Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I'm not posting this in the right area, so forgive me if that's the case. Anyway, my bike has about 2500 miles on it. Now that its cooling off, I'm not on my bike every other day. It has done it to me twice so far, but if my bike sits for about 5 days, the battery is useless. I don't have any add-ons, nothing of the sort, no ecu flashes, just a plain old stock setup. I went out yesterday to crank it, had probably been 4 or 5 days, and it turned over a few times, then *click click click... Something is either drawing against the battery somehow, or I just have a freaky bad battery. Just wanted to see if any of you other guys have had this issue.

Thanks

Also,it's not the cold hurting the battery, I'm in Louisiana, the coldest it's gotten here so far is mid 30's and that was just for 2 nights, plus she sleeps in a nice cozy workshop.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Is the bike still under warranty? Let the dealership take care of the issue if it is.....shouldn't cost you any money out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
probably a duff battery, but check your charging system anyway. voltage across the battery terminals should be at least 14v with the bike idling.

p.s. cold doesn't hurt batteries, in fact it reduces rate of self-discharge. heat kills batteries. but low temperatures makes cold starting the engine more difficult.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Earlier this year, I purchased the same battery type (manufacturer and model) for another motorcycle that came stock on the FZ-09. By late August, the purchased battery wouldn't hold enough of a charge to start the engine, although I could get it to work once after it was on the battery tender for a day.

A MotoBatt MBTZ10S is now in the FZ-09, and I moved my stock FZ-09 battery to the other motorcycle. The only good part of the story is the starting problem began when the motorcycle was in my garage, not someplace where the problem would have been a much larger hassle.

The first battery on the other motorcycle lasted five years, so I decided purchasing the same model was a good move. Just didn't work out that way, but with the transplanted FZ-09 stock battery, it's as reliable as ever.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
First, if it is still under warranty, ride it to the dealer and let them fix it.

If you want to confirm what is going on, get a multimeter and measure:
the current draw on the battery with the key off (should be zero)
the voltage with the key off and no load (should be about 12.5v or higher)
the voltage with the battery under load (like the headlight is on) but the engine OFF (should be about 12v or higher)
the voltage with the engine running at about 3-4k rpm (should be about 13.5-14.5v)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess it's just a crap battery, I found no parasitic drain with my meter, I will see if my warranty will cover it.

I WISH it was as easy as riding it to the dealership to fix it. The dealer to here had a pitiful reputation for repairs. Id nearly rather just pay for a new battery than deal with them. It's sad.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Well I guess it's just a crap battery, I found no parasitic drain with my meter, I will see if my warranty will cover it.

I WISH it was as easy as riding it to the dealership to fix it. The dealer to here had a pitiful reputation for repairs. Id nearly rather just pay for a new battery than deal with them. It's sad.
Ride the bike in, ask if they will take a look, once they confirm it is a bad battery, ask if you can install the new battery.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I keep mine on a battery tender when I'm not riding it..even in the summer its plugged in if its sitting.......I think it helps the battery last longer, but if nothing else, it makes me feel better..:)

Reactions: Thantos

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The battery has its own warranty. When my heated grips were left on and drained the battery earlier this year, I took it to the dealership. They tested the battery and since it would not charge to 100%, they just gave me a new battery and took the old on for warranty replacement. Hope it works out as easy for you.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I used to work for a battery manufacturing company. Learned a lot about battery's.

Several things can kill a battery: Slow discharge is usually the big culprit on a bike as bikes tend to sit more than cars. Vibration and jarring can shake the internals apart. Overcharging is another, etc.

All batteries will slowly discharge when sitting. A slow discharge will lead to plate sulfation. This is a hard build up on the surface of the plates that blocks the acid from moving in and out of the plate. Acid traveling in and out of the plates is the essence of how a battery works. If the acid cannot move in and out then the plates can no longer charge up and discharge. Battery is now toast.

One way to guard against this is to ride the bike every day. If you don't ride often then a battery tender is the way to go. I put a tender on all my bikes.
Then instead of getting 6 months service out of your battery, it will increase the life to 2 to 3 years or more.

The price wont break the bank either. Cheap insurance.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4ul17h1grr_b

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm a firm believer in using a battery tender because the bike did idle a lot more than a car...at least for some of us, as I don't use the bike(s) to commute. As an example, we have a 2007 CBR 600 that still has the original battery in it (knock on wood). It is a Yuasa and it still works very well. I had a CBR1100XX Blackbird (1999) and when I sold it in 2005, it still had the original battery in it....Yuasa and kept on a tender

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
My next battery purchase will be a Lithium Iron Phosphate type....probably a Battery Tender brand.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I used a battery tender but I still believe that the Yusa that came stock is junk. I also have a Battery Minder Desulfator, and find it hard to believe that my stock battery was weakening after just a few months. I have a Shorai changer for my new battery. No real need to keep a lithium battery charged up, though.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My bikes get lots more driving than my cars. It is not uncommon for my car to sit 2 weeks between being driven.

My truck generally gets driven once per week.

My BMW is generally getting ridden about once a week. The BMW is connected to a battery tender when sitting. Has 110k miles and is on the 2nd battery in 14 years.

My FZ09 gets ridden almost everyday and I have yet to have a battery issue.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I used a battery tender but I still believe that the Yusa that came stock is junk. I also have a Battery Minder Desulfator, and find it hard to believe that my stock battery was weakening after just a few months. I have a Shorai changer for my new battery. No real need to keep a lithium battery charged up, though.
Sulfation is not always the culprit. But it is the issue a battery tender will prevent.

Sometimes the battery manufacturer can get a bad run of internal parts. If you have a weak separator it can crack and allow leakage between cells. This will wipe out the battery.

I have seen manufacturers thin down some of the internal lead pieces to cut costs only to have those thinned pieces melt when you hit the start button.

Determining failure is just a guess unless you break open the battery and do an autopsy.

"Scalpel, clamp, tweezers, jack hammer. Thank you nurse."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts