Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I picked up my own beautifully mint 2014 FZ 09. As any obsessed motorcyclist does, I have made it my baby. Unfortunately nothing is meant to last. I made the foolish decision of moving my bike in front of the side garage door so that I could maneuver my old bike out and deliver it to it's new owner. My wife, being the responsible dog owner she is decided to take our dogs out and accidentally opened the garage door into my bike. The poor girl was even kind enough to tell me about it.

There's no paint damage but there is an ever so slight whisper of a micro crease or dent on the edge of the gas tank. I would be hesitant to even say it is a half centimeter long, half the width of my pinky fingernail and as shallow as a "crease" could possibly be just so that it is just detectable by running my finger across it. There aren't any pictures because it's awfully difficult to photograph against that deep Liquid Graphite paint and the lines of the tank.
I am still paying on the bike and I have full coverage but I have such limited experience with having repairs done. The "dent" is so small I actually have trouble finding it, and to be honest, There's just no way I would have even known it was there if my wife wasn't such a good honest woman.

I suppose the body shop could remove whatever you would call this damage with the glue pulling method or something but how much should something like that cost? Would it make sense to fix it? Am I just being dramatic because the bike is new to me?

·
Registered
390 Posts
If that was me I'd probably go as far as to buy a new painted tank from Yamaha and sell the old one. I am really fussy though and my MT is the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new so I'd just have to make it right again.

All down to personal preference I guess.

Sent from my iPhone 

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a very similar dent. Discovered it when returning to the parking lot I left my bike in while having lunch. I doubt anyone else will notice it, but I know its there. :-( I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Leave it.
Fixing a tiny imperfection will just challenge the ding gnomes to do a better job next time.

I scratched the tank of my Super Tenere about 2 weeks after I bought it. The zipper pull on my jeans got it in about a 3 inch scratch.
+1 Mag Knight tank protector to cover (bought too late!) and I'm good. Four years and 23k miles later, the tank looks like new! LOL

·
Registered
555 Posts
Take it to a car spa and see if they can glue stick the dent out or put a medallion or sticker on it... or just pretend it is not there.
I know I can't do the later but I really try...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a small dent in the tank of my FZ1. Took it to a 'Dent Genie' I had dealt with before. The guy is an absolute magician. He inserted a tool inside the tank and as I watched, he made that dent totally and completely disappear. He isn't cheap at about $70, but who wants a damaged tank. Ask around for a recommendation for a good dent guy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to know I'm not the only slightly psychotic guy here. I managed to get a picture of it using the reflection of the yellow parking lines on the ground. I'll upload when I'm near a computer so we can all compare and contrast our varying degrees of particularity

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like a few scars on my naked bike. I have a micro ding on the top of my tank near the fill cap that I didn't notice until after I bought it (2015 with 1.2k miles). Very possible I (or my son) tapped the tank with something. Very hard to find also but it's there. I don't care.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Those dent remover guys (who tap tools inside the metal) are amazing. Shouldn't be hard to do with the gas cap out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guy inserted a tool inside a full tank of gas and from the inside rolled, not tapped, the ding away. He's got dozens, if not hundreds of tools; it took just a couple of tries to find the right one. I call him a magician because as I stand there watching (which he encourages), the dent literally goes away without as much as a smudge on the paint. He's repaired some dings on my cars using the hotglue, discs and pulling and has also tapped some away. I imagine the bump shop guys hate him.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Junk it and buy a new one, its the only logical choice

·
Registered
699 Posts
You will want to look up PDR or Paintless Dent Repair guys in your area. Most car lots have a guy they use. If you are in an area that sees a lot of hail damage, they will be very easy to find.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Fix it! All FZ-09's must be perfect... Just knowing its there would drive me crazy, Dent Dr. sounds like great advice

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here is a pic of the micro ding on my tank. I swear it is between the yamaha symbol and the fill lid and towards the front. Took some close ups and still couldn't see it. I am able to see it if I look at the right angle. I love the matte finish... helps with these kinds of issues...

DSC04149.jpg

I'm more concerned about the dings in my radiator (not really)...

DSC04148.jpg

I love my nasty, naked FZ.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I bought mine with a ding in the tank and a barely noticeable scuff on a mirror, they saved me about $500 and I didn't have to worry about the trauma of the first ding happening.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I bought a used Honda several years ago with a nice, shallow round dent in the top of the tank. "What happened?"
A walnut fell out of a tree and ga-bing!
LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMG_1691.jpg
Unfortunately, I have already tipped it over. I had stalled on my steep driveway because I had not adjusted the clutch for my preference yet, started rolling back, caught myself went down in a slow motion motorcycle version of the elevator game-
FORTUNATELY it was literally 12 hours after I got my frame sliders so, while there were scratches on the bar ends, brake lever, and right peg, it was all easily replaceable stuff. No frame or tank damage. Being as particular as I am I replaced all that stuff right away.

As you can see in the picture the ding just barely registers. It's literally just that small little sliver where you see the yellow line break. 4 or 5 mm in length. The picture kind of creates the illusion that there is more of an indent below that but there isn't. It's not big but it just STARES ME IN THE FACE whenever I approach the bike from the left on a sunny day. Not sure that anyone who isn't me would spot it if they didn't know it was there.

I visited every PDR guy in town and they all told me that because of the location on the tank they would not be able to glue pull it and would have to modify the filler neck to fit tools inside. I even had a few guys tell me they would have to repaint it after repair. Estimates range from $400-$500. Either I look stupid, my small size makes me appear easily taken advantage of, or Lacrosse county is the most expensive place to repair dents on the planet, right? If it really bothered me so much and I can't find an honest to goodness PDR guy I'd order a new tank for the same price and put it on myself, maybe even in a different color just for kicks, before I'd give money to these guys. Makes you wonder what hail damage costs a person in this town.

For what it's worth it's not important and I can still take pride in owning a kickass bike. It still makes my buddies' jaws drop in the straights and I still get a stupid grin every time I ride it. Makes me glad I spent $6500 and not $10000 for all my fussiness.

EDIT* I don't know why the pic is sideways. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts