Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a relatively new model, mods usually from parts originally from other bikes.

Got a Penske double clicker with remote reservoir.

Due to the crowded area where a reservoir would go, a remote hose connected version was searched on Ebay.

Got one originally designed for a 2006 R 6.

The shorter eye to eye length made this a harder find than the FZ 09 done earlier this year.

The R 6 Penske was actually about 1/2 inch shorter, and was just about at the limit of the adjuster.

Made a longer clevis to solve that and have at least 1/4 adjustment + or - the OEM FZ 07 length.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Because of a different ratio on the suspension, the OEM FZ 07 uses a stiffer rear spring than the FZ 09.

I ( at 230 Lbs ) use a 105 ohlins rear spring on a FZ 09, and use a 115 on the FZ 07 to get equal sag

and performance with the same preload on the spring. Has about 8 to 10 mm preload.

Was topping out a bit at 30 mm sag, so set up at 35 mm sag and medium dampening to cure that.

Penske has collars with holes that a straight rod can be put into to turn , instead of the PITA

notches requiring a spanner that tends to booger up the slots.

Also has big flat needle bearings to make collar easier to turn.

Home made clevis has thicker top to get the extra 1/2 length I wanted.

Turned a 1 inch od spot on top to give better wrench / nut clearance .

Small spot milled flush to for single bolt mount of strip of metal for quick removal when shock is pulled.

Shock easier to get at to remove compared to FZ 09.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The garage settings were spot on when run on Palomar for the 1st time with the just added rear shock.

Made no changes after the 1st run which involved chasing one of the faster guys up Palomar who was running a GSXR 1000.

He had a head start that was cut down to about 2 car lengths after 7 miles of climbing The Hill ( 7 % average grade )

Pixoritdidnthappen since my Go Pro didn't want to start .

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today's temps were a bit cooler, at low 60's.

Didn't see more than a dozen bikes at 1 time, yet came upon 3 crashes on just 1 run back down The Hill.

No injuries, just knackered bikes.

Riders ranged from a newbie that biffed on the 1st corner on an R - 1, to one of the regular , faster riders that had a front tire step out.

It was a slick, to boot.

He bit on a downhill lefty.

More plastic for The Tree of Shame.

Had to run back to the house, less than a mile away , return on a quad with a full back of kitty litter.

The 1st corner crash had oil clear across the lane from fog line to center line.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eye to eye too short at 12 1/4 inch.

FZ 09 is 13 inch even.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:cool: Good work on the bike , bet it handles really well.
Yes, it does.

As mentioned earlier , garage settings and experience from a prior FZ 09 project,

had the FZ 07 spot on making it's 1st run on Palomar with the Penske rear shock

and no changes anticipated other than

trimming the foot peg feelers a bit more for lean angle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lookin' good, guess you can get rid of the blue painters tape with your marks from setting up the rear then. Although I've been known to leave my tape on for months trying to get set up to my preferences, nice job on hitting the mark right from the start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts