Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed shorty levers? And if so, did u have any issues with clutch engagement? Sorry if this has been posted. I didn't see it with a search.

·
Banned
739 Posts
I have. Installed the MadHornets levers. Brake & clutch

Just a wild guess but, I bet the problem you're having with the clutch side - There is a bushing that may have come out with the stock lever. That needs to go back in. Otherwise your lever play is real sloppy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the bushing, found out the hard way on my gsxr. LOL. Could one of u video your bike going in to gear running? I can't remember what it sounded like before.

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
No issues with shorty pazzos

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I used the bushing, found out the hard way on my gsxr. LOL. Could one of u video your bike going in to gear running? I can't remember what it sounded like before.
I can take a video tomorrow when I ride to work but it's not going to sound too much different than all the youtube videos out there...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can take a video tomorrow when I ride to work but it's not going to sound too much different than all the youtube videos out there...
I could care less how the engine sounds, I want to hear how it sounds as u put it in gear. Listening for the clunk. My GSXR is much smoother, but the bike is so loud, i have no idea.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well this bike has a loud clunk going into first. I'll record tomorrow

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yamahas typically have clunky transmissions. Especially when going slow or at a stop. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got the ZX6R I had was how much smoother the transmission was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
please do, i would like to think i didn't trash my transmission. Pretty sure I'm just being paranoid.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the cheap ebay cnc shorty levers too, and they are great. :) I've had them on my Aprilia Dorsoduro for 2 years now and I love them. I have seen some expensive levers and I like mine as much or better, and mine only cost $22 shipped. I read that some of the colored ones fade over time, but I got the silver and they still look great!

·
Registered
276 Posts
It sounds like you might not be pulling the clutch cable in enough to fully release the clutch. Try adjusting your cable or switching the lever adjusters to a setting that gives you more lever travel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cant even hear it on vid. Probably can't hear yours either. Much louder in person.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Unable to hear it but mine clunks into first (always has) and my sv650 did the same. If you're having trouble finding neutral you should adjust your tension and also ensure your clutch free play is setup correctly.

If you're still experiencing issues - an oil change may be in order if it's been awhile.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It sounds like you might not be pulling the clutch cable in enough to fully release the clutch. Try adjusting your cable or switching the lever adjusters to a setting that gives you more lever travel.
I've adjusted it at the motor as well as the lever...it's just always the way it's been. Finds neutral fine...shifts normal. Friction zone is where it should be...

Cant even hear it on vid. Probably can't hear yours either. Much louder in person.
Change of plan, didn't ride in today.

Unable to hear it but mine clunks into first (always has) and my sv650 did the same. If you're having trouble finding neutral you should adjust your tension and also ensure your clutch free play is setup correctly.

If you're still experiencing issues - an oil change may be in order if it's been awhile.
My SV650 clunks into first gear but the Yammi Clunks more...it's done that since day 1.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe put the stock lever back on and see if it does it with that one too? If it does then you know it is not the shorty levers.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't find the 09 is that bad when putting into first gear, but I'll have to video my DR650SE clunking into first gear, that's nasty, but normal, lol

And Mad Hornet short levers and they work great, plus a great price, they just took a while to show up from China.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts