Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skunk Werkz: Ohlins GSXR Shock, Fuel Syst / Line Mods, & Block Off Plate Alternative

This is one of those situations where 1 thing leads to several others . ( Butterfly Effect )

Had just installed an M 4 slip on and a Gixxer 1000 Ohlins rear shock.

This lead to the tank coming off to trim plastic tray , send ECU off to Stoltec, and plug up exhaust smog hoses.

Changing 1 thing would lead to another.

Shock had even larger reservoir than last conversion and was crowding the tank fuel line connection.

To follow, step by step pics of what transpired .

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Needed more clearance under tank fuel line connection for Ohlins shock reservoir.

The line connector passes over the shock reservoir at an angle.

"Quick" disconnect fitting fat and didn't help matters any.

1st, rotated fuel pump flange about 35 to 40 deg. as marked in picture, new locator made.

Nipple cut just before rib to give more corner clearance and so less side load leverage would be on fitting.

FI hose clamped on with FI type clamps.

Black curved line shows path of hose.

Hose was stress relieved with hot air gun and let cool to take the shape of the curvature.

Hose still held the shape when released.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel level float needed more clearance inside.

Bent part of it down and re-bent the shaft to move float 1 inch shorter on the arm.

Was later tested and still has full range of motion and fuel gauge still works full range.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the air box was off, made some press fit plugs quicker than I could move radiator and install plates.

The right side a bit larger ID than the left, both light press fit and loctite used.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel line changed for easier access and more clearance for the shock.

5/16 " FI hose clamped to quick disconnect fitting at injector end and gas tank fitting that was cut as shown in prior picture.

Uses a 5/16 : nipple with junction ti AN fitting.

Easier to access from left side insead of being buried under the tank.

2 wrenches and fitting much easier to loosen than so-called quick disconnect fitting at tank end.

Orange stuff is slip over heat and abrasion shielding.

I later gave the line extra length and another loop along with more shielding covering the exposed part you see.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another example of Yamaha : Wear a full face helmet to disquise the problem "

On the injector end, the clamp screw too close to the fuel line at 3 o clock, so wrapped instead of fix design problem.

I trimmed a nub off the rubber manifold and rotated clamp away from hose to about 4 o clock position.

Next time I have the airbox off, I may flip clamp over , screw at 6 o clock and use allen wrench from it's right side.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not like I didn't have a homemade tool for the " quick " disconnect, but it was still a PITA to get loose.

Tool is hose long nose pliers with square nuts welded on.

It was clamped on a piece of metal same thickness as connector to get correct angle of contact surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts