Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha XSR 900
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

The clutch on my 2018 XSR900 has noticeably less bite than it did a couple months ago. It's not slipping yet, but I want to get a good idea of what kind of work will need to be done once it does go. As far as I know, my model year has a slipper clutch standard; what does this mean? Can I work on it as I would any other clutch, or is it different? I did already find the part number (B90-W001G) I'd need for my bike.

First bike, so I don't have a lot of experience with bike clutches, and I haven't been able to find any walkthrough's on this forum. Is there anything I should know, or is it as simple as getting in there and figuring it out?

·
Registered
226 Posts
First let me say that I'm not a clutch expert or have a lot of experience with it.
If you look at videos online about the slipper clutch, it's not something that wears out as fast as a clutch.
It's supposed to release the clutch pressure if the bike is still moving and you're not pulling the clutch lever. [Somewhat similar to ABS]
Try searching for MT 09 clutch replacement instead. They're very similar.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
That kit looks to be the right one for your bike. I would get a service manual for the bike because there is a difference in some of the fibers and they must go in a certain way..with-out the manual you will not be able to put it back the right way . Why so early on a clutch ? lots of clutch-up wheelies ? If so check out the basket for breakage.. I have a 2015 FZ09 with 56,000 miles and still on the factory clutch and still going strong.

·
Registered
Yamaha XSR 900
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why so early on a clutch ? lots of clutch-up wheelies ?
Define lots haha. I've been trying to clutch up here and there but definitely not a daily thing.

I have a 2015 FZ09 with 56,000 miles and still on the factory clutch and still going strong.
I see. So I shouldn't be experiencing that kind of wear at around 11k mi. Do bike clutches wear differently than ones on a car? Because it's pretty common to hear of clutch jobs on most "driver's" cars so I thought it might go at the same rate.

I'll look into acquiring a manual so I can do it right the first time.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
As long as the clutch is not abused it could last the life of the bike. All depends on how it is used, you abuse it like anything else it will not last that long. The clutch in these bikes are not bullet proof by any means and do not take a liking to clutch -ups !

·
Registered
226 Posts
Slipper clutch and Clutch is the same thing just operate a bit differently and they both can wear out.
When you say clutch I'm assuming you mean clutch plates. Slipper clutch is an additional component that disengages the clutch for a brief moment similar to a hammer drill. It is not meant to wear out as quickly as a clutch plate

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
When you say clutch I'm assuming you mean clutch plates. Slipper clutch is an additional component that disengages the clutch for a brief moment similar to a hammer drill. It is not meant to wear out as quickly as a clutch plate
The clutch as a whole..Basket , metal plates ,fibers and springs .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts