Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night when I was riding home in a nice spirited ride, I noticed that the ABS warning light came on and stayed on.
When approaching the next traffic light, at a low speed, I slammed on the rear brake and indeed the wheel locked (the ABS wasn't working).

Seeing that I'm a computer guy, my next obvious step was to stop the bike at the side of the road and reboot the computer, i.e. turn the ignition off/on. Unsurprisingly the error went away and ABS functioned (tested again with a hard braking).

This is worrying. ABS is one of those components that should be bullet proof, and save you in case of a near crash. It should be 100% functional and bug free.

Although I'm still used to non-ABS bikes, so I don't rely on it too much, I'm sure that with time I'll get used to simply slamming on the brakes when performing an emergency stop (as you should with a reliable ABS system).

I spoke to my local dealer the next morning, and his reply was "if it happens again, let me know and we'll check it".

I hope it doesn't happen again, but all you ABS riders, I suggest to keep your eyes out for that warning light.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Bad fuse?
On my old versys6, you could disconnect the system by pulling the fuse. Has the fuse been jiggled loose?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I disagree with slamming on the brakes, ever, ABS or not. That makes riders lazy with their brake technique.

As to possible causes for the ABS fault, I can only suggest based on my experience with BMW ABS and it did things like that when the battery was dropping a cell and not maintaining enough voltage.

Were you idling when the ABS faulted? Do you have other electric accys on at the time it faulted?

Reactions: Thantos

·
Registered
616 Posts
On BMW's, the early ABS system was commonly referred to as the battery replace indicator. If the battery wasn't spot on, the ABS would flash. Shutting it off and turning it back on would only work after you'd ridden a while to charge the battery. The early units also added 43.7 lbs!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Since our North American 09's do not come with ABS, I am curious as to what ABS system is installed on the MT-09's and how affective they really are???

If it's like the new KTM Uncrashable ABS, that would be great, but if it's an older system, no thanks.

For example:

Reactions: MoFZio
1 - 8 of 8 Posts