Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking come winter time I am looking to do an exhaust upgrade along with ECU flash. Didn't want to do it during riding season, I couldn't do that to myself. I am wondering if a full exhaust system is really worth spending about $500 over the price of a slip on. These bikes are already fast enough so performance isn't that big of an issue with me. Just want peoples opinions on the subject.

Thank you!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Considering you and I have the same "faster" silver version, I'll share my wisdom-

If you live in an area that is as restrictive as California when it comes to exhaust & emissions control, like I do.. You might consider opting for the full-system so you can preserve your OEM exhaust. The performance gains between slip-on and full system is marginal.. If you were running the FZ09 as a dedicated track bike, the full system makes sense.

In my case, I wanted a little more volume so the deer and cage drivers would notice me. I went with the GPR slip-on and installed it yesterday.. Both baffles/DB killers are still installed and it's got plenty of grumbles. Install was easy, took about 1.5 hrs from start to finish, and well worth the $350.

My thread is here if you want to see pics: http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance-suspension/7636-gpr-furore-slip.html

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha "faster" silver version, love it. Thank you I think i will be lookin at that come fall! Full exhaust just seems soooo expensive to not just go slip on. I do want it louder for deer and other drivers as well. And you say that one has a good sound on it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The only reason I'm personally considering a full system over a slip on is because of this bike's one piece exhaust. I'm more than capable of cutting it apart myself, but honestly all the slipons look kinda jury rigged to me, which would annoy me to no end. The only reasonably priced slip ons are the GPR and the M4, right around $400. All the others are 500-600 which at that point you may as well pay $800 and get a full system. So I'm probably gonna get either the Brock's or the Akrapovic Carbon as those are the most reasonably priced full systems I've found that I like. If you want a really good price on a full system look at IXIL, they're around $600

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was looking at those Akrapovic and I know what you mean. So I have an extended warranty, would a slip-on exhaust or full system exhaust void my warranty?

·
Registered
673 Posts
The only reason I'm personally considering a full system over a slip on is because of this bike's one piece exhaust. I'm more than capable of cutting it apart myself, but honestly all the slipons look kinda jury rigged to me, which would annoy me to no end. The only reasonably priced slip ons are the GPR and the M4, right around $400. All the others are 500-600 which at that point you may as well pay $800 and get a full system. So I'm probably gonna get either the Brock's or the Akrapovic Carbon as those are the most reasonably priced full systems I've found that I like. If you want a really good price on a full system look at IXIL, they're around $600
$350 shipped on eBay for my GPR Furore.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If your not worried about performance and just sound and weight go slip on
Hey Vcyclenut-

I just sent you a message on your website about my GPR slip-on and what you recommend for fueling. Planning to ship you my ECU when you're back on June 2nd

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't have the "faster" silver version, only the Mach 3 Yellow...and I'm doing a slip-on. Like others said, this bike has enough power.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does anyone know if this will void my warranty?
I doubt it. Engine internals, frame, etc will all still be covered.. Exhaust won't be covered once you cut into it... but who cares, it's a 1yr factory warranty anyway.

Reactions: JDub0813

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt it. Engine internals, frame, etc will all still be covered.. Exhaust won't be covered once you cut into it... but who cares, it's a 1yr factory warranty anyway.
Yeah that is the thing, I got an extended 3 year warranty with mine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeah that is the thing, I got an extended 3 year warranty with mine.
Pure dealer profit with those warranties. That's why they push them. Way I see it, it's like electronics: If it doesn't break in the first year, chances are it will be solid and last many years. Giving the dealer money for something you will likely never use.

Also, most people don't keep a bike that long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get that and believe me I debated it. Few bucks a month to extend warranty on something I will own a while seemed right. I owned my 2003 ninja 500 for 4-5 years, this thing.... I am thinking longer and sell it and use that for a down payment on a 2023 FZ-09 haha...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well, if a company makes money on warranties, and they do, it means people are paying more for the warranty, than warranty repairs cost. Simple. An aftermarket anything won't void your warranty, however, if they can prove that part caused a problem, or you messed up something in the process of installing it... that part won't be covered. No biggy. If you can afford an exhaust, you can afford a possible repair bill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like the idea of a slip-on as well. The factory primary tubes are actually pretty nice, so a M4 for under $400 would add some tone and drop 10lbs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I went with an M4 slip on because i didn't think the little extra HP from the full systems at the time were worth it. I'm super happy with my choice. However, I live near the coast so my stock header is getting destroyed by the salt in the air. I am debating on getting a full system (probably the Akra Carbon) and ceramic coating everything, or finding a stock header and ceramic coating it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went with an M4 slip on because i didn't think the little extra HP from the full systems at the time were worth it. I'm super happy with my choice. However, I live near the coast so my stock header is getting destroyed by the salt in the air. I am debating on getting a full system (probably the Akra Carbon) and ceramic coating everything, or finding a stock header and ceramic coating it.
How was the M4 install? Was the weight difference appreciable over stock? I like by the beach as well, but no issues with corrosion yet (crosses fingers).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts