Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going riding today with a friend who has an NC700X. Should I let him ride the FZ 09 ? It might give him buyer's remorse real bad. I remember considering the Honda but the performance numbers were woeful enough the disregard the fuel mileage. I'm glad I waited long enough to see other new bikes come out. It might be like me getting to ride a Super Duke 1290. That was my other choice if I could have afforded it. So do I let him ride it ? He won't ask I will have to offer it. And yes he is a very experienced rider.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am going riding today with a friend who has an NC700X. Should I let him ride the FZ 09 ? It might give him buyer's remorse real bad. I remember considering the Honda but the performance numbers were woeful enough the disregard the fuel mileage. I'm glad I waited long enough to see other new bikes come out. It might be like me getting to ride a Super Duke 1290. That was my other choice if I could have afforded it. So do I let him ride it ? He won't ask I will have to offer it. And yes he is a very experienced rider.
If he won't ask and you have a gut feeling that he'll have buyer's remorse, I would just not bring it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let him ride it! I never understood why people get so crazy about other people sitting on or riding their bike (stranger excluded). 25 years ago a guy I worked with gave me the keys to his Honda...one rip around the parking lot and I was hooked...that night I was at the dealer buying a bike! I never get too attached...life is short, ride as many different bikes as possible!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Don't Let Him Ride it & Don't Bring it up.......See post # 2 here too.:cool:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
As with most things.... it depends.

If he is in a position financially that he could easily ditch (ie sell) his bike and go buy a FZ-09, then why not?

....otherwise, I wouldn't bring it up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would do it just to be a dick....

I like to swap with friends all the time. They like to be comfy for a few miles, and I like to go above 12k rpms. So its usually a win win.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I would do it just to be a dick....

I like to swap with friends all the time. They like to be comfy for a few miles, and I like to go above 12k rpms. So its usually a win win.
Everyone likes to be a dick once in awhile....But there's being a dick, and there's being a Dick...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Of course you should let him try it. That little Honda is not a bad bike. Yes, turtles pass you, and flip you off, but still... Dont be surprised if you end up liking it, too. You'll like the wind protection and the relaxed feel of the bike. Its nto an fz09 or 07....Heck, it runs more like an fz1.5 (if they made one) but it had a very nice feel. Plenty of power, and just a relaxed, fun nature about it. Kind of diesel like, maybe. I ride a Ninja 1000 and would love to have one. The tank storage thing is awesome.

Its what motorcycles were about before we got crazy about performance numbers. Think about it for a minute. A fz09 is far faster thna the original kz900, gs 1000, cb900f, and bikes that were meant for highly experienced, expert level riders ONLY! You could have entered a STOCK fz09 in a 1980 era professional superbike race and been competitive...

·
Registered
885 Posts
That little Honda is not a bad bike. Yes, turtles pass you, and flip you off, but still... Dont be surprised if you end up liking it, too.
Hilarious, but mostly correct (except maybe the "flip off" part; can they really do that? :confused: ). The Honda is a superb motorcycle in commuter mode, and I would probably like it just fine seven or eight out of every ten miles I ride. But the other two or three? Staying with my FZ-09!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I bought my first new bike in 1975 and my older brother kept bugging me to let him ride it. I gave in for a short ride where I could see him the whole time. He dumped it and never helped fix it. I had a friend borrow a bike for a group ride and he wheelied it into me (and my passenger) on another bike. See the trend? Only offer to trade if you can trust the person to replace it if they break it, or if you can afford to let it slide. I'll let anyone ride the XR80 I bought for my daughter and she lets them because I've told her I'll cover for them. I'll let people that I've seen ride safely swap with my CRF250L or borrow it for a spin. I won't loan out my FZ.

Don't worry about creating buyers remorse - the NC700X is a good bike - and for most of my needs it would probably be a better bike for me (carrying my 7 year old daughter, carrying my girlfriend, weekend trips, shopping trips, trips to the office...). But to go out and play in a way that turns my world on edge it wouldn't compete. I went riding yesterday and recognized the VStrom that was following me as one that I had sold 3 years ago. Great bike, comfortable, carries passengers well, excellent headlights, dependable, long range... It too would be a better bike for me now to carry passengers and such, but like the NC700X it wouldn't bring out the kid in me that likes to play on tight twisty roads. After 3 hours of brisk cruising with them my ass was killing me and the VStrom seat was calling me - so I spent the next hour strafing the curves on Lime Creek Road like a teenager playing a video game. When I headed home my ass was still killing me - but I wasn't missing the VStrom... :)

Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Adventure

·
Registered
98 Posts
Depending on how stubborn the guy is, he may just start picking out things that he doesn't like about the fz and disregard the advantages of it. Then go on to talk about how good his bike is. This kinda thing irks me a bit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Id agree with JustWantToRide. Personally, and not caring if the rider is experienced or not, I wouldnt let anyone ride my bike unless they had the funds to repair/replace it if anything happened. If you trust the guy and he has the funds then why not let him take it for a spin?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Depending on how stubborn the guy is, he may just start picking out things that he doesn't like about the fz and disregard the advantages of it. Then go on to talk about how good his bike is. This kinda thing irks me a bit.
TIL stubborn means having an opinion on something.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He didn't ask and I didn't offer. I forgot to mention he also has a Concourse 14 so it's not like he's clueless about powerful bikes. But he's commuting quite a ways and said the little Honda is getting 89 mpg. Remember we get better mileage because we are at altitude. Although my FZ is getting 46 mpg and I've heard many people on this forum say they do better.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
You played it perfectly.

Remember, he may know about power, but until he rides the FZ-09, he doesn't know how Powerful it Really is. :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not everyone is after raw power. Your friend might be better off with his Honda. If he asks for a ride and you are comfortable having him ride your bike, do it. If not, just don't bring it up or politely decline.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not everyone is after raw power. Your friend might be better off with his Honda. If he asks for a ride and you are comfortable having him ride your bike, do it. If not, just don't bring it up or politely decline.

Edit: Just noticed your last post. You handled it nicely. 89 miles per gallon, automatic transmission, and integrated storage compartment are all signifcant pluses for a regular commuter. I hate commuting on the bike during rush hours traffic. It takes the joy out of motorcycling.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

Edit: Just noticed your last post. You handled it nicely. 89 miles per gallon, automatic transmission, and integrated storage compartment are all signifcant pluses for a regular commuter. I hate commuting on the bike during rush hours traffic. It takes the joy out of motorcycling.
....And ups the Risk Factors exponentially.

"Let's be careful out there -- Do it to them before they do it to us." :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
That honda's awesome, though, in the way it might make a scooter buyer go for a full blown motorcycle, which it is, but its non threatening...Once that fear is gone, then THEY start looking at fz09's, fz07, and other performance machines.

We lack entry level bikes that dont scare people. Honda's trail 90, from the 60-70's..that bike created motorcycle riders out of peopel who hated motorcycles.

I watched this as a kid. My dad and grandfather bought trail 90's. I could quote the conversation, but I remember them sayign the 90's had no power. They both went to the Kawasaki dealer and traded them in. Within two years my dad had a kz 900 and a kx250 . My grandpa had a kz 650 and a Bighorn 350. Neither were interested in becoming motorcycle riders, it just happened. We have to start doign that again. Bikes like the Grom and NC700 can help. But, that nc is a awesome slow speed bike..call it under 65 mph. It so easy to deal with. In its arena, its a better bike than my Ninja 1000 or fz 09...notice I said, "In its arena"...you know what I mean.

A trip to the grocery store, for instance. As long as no turtles are around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts