Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have issues while downshifting into first gear and the engine shutting off?
It's happened twice so far

·
Registered
520 Posts
Theres a huge thread on this with a honda cbr... Sounds like a fuel injection issue, could be a number of things though... Kick stand sensor, the rpm's it runs on at idle... Take it back to dealer and describe the events to them, maybe their corporate office has filed a memo log on a previous rider having same issue.

If i was to guess i would say it was fuel injection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey

The first day I bought this bike, I've had the same problem. I actualy though I blew the engine but you know what? The kick stand was still on. There's a sensor on this bike that doesn't allow you to start the bike without putting the kick stand out of the way

YOUR WELCOME

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My kickstand was up, this happened after riding for like 20 minutes, unless somehow the kickstand came down all by itself but I was on a smooth road

·
Registered
962 Posts
Check the sensor connection on the clutch lever and the sensor connection on the kickstand first. Is the kickstand maybe loose? Does it only do it when downshifting aggressively? Can you make it do it in another gear? Does it only do it when you are below a certain level in the gas tank? If you restart it and just let it idle - is it idling smoothly?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did change out the levers so the connection there might be loose. I'll check that. It's only happened twice and I didn't downshift aggressively at all, full tank of gas also. It idles nice and smooth.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check everything later today

·
Registered
150 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the same problem for the first several hundred miles but it has gone away on my bike (currently at 850mi). Give it a few hundred more... I started riding my bike like I want to (harder, higher revs) after 600 mi and an oil change and it has not done it once for me. I think it was a break in fluke, personally.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Holy crap all this is happening to me too. Last sunday I was cruising in 6th at about 50mph and the bike shut off and right back on. Almost dropped the bike cause it almost initiated a tank slapper.

Mine likes to shut off at lights right as I try to go into first and also downshifting to second.

Hopefully we can figure this out quickly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Plus 1 on the sensor connection to the clutch. Mine did the same thing for a while until I went to lube my clutch and realized it was unplugged.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't see how the clutch lever connection could make it shut off. I know it would keep it from maybe restarting, but not shutting it off? Am I thinking correctly on this............Bobby Walnuts........are you out there????

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't see how the clutch lever connection could make it shut off. I know it would keep it from maybe restarting, but not shutting it off? Am I thinking correctly on this............Bobby Walnuts........are you out there????
I'm betting the starter and ignition circuits are linked via the ecu... ?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Confirmed that the clutch lever switch is indeed linked to the ECU a bit deeper than I thought: The ECO indicator goes out when you pull in the clutch lever. BUT I don't see how it could cause the engine to shut down, it would need the right signal from the kickstand switch to do that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
4200 miles so far, can't say I've had this happen. Sounds like a warranty issue, probably electrical. If you have a rear shock replacement that require under-tray trimming, may be a good idea to check those wires.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No issues with mine. I have 1800 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This issue sucks guys. But I found my clutch sensor was also unplugged and had to push it in and heard a click.

I know most of you think it does not affect the bike shutting off but I was thinking. Maybe the clutch switch is the 10 minute shut off reset. So if that sensor isn't making a connection for 10 minutes or more, the bike shuts off thinking you aren't riding it and it's idling.

I don't know how that 10 minute shut off thing works though so it's just speculation at this point.

I've tried everything I could think of and even sent my ecu back out to be flashed.

We need to figure this shit out.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I don't think it is a 10 minute shutoff.

I had a similar issue on a carbed bike years ago after it had a rebuild. Blip the throttle when changing down gears solved the problem.
I don't have the problem on my MT, so I'm just throwing ideas out there. Although I always blip on down changes.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My shutoff experience, detailed in the linked thread above, stopped all together after my ECU flash.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have 300 miles on mine and this has been happening to me. Does it in A, std, as well as b mode. It isn't always down shifting either. One time I just pulled in my clutch and revved to grab a cars attention so I could split lanes at a light and POOF! Engine off!

Another time it happened in 5th when I was just pulling the clutch in to brake. I just popped the clutch out to do a bump start on the fly since switching into neutral to start the thing would be a fumble.

This seems dangerous as hell! What if that happened in a hairpin turn?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts