Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the headers looking shiny and clean on these bikes? Im a bit particular about keeping my vehicles clean and I HATE trying to keep the header on the FZ looking good. after only 2000 miles and a few track days it has some chip marks and scratches. I was thinking about having it ceramic coated black but then I worry about the black chipping off as rocks and debris hit it. This is my first street bike so is this just something everyone else ignores? Im used to looking at sparking clean Kooks stainless steel headers on my Camaro! :cool:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ceramic coating is thin (compared to powder coating) and will definitely chip.

Perhaps install a fenda extenda to the front fender to keep debris from hitting the headers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i just hit it my headers with steel wool once a month. powder coat is your best bet btw.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mothers(or equivalent) chrome polish and soft terry towel once a week or so keeps mine looking good without scratching. Probably not much you can do if they're getting chipped or dented from small debris as they are pretty exposed and all the crap coming off the front tire hits there first...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a Mother's Power Cone and some chrome polish. I've used this method on my FMF header on my dual sport bike, and it brings it right back to life.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will powder coating handle the temps coming off the engine right there? Im guessing that the area could easily reach 1000 degrees F, I thought powder coat was only good for like 300 or so??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fenda extenda looks like it would help alot, these track days are just really putting a beating on the front of the bike

·
Registered
11 Posts
For cleaning I like to use an "all wheel" cleaner. Cleans things right up with minimal (if any) scrubbing required. Does nothing for protecting against rock chips though...Short of a bash plate (look at V-Stroms and Tigers), I don't reckon there's much you can do about that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You know, I used to worry about the headers but then I realized this bike is my workhorse. Ever see a clean workhorse on the farm? It would take hours during the rainy season here in Hawaii, I would rather ride in the rain.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If its not a show bike, I wouldn't bother with it honestly...just blast it with a hose...but that's just me

·
Registered
520 Posts
They sell this "bug and tar remover" at target, lowes, home depot... Comed in a green bottle, works great, i use it on wheels too.... Honestly though, the best cleaning agent i have ever used on anything was this little citrus spray, comes in a tiny bottle at lowes, it's air freshener but it cleans ridiculously well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2k miles here and no chips. I just use the Honda Wash spray cleaner that comes in a spray can. Yamaha might sell some too. It's good for everything on the bike IMO. It works great on plastic and fairings as it has some polish/wax in it, so bugs don't stick near as well. I spray some on my header every few days and it still looks like it did when I bought it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts