Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Shuts Off While Riding

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  bobby walnuts 
#1 ·
So I've got something peculiar happening to me... My bike shuts off by itself. Somehow, the kill switch pops into the off position. This has happened four times already and I have 500 miles on the bike. The last time it happened, I had it on film. My finger did not touch the kill switch. I was in a parking lot in first gear, gave it a short quick rev (enjoying my new exhaust) and it just popped into the off position. I have no idea how this is happening... I checked to see if my finger gets close to it when I switch modes, but it doesn't because I've got small hands. I'm so confused!

#2 ·
sounds like a a bad switch...take it in and have it fixed..:)

Reactions: FZ-674
#4 ·
Sounds like a Bad Switch....call the closest dealer Monday :)

Reactions: edgyver
#6 ·
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part Rim
My bike as received "in the crate." As you can see, the Stealership doesn't assemble much, but is quick to ask for $200-400 for an Assembly Fee. Some issues with the bike stem from sloppy work on the assembly line; Would you pay much attention to detail if you were being paid $7/day & a few bowls of white rice...???

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part Rim

#9 ·
View attachment 9695 My bike as received "in the crate." As you can see, the Stealership doesn't assemble much, but is quick to ask for $200-400 for an Assembly Fee. Some issues with the bike stem from sloppy work on the assembly line; Would you pay much attention to detail if you were being paid $7/day & a few bowls of white rice...???

View attachment 9695
That's pretty interesting. I'm not sure how mine came, but I didn't pay an assembly fee. Told the salesman I knew that was a load of shit and there's no way I'm riding out on an FZ if I was being charged that fee. Same for the delivery fee.

#10 ·
My bike came with the left fork tube 3mm higher than the right... Crankcase overfilled, right side caliper mounting bolt loose, right fork upper pinch bolt loose, right side engine mount bolt loose. Clutch slack adjuster at handle bar more than 2/3 wound out.
PDI - sucked!! Apparently a mechanic built the bike...

#11 ·
No rice for him...:mad:

#13 ·
Mine has done the same thing but its not the kill switch, ive noticed the spring for the kick stand is very soft, so if I hit a bump ir kick it accidently it will kill the engine, ive remidied this by istalling a stiffer spring, I used one I had from my gs550 build, I hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.