Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Shopping for some good over pants

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Steve101 
#1 ·
I have been tempting fate the past, oh nearly 20 years of my life by not wearing any protective pants while riding. I only started wearing a jacket when I go this bike! I was a certified squid indeed. However a couple of kids can change your mind about things. I am struggling to find a good option for my lower end. I usually commute to work on this thing, so strict riding pants are out. Some of the Jeans look ok, but havent found that pair (Under 400 bucks!) that looks decent. Then there are the over pants, I think that is where I need to invest my money, I have looked at the Alpinestars Oxygen Air over pants, I have the TGP plus air Jacket and its a nice piece. Anyone care to throw any recommendations out there? I have seen a lot of over pants that look like HAMMER pants...and I really don't want that! I have also considered the draggin liners, but havent really seen anything that can prove how effective they are, no "crash stories" involving them. Anything helps.

Thanks

#3 ·
I have two sets of Joe Rocket Alter Ego overpants. The older set for the Dr650SE and the new set for the 09.

I find they work great for all riding conditions, warm in the cold with the waterproof liner in, great ventilation when it hot out.

They are well put together and work great.

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 Pants - RevZilla

If you want something lighter, they have Joe Rocket Phoenix that can also be worn as an overpant.

Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Pants - RevZilla

Reactions: DNFDOUG
#7 ·
I like my alpinestars mesh overpants. I added multiple density foam knee pads that I bought. I don't recall the brand of the knee pads.

I tested the pants in Sept 2012 and they held up well and kept my legs from getting beaten up as much as they could. I was cut off at 40 mph and impacted the rear of a car, over the handlebars, somersault off the car and right shoulder first into the pavement.

No roadrash.
Only damage to my legs were massive bruising to the front of my thighs where I connected with the handlebars on my way exiting the motorcycle.

I replaced that set with a new set of Alpinestars.

#10 ·
I have crashed pretty heavily in draggin jeans. Road was smooth then bumpy, then i fell off. That's all i remember from the crash.
Slid into the armco post, and broke femur, tib and fib.
No road rash, jeans needed to be cut off me (scissors and kevlar is hard), and my leg would have broken if i was wearing leathers, too. Wouldn't have looked as nasty, but would have broken the same way.
Draggins make great gear.
I use bullit jeans to commute in now, as they have pocket for armour for knees and hips. And they look vaguely like black office pants.

#16 ·
Check out CycleGear.Com

I've got a couple of pair that are great Overpants. $100 +/- each delivered.

Excellent product.

#20 ·
I own the Cortech GX Sport pants found here. I've never been down in them (knock on wood) but they're quite comfy and have pretty good protection on the knees. Plus they're only $180.00; you can find them on Revzilla here.

#22 ·
If it is riding jeans that you are thinking of, you might want to check out the original riding jeans, Draggin' Jeans.

Men's - Jeans - Draggin Jeans

They offer five different styles, multiple colours and way more sizes to choose from, and you can add knee and/or hip armor.

Draggin' Jeans
Covering your ass!®

Motorcycle Consumer News Recommended Buy! The Classic Draggin’® Jeans have a straight leg with the traditional five pocket design. We also incorporate the change pocket on the left side for ease of use on your bike.

We use 14.5 ounce denim and a protective lining made with 13.5 ounce DuPont™ KEVLAR® fiber. Our protective lining extends from just below the belt loops to, well, just below your ass. It extends vertically from hip seam to hip seam. We cover your knees as well with protection that wraps around to cover the front and outside of the knee and shin.

Each pair of Draggin’® Jeans is handmade in the USA! They are pre-washed and pre-shrunk. We cut our jeans exactly true to size, so we recommend measuring a pair of your own jeans to get the right fit.

#23 ·
over the years I have owned 3 pairs of overpants, I have leathers for when going full hooligan, and I usually commute with dirtbike knee and shin armor under my jeans. as far as the over pants, my least favorite was the joe rocket alter ego, waterproof if you run the vinal inner liner, then you sweat to death instead. so so venting without it. Middle of the road for me was the joe rocket ballistic 7.0, definitely too hot for summer riding but no compaints otherwise, I have highsided in them at 80mph and they held up and saved my legs / hips. My favorite of the 3 are firstgear kathmandus, a little pricey but warm into the teens with thermal liner in, comfortable into the 60s without it, waterproof, not water resistant, and the bib feature (removable) is a nice touch for us bowling pin shaped riders. if I have any complaint with them its no choice in color, a pretty petty complaint.
Firstgear Kathmandu Overpants - RevZilla

#27 ·
Agreed....at least 85-90% of the time. However, I've had great success with the mesh protective pants.:)

Kingsquid: You still owe me! :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.