Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting on factory ECU flash and headlight recall fix. Headlight alone takes an hour I've been told. ECUADOR report to come after the 45 min ride home.

Took a bolt out for a cruise while waiting. Fun little bike but damn uncomfortable position for me. Feet almost directly under me but close to me. Left me with cramped and sore legs. They have some damn aggressive pricing on their cruisers here at Mukwonago Yamaha. They have a white FZ07 on the floor too. No Niners though.

Checking out a Triumph America on the way home. Looking to scratch the cruiser itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The service manager called to tell me that the headlight fix came in. It is just an extension cord. Two screws, unplug, plug into one end and plug the other end into the headlight, align and put two screws back in. Five minutes, tops. They may be paid for one hour of labor from the factory, but it only takes a few minutes. It took me five to replace the two running lights.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My shop said that it paid .5 hrs but the two they did so far took just over an hr. Said it was a huge PITA

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The extension goes between the bulb and the normal bulb connection on the end of the harness.

Edit, seems I was wrong, read further in the thread. Why it has to be that complicated I don't know.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The extension goes between the bulb and the normal bulb connection on the end of the harness.
I received the Recall Notice today too. I've changed out the bulb for a white PIAA Bulb. Could the dealer have. Prob with the changed bulb...???

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Only if your headlight catches on fire, the whole bike burns up, and you try to make a warranty claim on it. ;)

Edit: chances are they won't even notice, they don't need to take the bulb out of the housing etc.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Where does the extension go and how does it have to be installed. Maybe you're over simplifying the install? I just got the recall notice today.
Bob is correct. I have messed with my share of headlight connections, and you remove the top two bolts and rotate the housing forward for easy access. Simple to unplug really.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bob is correct. I have messed with my share of headlight connections, and you remove the top two bolts and rotate the housing forward for easy access. Simple to unplug really.
Good to know, maybe I'll have to show the mechanics at the dealership how to do it. Don't trust these guys out here too much.

- Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening to all. New to the forum and just picked up my fz09 this afternoon it is awesome can't wait to break in...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Total time for reflash of ECU and headlight issue. Time veeeeeeerrrrryyy well spent. Not regarding the headlight, but the ECU flash. Spent 90% of the ride home in STD mode, and its a new bike. Much more linear throttle response but no loss of performance that I could tell. Rode over some very rough roads both ways to and from the dealership and on the way there, bumps produced throttle jerks. Until I went into B mode on the way to the dealership. On the same roads on the way home, no issues, and both lanes are equally bumpy! <G>

If you're still riding with the stock ECU programming, get the dealer flash done.

JW

The service manager called to tell me that the headlight fix came in. It is just an extension cord. Two screws, unplug, plug into one end and plug the other end into the headlight, align and put two screws back in. Five minutes, tops. They may be paid for one hour of labor from the factory, but it only takes a few minutes. It took me five to replace the two running lights.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've been on the fench for some time as I like the snap it has but my long time riding buddy got his done today and loves it so I have an appointment for next week. the one thing I like is its yamaha and its free. I got along with the stock setup so good that I would never spend money to reflash it , but I know my friend well and if he likes it I'am in. RR:cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
The headlight fix is not an extension of what's there. The new harness is hooked into the left grip cluster that houses the headlight switch. Then routes to the back of the headlight with a new plug. The old plug is cut off where the wires come out of the large split loom near the fork tree. Sorry for not knowing technical names.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My vote is with an after market flash, but yes, if you don't go that way then get the Yamaha flash. It has to be better than Yamaha's 2nd, 3rd tries at getting the CCT right lol.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The headlight fix is not an extension of what's there. The new harness is hooked into the left grip cluster that houses the headlight switch. Then routes to the back of the headlight with a new plug. The old plug is cut off where the wires come out of the large split loom near the fork tree. Sorry for not knowing technical names.
They actually CUT the old plug off the harness? There is no way in hell I want my dealer techs doing ANY cutting and re wiring on my bike. It hasn't been an issue for me in seven months of owning it, and if it becomes one, I'll do what Doug did...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts