the trick without the slick

If all you use it on is seats, a single spray bottle will last forever. I still have a third of a bottle I bought over 10 years ago, when my wife found it to use on our WaveRunners.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I spent a day in the saddle wearing jeans and it took the gloss off of the seat. I didn't realize it was something Corbin was doing - I thought it was their leather supplier. I didn't want to use any chemicals to clean it off and possibly mess with the leather - but I could tell my textile pants would slide like crazy. I don't have any tankpads either - I've tried a couple on different bikes and never really liked them. I hadn't been washing my riding pants much (only wiping them with a wet washcloth) - but I gave them a thorough wash last week and noticed that it improved the grip too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Folks, this stuff is the answer for a slippery Corbin: Just Once | Does the trick without the slick

If all you use it on is seats, a single spray bottle will last forever. I still have a third of a bottle I bought over 10 years ago, when my wife found it to use on our WaveRunners.
Maybe I'd try it on something besides my $500 leather seat. The "how it works" looks like an ad straight out of Idiocracy. "Makes stuff shiny and last forever! It's got electrolytes!"

Not to say there is no merit, but when they can't say straight up what it is, I'm hesitant. I have yet to see a leather conditioner say "safe for vinyl and plastic" so it's odd to see this say it works on anything.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I spent a day in the saddle wearing jeans and it took the gloss off of the seat. I didn't realize it was something Corbin was doing - I thought it was their leather supplier. I didn't want to use any chemicals to clean it off and possibly mess with the leather - but I could tell my textile pants would slide like crazy. I don't have any tankpads either - I've tried a couple on different bikes and never really liked them. I hadn't been washing my riding pants much (only wiping them with a wet washcloth) - but I gave them a thorough wash last week and noticed that it improved the grip too.
Corbin's site actually tells you to use a leather specific cleaner and conditioner, if the seat dries out and cracks they will not cover it in warranty, due to neglect. If you keep the cover in good shape, they basically honor it for life with free reshaping and replacement of rubber boots, etc. they don't put that in writing, but that is what everyone at the factory told me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts