Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New to the forums but not new to forums. ;)

So here is my dilemma...

Currently, I have a 2013 R6 with a Two Brothers exhaust + cat-delete and a Powercommander V. This thing is quick! Keeps up with my buddies 2013 GSXr750! I bought it brand new in 2013 and already have 11k miles on it. That's a lot considering it was my 3rd bike in 1 year! No I didn't crash... just kept upgrading.

Well I've been looking at FZ-09s for a while now and I'm almost convinced on getting one... but I'm afraid I won't enjoy it because well... it's obviously no R6! But at the same time I would enjoy a more convenient and comfortable ride. The R6 is far too aggressive. Plus me being 155lb and 5'7" the R6 is pretty tall. I live in Ann Arbor, MI so much of my daily adventures are within city limits.

Now I am pretty experienced and I know how to handle a bike. I learned how to do those stupid 100mph stand up wheelies, how to corner with the front wheel up, and just other unsafe stuff. But I just want something more tamed and comfortable as I said. That's why I think the FZ-09 is a good choice! Plus it would look great next to my girlfriend's 2013 CBR500R! :p

But anyway, what do you guys think... should I do it? I'm leaning more towards yes.

Oh and the FZ-09 wouldn't stay stock for long. ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My R6 starts pulling hard at 6k rpm with the current tune. I'm not looking for safey. I can handle power. But thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I miss my R6... You won't be pulling 100mph wheelies on this thing... Well I guess you could I had it at 90+ with the front wheel off the ground... Pre accident, I wouldn't trade in my R6... Now that I've broken my back this bike was a great choice. Keeps up with 1000s as long as it's not on the highway ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 09 is a great bike but compared to the R6 will handle like a wheelbarrow. You will have to spend time and money on the 09 suspension.

I have far more fun and enjoyable riding on the 09 than I did on any sports bike... I traded in a CBR600RR for the 09.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. My main issue is comfort. Like I said, I'm one short mofo and a lowered R6 is a stupid R6 IMO. Defeats the whole purpose of the bike lol. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The seat height is a lot lower on the fz-09 than a super sport. The ergonomics are much easier on your back, knees, and wrists. But the saddle is very uncomfortable in stock form . It pushes your coconuts into the tank and makes your ass numb. But that is an easy fix. The fz-09 has a masterful engine. I mean really, it is a work of art. But for me, I was looking at spending 2k on suspension components to get the bike where I wanted, and i just couldn't justify that. So I am back on a super sport.

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
I have tuned and riden many r6's and currently own an R1 and the fz09.

I would 100% own an fz09 over an r6 for the riding you are describing. The motor is worlds better then the r6 motor on the street and once you get the suspension sorted the fz09 is a very capable machine. Honestly the fz09 is more fun then my r1 and speeds below proceed directly to jail do not pass go do not collect $200.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'd keep the R6 but get a Corbin seat, raise the bars an inch, a G2 Throttle tamer, and add some MFW Vario pegs... It'll make the R6 more comfortable, and it will still out handle the FZ-09. Now if you want to carry a passenger, then get the 09 and redo the suspension...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I had absolutely no problem keeping up to some R6s on my last track day. Even pass some. Don't look at the FZ09 as a down grade... if you spend the $$$ at the right place it is a very capable machine.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd keep the R6 but get a Corbin seat, raise the bars an inch, a G2 Throttle tamer, and add some MFW Vario pegs... It'll make the R6 more comfortable, and it will still out handle the FZ-09. Now if you want to carry a passenger, then get the 09 and redo the suspension...
Agreed 100%. But the reality is most of us are ready for something New after awhile. :)

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got an '09 R6 and the FZ.
Supersports belong on the track if you ask me. They're not comfortable for extended street riding, and the only way to enjoy 'em is to break the law. My R6 is a dedicated track machine.

The FZ is great on the street. The seat, as mentioned, could use some work, as could the suspension. The engine really is that good though. Different character than the high revving R6; torque is the name of the game when you get on the FZ. Torque is more useful on the street than the horsepower that comes with high revving inline 4's.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I had a ninja 1000 before the fz09. I really don't miss it much. It was great at high speeds and the wind protection was nice.

I am having a lot more fun on the FZ than I ever did on the ninja.

There are some must upgrades on the FZ. Stock seat is awful. I went with a Seth Laam seat and never think about my butt any more.

Ya gotta fix the suspension too. I did a Kawi zx6rr shock and ak-20 fork cartridges for a total of around $1500. The seat was $299.

IMO these 2 upgrades are a must.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks so much guys! I didn't expect so many great responses. But yes my R6 is only fun if I'm not following laws... which I don't want to risk doing any more. I'm most likely going to go for the FZ09. Thanks again guys, your input means a lot!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The seat height is a lot lower on the fz-09 than a super sport. The ergonomics are much easier on your back, knees, and wrists. But the saddle is very uncomfortable in stock form . It pushes your coconuts into the tank and makes your ass numb. But that is an easy fix. The fz-09 has a masterful engine. I mean really, it is a work of art. But for me, I was looking at spending 2k on suspension components to get the bike where I wanted, and i just couldn't justify that. So I am back on a super sport.
Same here! Loved the 09, but in the end, back on a SS - 2014 GSX-R750.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same here! Loved the 09, but in the end, back on a SS - 2014 GSX-R750.
That's the other bike I considered when I was buying the FZ09.

I also would consider trading in the R6 because of the height issues.

I love my FZ, but the suspension and lack of any wind protection on the freeway is horrible. I'm 5'6" tall at 170 lbs. I have tried 2 windscreens to help, and they do, just not as much as laying down on your supersport does.

I bought a Corbin Seat for my bike but the seat is wider than the stock one so i gave up another half inch of ground clearance to use it (honestly, it will be in the For Sale section soon as the bike is already tall for me).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've come to realize that in a perfect world one owns an FZ09 & a GSXR 750 -- Different Rides for different Rides. :cool:

Reactions: cza888 and Obijack

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's the other bike I considered when I was buying the FZ09.

I also would consider trading in the R6 because of the height issues.

I love my FZ, but the suspension and lack of any wind protection on the freeway is horrible. I'm 5'6" tall at 170 lbs. I have tried 2 windscreens to help, and they do, just not as much as laying down on your supersport does.

I bought a Corbin Seat for my bike but the seat is wider than the stock one so i gave up another half inch of ground clearance to use it (honestly, it will be in the For Sale section soon as the bike is already tall for me).

Just my 2 cents.
Hey we're the same height!! Lol
I here you about the height issue, but I've been riding SS so long I'm used to one-footing it :)
The suspension on the 09 became a huge issue for me, I just didn't want to put $3000 into it. The money I would've spent on the suspension went into the new bike. It all came down to wanting SS performance from a bike - asking the 09 to do that wasn't reasonable. No regrets getting the 09, really enjoyed the bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts