Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ever since I bought my FZ09 I wanted to build a single sided swing arm w/ a 240mm rear tire. I know some will say you are ruining the bike but everyone is entitled to there own opinion. So I bought what I needed and here you go. I have the rear end done and I'm in the process of getting the front wheel to work now. Stay tuned for pics. I can also build these for you but it's not cheap. Message me if you want more info. fz4.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I like it- good job! So different, unique and am sure, a lot of effort!
Just a question- it seems like the tire is sticking out to the right a little bit. Am I seeing things? Is that normal on single-sided swingarms? How does it affect handling?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
having an offset rear tyre isn't caused by the single sider, its caused by the (much wider than original) 240 section tyre. I love people doing things just because they can.

is the front wheel going to match? mismatching wheels is my pet hate on single side conversions.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the bike handles with the 240 tire on the back. Just curious why you didn't go with a Ducati Monster 796 rear tire, that is the same size as the 09's, a 180/55 ZR17. Going to much larger on the rear tire may cause more problems than it's worth.

Just don't go to big, or you'll have an 09 that looks more like this.
0811_sbkp_26_z 2005_custom_suzuki_hayabusa left_view1.jpg

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Nice, are you planning on complementing all that custom work with nicer shock?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pics show the cut apart rearset with the peg/shifter just hanging as the offset drive chain interferes with it, the shift linkage, the whole assembly, actually. What is your workaround, any pics of the finished item?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not really my style but I admire your craftsmanship.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was under the impression, that the extremely wide tire fad, had played out.
It is mostly done for looks, and not performance improvement.

How much offset, are you running on the countershaft sprocket?
Will you need an outboard bearing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The front sprocket is custom machined and no to the bearing. It's a custom bike.......
Bikes been on the street for 2 days now and i'll still drag the pegs around corners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts