Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to buy american as much as possible but for 23 bucks shipped my cheap side got the best of me and I decided to take a shot in the dark on these.

2014 Yamaha MT 09 SR FZ 09 CNC Short Adjustable Racing Brake Clutch Lever Set | eBay

Wow, am I pleasantly surprised by the Chinese machining. The tool marks look great with no severe chatter or galling. The dimensions on the thru holes were +- .003 all around. They even used blue lock tight on the fasteners! :icon_thumright: Installation was a breeze. The bushing on the clutch side fell right out of the Yamaha oem lever and slipped perfectly into the Chinese shorty, no press required.

image1.jpg
image2.JPG
image3.jpg
image4.jpg

On the other hand, Mrs. Puss isn't too thrilled with the FZ :cool:

image6.jpg

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 Those look exactly like the Mad Hornet levers I picked up last fall. They work great and are fit great.

I know they are not $200+ levers, but that also mean my $39 levers include $161 for fuel. :p

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

Well I spoke too soon. Did a couple laps around the building and everything seemed fine so I hit the road. A mile or so down the road my front brake locked up. Luckily there was an auto zone to my right so I pulled in their lot. The free play had gone on the brake lever and it was obvious the female side of the chinese lever was too shallow to allow room when the brakes heat up and expand. Used auto zone tools to remove the lever to get the bike back to my shop using the rear brake only. For the price of these levers Im still happy with them. Just make sure to check the female end. The chinese pocket was .120 thousandths shallow.

image1 (1).jpg

image2 (1).jpg

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mine used to look just like those, and I've been happy with them (14k mi). But alas, they have faded quite a bit from being outside at work (poor little neglected commuter).

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't had any problems with either of my 2 sets on the Dorsoduro and the FZ-09. It was a little tricky to get them on the FZ, and I had to use vice grips to remove the bushing so I could replace it with the oem bushing. I only buy the silver levers from China as I have read the colored ones fade from the sun. No fading on my Dorsoduro silver levers after 2 years, not sure if the silver ones suffer from the fading or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a set off Ebay for ~$25. They fit great. No issues with heating up even with an all day trackday last sunday. They are a little shallow IMO. I run them on the last setting(farthest out).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought those and had the exact same brake issue with the eBay set but once I drilled it had no issue since. But mine about locked up in traffic.. that was not very fun. Had to take the lever off and ride home with no front brake.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It's a good thing you weren't on the freeway when it locked up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow. Please send an email to the seller letting them know your findings so they can correct the issue. If that happened on a busy freeway you might have not been so lucky.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would rather get quality then spend 20 bucks for a front wheel lock up. If saving 180 might kill me, Ill just spend it for the peace of mind.

Reactions: Dark and DTM74

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Question guys, is this purely cosmetic or there is an advantage to having short levers? Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Question guys, is this purely cosmetic or there is an advantage to having short levers? Thanks
With shorty levers, using 2 fingers for the controls allows you to keep 2 fingers wrapped around the grip, and doesn't pinch your fingers against the bar. (especially on the clutch side). I know the MSF courses say you should use 4 fingers on a lever, but I've grown accustomed to only 2.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I try to buy american as much as possible but for 23 bucks shipped my cheap side got the best of me and I decided to take a shot in the dark on these.

2014 Yamaha MT 09 SR FZ 09 CNC Short Adjustable Racing Brake Clutch Lever Set | eBay

Wow, am I pleasantly surprised by the Chinese machining. The tool marks look great with no severe chatter or galling. The dimensions on the thru holes were +- .003 all around. They even used blue lock tight on the fasteners! :icon_thumright: Installation was a breeze. The bushing on the clutch side fell right out of the Yamaha oem lever and slipped perfectly into the Chinese shorty, no press required.

View attachment 16288
View attachment 16289
View attachment 16290
View attachment 16291

On the other hand, Mrs. Puss isn't too thrilled with the FZ :cool:

View attachment 16292
I got the same levers, pretty decent.

·
Registered
432 Posts
+1 to the $23 levers off ebay.

When I ordered them the seller told me they were mad hornets. When it arrived, they were in a "Ride It" box yet looked IDENTICAL to the Mad Hornets. They work great and fit perfectly, my only issue is they are an odd length for my hands. I either need to squish my fingers to get 3 on the lever, or spread them out a bunch to leave 2 on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only issue I have found with the levers or anything else like this is the color fading over time. Not sure of they have improved on the anodizing. Curious to hear from those who have had the chinese levers over time and they have seen some sunlight.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Mine have not faded.

But my Triumph forks faded after 24 months. So much so, I had to reinstall the reflectors.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm buying the Mad Hornets. If they're good enough for Rocky, they're good me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The MSF BRC focuses on all 4 fingers for the novice rider, ARC we go into threshold braking, trail braking, etc. with two fingers on the brake to control the throttle/brake.
In reality most modern braking systems don't need more than 2 fingers pressure whereas 4 can be excessive and under stress contribute to locking the front brake.
Also if you have 2 fingers on the front brake while going through congested areas you can get to the brake that much more quickly.

I've run a shorty brake in the past with an OE length clutch lever.
I'm considering running the shorty on both - anyone have any issues with the shorty clutch side lever at any speed or was it a smooth no issues transition?

PS - I just pulled the trigger on a pair of shorty Mad Hornets last night, eta is 'whenever they get here'.
If they didn't get the front brake recess correct I'm going to be a very unhappy person but have heard no issues with them so far, hopefully they will be a great fit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts