·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Guys, I have no idea what the deal was.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
554 Posts
Whoa!! What happened? I saw the unofficial owners club thing this morning but figured I just hadn't been paying attention or something. I look away for 30 minutes and now its a whole new site! Wassup?

·
Registered
232 Posts
ya i got to type in my name and password every time now it used to remember it for me some ones toes must have got stepped on ..

·
Registered
232 Posts
just typed in fz09 forums.com and another forum pops up must have been a copy right thing and and we lost so we are now fz09.org

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes Please inform us what happened? someone had to know what was going on before the shirts were made? The name of the forum does not matter its the people who participate that make the forum what it is.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i got to type in my name and password every time now it used to remember it for me some ones toes must have got stepped on ..
You can tell your browser etc to remember your sign in, I just needed to do it once for the new URL. If you don't figure it out then ask the forum, say what browser you are using etc. I'm not a 'puter expert, I was just able to do it for myself lol. When I gave my user name and pass I got a little pop up asking if I wanted it to be automatic etc.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello guys,

I am deeply saddened by the last 24 hours.

We were contacted yesterday by Yamaha on two separate occasions. The first time was quite cordial, and the second was more forceful. The long and the short of it is that they, Yamaha, want the url YamahaFZ09.com, and they want it "immediately." We tried to reason with their representative and make them aware that there was an active and thriving enthusiast base that operated at this address, and they were unconcerned with any disruption that their demand would cause to the existing community. They wanted what was "due to them."

In this, as you all have noticed, we have been forced to move to another url, www.fz09.org. We are actively working to smooth the transition to this new state of things as much as we can as we do not want to disrupt the community any more than we have to. Our commitment is to this community and all of you that have made this community the #1 Yamaha FZ-09 enthusiast community on the internet. I can only imagine this is what has led Yamaha to our site. Being successful has made people sit up and take notice. Unfortunately, this attention is not the kind that we were looking for.

At first thought, having Yamaha contact you about your website is great news, as I would have thought that we garnered enough attention that Yamaha would like to work with us to begin supporting the community with the help of a Yamaha Customer Care Representative on the site. This was not the case. They instead wanted to take the url without care of what sort of waves it might make with the enthusiasts of their awesome product, the FZ-09. It is a case of the proverbial "big kid" invading the sandbox and taking whatever toys they wanted.

We have put almost a year of our lives into this site to get it off of the ground, and make it the great, knowledgeable, and friendly enthusiast site that it is, and now we are made to walk away from all the brand recognition and site awareness that we have established over the last months and months. For what? For Yamaha to have a URL that fits their marketing scheme?

We have sought legal council to explore our options. For now, we are forced to comply with the requests of Yamaha, as we do not want to cause a situation to develop, and we are not prepared to get into a fierce legal battle.

As I said before, I am deeply upset to report this news, and all of us behind the scenes are remiss and in a bit of shell-shock. The work that we have put into this site has gone by the wayside, and we are being forced to start over.

Thank you for your support,

NickJ & The Rest of the "ORIGINAL YamahaFZ09.com" Team aka. The New FZ09.org Team

·
Registered
225 Posts
WOW! You had the name, I can't believe that they can just take it. I thought url's were first come first served. That sucks!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks NickJ.

A pain to make the switch but in the end it's still the same great site and people will find it. I can understand Yamaha wanting the URL but they should have thought of that long ago.

Yes, you'd think Yamaha would want to keep things more friendly with this forum. But we bought the 09 for what it is, and are on this forum for what it is. Not because of what we think of a particular large corporation or the name of the forum.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dang that really sucks! Well I'm not going anywhere regardless of the name change. Poor form on yamaha's part for sure, but pretty standard these days I guess. I'm a landrover nerd too and LandRover crushed many small businesses and websites by suing them or threatening it over the use of the the rover name. You would think that the dumba$$es at yamaha could have gotten the name first if they wanted it, instead of moving in on it a year later! LAME!!!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah Brian-2, but they might have some leverage because the company name was in the site name. And their legal department is a bit bigger...

·
Registered
699 Posts
As I mentioned in my post above, we have worked with major manufacturers to interject their presence onto the forums.

Here is Chevrolet in support of the Corvette Stingray: ChevroletCustomerCare with 618 posts and who knows how many PM's.

ChevroletCustomerCare

And I just had a phone conversation with FoMoCo today at noon CST to organize their March 7th launch on another of our sites:

FordService

Unfortunately, in Yamaha's short-sighted view of things, they would rather view the forum as a nuisance, and something to conquer, than work with us to get the first hand response of owners and potential owners.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts