Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can speed on the freeway in 2 through 6th gear but to get a feel for proper engine use where lugging is avoided I would like some feedback what gear you normally ride in town at the most common posted speeds. I go by engine feel rather than tachometer. Flat ground, solo.
say at 25-30 mph 35-40 mph 45-50 mph 55-60 (note that I figure 5 over in most speed zones will not get you a ticket)

What I have been using 25-30= 2nd 35-40-3rd 45-50=4th 55-60=5th

Think this mostly keeps the revs between 4 and 5k. is that too low? My Dad always said that if engine accelerates easily, it is not being lugged.

In your experience on the FZ-09 what is your easy going rpm range for around town riding?

thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Between 4 and 5k is pretty much where I run mine too, though if the traffic in town is actually moving well I use 3rd gear so the revs are just below 4k. For a 847cc motor, those revs aren't too low IMHO.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Between 4 and 5k is pretty much where I run mine too, though if the traffic in town is actually moving well I use 3rd gear so the revs are just below 4k. For a 847cc motor, those revs aren't too low IMHO.
I agree.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I like to keep the RPMs in the 6-7K range. At that RPM range you have instant access to available acceleration if it's needed to get you out m of a bad situation. It also is at such a level that you have a lot of available engine braking....again, to get you out of a bad situation if it happens in front of you.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The 09 has more torque at 2K tyen my FZ6R at peak, so for me I can be anywhere in the powerband and be comfy in traffic. I do like to keep the RPM up a bit in heavy traffic to get out of trouble if needed but mostly to make myself heard. Cagers get usually impatient and cut people off without even looking very easily... I rather make them feel my presence!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
In the lower gears I'm usually between 3-4k rpm. It pulls hard enough in the lower gears I don't feel the need to rev it and keeping the rpm up just burns more fuel.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I find myself at around 3K most of the time round town. It pulls easy from there.

The tach is so hard to read though (thin) and it flickers so much, I'm not really paying it much attention.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just enjoy your new bike. chill out. meditate before, during and after your rides.
quit thinking and ride:nike:

Reactions: YATTATTAK

·
Registered
29 Posts
I normally keep my eyes on traffic (heads up), then my heart ajusts the revs, gear and speep according to traffic, road and weather conditions! I do like to check fuel level here and there, and my display is always on engine temperature.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on my last ride it was pretty cold and I found the outside temp readout was fun as I rode in 43 to 73 degree spots along the route. I too usually have the engine temp readout but when stuck in traffic it makes me more nervous when I know it is over 212. I cant hear the fan most of the time but I know it comes on. wish the gage had an indicator for that.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in so far. As I get to know the bike I can sense about when it is running around 5k (a little more vibes in the bars maybe) a certain sound from the pipe. One note, and don't laugh, I kind of remember my Yamaha two stroke sound, when lightly accelerating and for some reason this Fz-09 reminds me of that sound. Maybe my age is playing tricks or my reduced hearing is.

After the comments I think my 4-5k is fine for town in the first 3 or 4 gears.

·
Registered
275 Posts
on my last ride it was pretty cold and I found the outside temp readout was fun as I rode in 43 to 73 degree spots along the route. I too usually have the engine temp readout but when stuck in traffic it makes me more nervous when I know it is over 212. I cant hear the fan most of the time but I know it comes on. wish the gage had an indicator for that.
We do have an overheat light though, in case you don't have the engine temp displayed all the time. Coolant temp can probably get up to 240-250 degrees before it boils over or hurts the engine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We do have an overheat light though, in case you don't have the engine temp displayed all the time. Coolant temp can probably get up to 240-250 degrees before it boils over or hurts the engine.
Guess I over looked that Coreytrevor. Thanks. It was nice of Yamaha to leave off the temperature at which the light comes on at in the owners manual. Guess I will know once I spend the 90.00 for a service manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts