Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Devil is in the details.

With any major mods, the small detail work can take the most time.

Note the key switch is mounted at an angle like the OEM version.

Headlight brackets are more inward to clear the clamp bolts.

Spacers along with long screws that are turned at the tips ( circled ) to make easier to line up with threaded holes.

Front end is from a 2005 Ducati Multistrada S Model.

The later version forks too fat and the trees too wide, but the early version a good fit.

The biggest problem was finding an Ohlins front end long enough to match the length of the OEM FZ 09.

The FZ 07 conversion was much easier in that the forks on it were almost the same length as a Ducati 1098 s , which is more common.

Had one on the FZ 07 a month after I bought it, but took me almost a year to score a Multistrada front end through Ebay for $ 800.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ducati top clamp from a 996 and was skeletized.

Holes milled and filled for bar risers.

Larger stem hole filled in with a combo flange and insert.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fitment stage:

Just about done.

Found an all red front fender after this pic was taken.

Update, red fender:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May get some radial mounts, later.

For now, the side mount Brembos seem ok and may just need time for the pads to bed in.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The FZ 07 was an easier conversion.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you NEED to replace the 'trees' or would the Ohlins from a Mulstistrada fit in the original FZ09 ones?
Tubes are larger so duc trees had to be used.

Aprilia ohlins may have been a closer fit to Yamaha trees but would have been 3 inches too short for

the fz 09.

Reactions: Tonester71

·
Registered
612 Posts
I guessing by the yellow coil you're also using Öhlins in back too.. Which shock model is that?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm not sure when Duc started outfitting the multistrada S with the electronic ohlins set up but i road a 2012 and it was amazing how easy it was to tweak the suspension specs right from the cockpit.

I'm assuming the 05 was too early for this technology and even if it did have it, probably would have been a huge pain in the ass to wire all of that?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have to ask, what is the advantage of doing this over a complete cartridge upgrade kit, such as the Traxxion Dynamics ones or the GP Suspension ones?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to ask, what is the advantage of doing this over a complete cartridge upgrade kit, such as the Traxxion Dynamics ones or the GP Suspension ones?
Cheaper and has ALL Ohlins components.

Also. more pose value. :cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure when Duc started outfitting the multistrada S with the electronic ohlins set up but i road a 2012 and it was amazing how easy it was to tweak the suspension specs right from the cockpit.

I'm assuming the 05 was too early for this technology and even if it did have it, probably would have been a huge pain in the ass to wire all of that?
The electronics would be a pita and the later front end wider and wouldn't fit in the tank recess area.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
What exactly did you do to add the "spacers" in the top triple clamp for the bar risers?

I really dig the two tone front fender by the way, nicely done.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What exactly did you do to add the "spacers" in the top triple clamp for the bar risers?

I really dig the two tone front fender by the way, nicely done.
Are you talking about the actual 8 mm thick washers or the skeletal inserts ?

The inserts are 3/4 " plate that I traced the shape with a scribe with the top tree on top.

After they were cut ut and fitted, they were welded from underneath.

The tree creates a recess underneath since it's a quarter inch thicker ( 1 " ) with insert flush on top.

In this 1st one, stud holes counterbored 1/4 inch to work with short OEM studs.

14 mm flex loc nuts used.

Reactions: carbonr1
1 - 20 of 21 Posts