Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Newbie to this site, and set on buying a 2015 FZ very soon!

I'm torn between an FZ-09 or an FZ1. Yes I've searched and searched, understand that the 9 is lighter, more nimble, etc, and the 1 is more powerful, better for 2-up and long rides, etc.

The 9 price is very attractive, but another $2500 for a 1 is not a big deal to me, if it's a better fit.

I plan to commute to work (off-freeway) and do weekend rides on this bike. I haven't daily-driven a road bike for a few years, but have about 25yrs of 2-stroke motorcross and enduro racing under my belt. I've only street-ridden 650cc thumper enduro's for a few years, never had a 2+ cylinder on road as a daily. Clearly this is a step up to more power. I have experience on friend's R6/R1's though, and have ridden a buddy's VStrom 1000 on plenty of trips.

Which one do I get?!!!!! I'm used to Kawi 250's, so nimble and light and flickable is my passion. But, I don't want to outgrow the power of the 9 quickly and wish I'd gone for the liter. I tend to outgrow power quickly, and have a sickness of modding. My bikes were all fully tricked, my CTS-V is 600hp, and my Tundra is awaiting a supercharger and longtubes. I have issues. With that said, I have plenty of broken bones having aired the dunes regularly, and thus have respect for bikes and their power. HOWEVER, I don't plan on doing 150mph runs on this, I love being ALIVE and coming from motorcross, I have more fun maneuvering in the twisties. I'm leaning toward a 9 at this point, and am really trying to gain confidence in it's new platform versus a many-years-proven FZ1, before committing.

I guess the big question is, how do you like your FZ-09, do you have any regrets? Any design downfalls that can't be addressed? Anyone had a FZ1 and switched? Thoughts?

I'm 5-11, 185lbs, and in CA bay area. Weather is not an factor in the bike selection :)

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had a first generation FZ1 and really liked it, but the weight difference is more than apparent (and staggering) when on the bike. The 9 feels like a dirt bike in comparison, and as far as a comparison in acceleration, I can't tell a difference. The 09 will surprise you. Granted mine was the carbureted version and the injected FZ1's are supposed to be not as torquey. If you're not going to do much 2 up riding, to me its' a no brainer. Our local dealer had a '12 FZ1 sitting on the floor for the same price as the FZ09, and I passed on it.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Something else to consider is the fz1 has been around a while. There are many new, non current models out there. For instance a dealer not far from me has a few brand new 2013 fz1's for 5900 bucks. The fz-09 will be much more fun. The fz1 will be much more capable.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would go with an 09.. you mentioned being light and nimble multiple times coming from offroad bikes. Also, daily driving can save you a little bit on $ because the 09 has a better fuel economy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just traded in my 08 fz1 3 days ago for the 09. The FZ1 is way heavier and better for touring, as the 09 is way lighter and agile. Personally I enjoy the 09 engine over the fz1. The fz1 was very high revving and low end power wasn't great. I found myself bored on it unless I was wringing it out all the time. I am also 5'10" 185 !! Way more wind protecion on the Fz1 1 but not near as fun of a bike to me. I just read all of your post now and you will appreciate the 09 way more with your background. The way you like to ride, the FZ1 will feel heavy and clumsy.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I tend to outgrow power quickly, and have a sickness of modding.
HOWEVER, I don't plan on doing 150mph runs on this, I love being ALIVE and coming from motorcross, I have more fun maneuvering in the twisties.
these statements seem a bit contradictory. there's only so much power you can use in the twisties.

if you like the feel of a dirtbike, you'll be right at home on the 09.

plus, if you ever need more horsepower, there's always this:

Yamaha MT-09 (FZ-09) Turbo Kit. Streetfighter, cafe racer and custom motorcycle parts and accessories

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yes the FZ1 fuel economy was pretty crappy
My caddy gets about 14mpg, and the Tundra about 12.5mpg... anything 30+ for work commute will be a godsend, lol! This bike will be fully paid for by the monthly gas savings. Hell, I'm probably making money :p

How will I keep up with my buddy on his R6? Granted, he laps R1's regularly on the track, but as far as bike vs bike? With equal skill level, can the FZ-09 play with the 600's?

·
Registered
358 Posts
With appropriate modifications to the suspension then yes, you shouldn't have an issue..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here's the thing. The FZ1 is a decent bike. Yeah, it makes more horsepower in the higher rpms, but the actual useable horsepower is about the same due to the flat torque curve of the FZ09. For those that don't realize it, horsepower is a calculated number between the torque and rpm, so if you have a lot of torque at low RPMS, you have more horsepower at that point in time. If you have more area under the torque line from 0 to redline, then you have more horsepower. Peak numbers are ALWAYS misleading and don't really tell any of the real story.

The FZ09 weighs almost 75 lbs less. 75 POUNDS! This will be a HUGE difference in both handling and speed (if that's your thing). If all things being equal (FZ1 has about 6 more ft-lbs torque at it's peak), then the FZ09 will have a significantly better hp/weight ratio. This is why you'll see the FZ09 very close to the FZ1; close enough that the rider is the one that makes the difference, and not the bike.

Cycleworld test numbers:
FZ1*: 3.1s 0-60, 10.56 @131.82mph 1/4 mile
FZ09**: 2.7s 0-60, 10.66 @ 125.24mph 1/4 mile

*2007 model; I can't find 2014 or 2015 model specs

The FZ09 gets about 25% better fuel mileage, too, if that's something to worry yourself about.

There's a lot more aftermarket support to the FZ1, I'm sure, since the engine has been around forever. Personally, I came from Triumph motorcycles, and have a hard on for 3 cylinder engines. Yamaha's version is extremely good. There's just something more fun to riding a triple than a small-cylinder 4. More torque off the line makes for a lot more fun powering out of curves, launching, etc. It's pretty rare I go to triple digits anymore, so having a lower top end is not a concern at all for me. I can go from 0-90 faster than most any stock bike out there, and the majority of my time is either in the city (commuting) or in the country with a lot of curves and minimal straight stretches.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This may sound silly, But, Go to the dealership and SIT on both.....Walk around looking at whatever.....See which one speaks to you & Calls you back to hop aboard again. Repeat this process a couple of times and all your prayers will be answered.:cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
They are both good bikes. If either one came with an updated suspension R version then I would have bought that one. I was going to get an FZ1 until the FZ09 broke cover. I'd ridden a couple of the older gen R1's, and an FZ-08 - and the FZ-08 didn't appeal to me at all. I'm happy I got the FZ-09, and it carries a passenger fine. I have a set of FJR1300 passenger peg extenders I use when carrying a full size passenger, and the OEM 39l case with backrest.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Steve is just posting for #'s now. :laughing4:
No he's not. He is clearly the motorcycle whisperer.

I've owned both bikes and I wouldn't get rid of my FZ09 for another FZ1, but I might own both at the same time. I'd like to buy another FZ1 and set it up as a sport tourer. Although I've done several 500 mile days on the FZ09 with no real complaints other than the size of the gas tank. Also, if you do go with an FZ1 you shouldn't be paying $2500 more than the 09. You should be paying slightly less. There are a ton collecting dust on showroom floors. Do a search around the country and you'll find dealers giving them away.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Stock for stock and riders equal, the FZ-09 will likely get trounced on the track by the R6. The R6 has a much better suspension, a very well sorted chassis, and incrementally better brakes. But that said, the R6 is also more expensive than the FZ-09. Some carefully targetted mods to the FZ-09 will give most riders an advantage over the R6. The R6 chassis is very well sorted (it should be - it hasn't changed much in about 8 years), but the engine doesn't make the low or mid range power/torque of the FZ. So, if you sort the suspension and brakes, the R6 really only outshines the FZ at very high speeds...due to engine character, gearing, aero, chassis. We're talking 140+ mph range.

The FZ-09 has enough pull throughout the rev range that gear selection isn't as critical as it is on an I4 (even a liter bike). I've surprised many 600's and 750's on the track with drive out of the corners. Same goes for some older liter bikes, Speed Triples, etc. The FZ-09 accelerates like bikes making much more than 115 hp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am current FZ1 owner looking to sell it and get a FZ9.....the FZ1 is too powerfull and too heavy for me. I don't need to do 80 mph in first gear. Looking forward to getting a smaller, more flickable, hooligan bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
No he's not. He is clearly the motorcycle whisperer.

I've owned both bikes and I wouldn't get rid of my FZ09 for another FZ1, but I might own both at the same time. I'd like to buy another FZ1 and set it up as a sport tourer. Although I've done several 500 mile days on the FZ09 with no real complaints other than the size of the gas tank. Also, if you do go with an FZ1 you shouldn't be paying $2500 more than the 09. You should be paying slightly less. There are a ton collecting dust on showroom floors. Do a search around the country and you'll find dealers giving them away.
They are definitely Giving Away the 2014's because the 2015's are a completely New bike -- If you dealer isn't outright selling these below his cost, go to a local dealer who is....Yammy has given them enough to move them at phenomenal prices. The 2014's are a great deal if that's in fact the right bike for you, but then again, the Used 2013's and 2012's are also Great Deals.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Like others said, because they are very intelligent. Max HP and TQ mean little on the street. Useable power is all that you will perceive. That being said, if you get tired of a 116RWHP bike that weighs in at 400lbs fully fueled (which is easy with a couple cheap mods) then there is something wrong with you. Not only is it 116hp, but it has gobs of torque. It is like riding an S3 that weighs 75 pounds less than an S3.

I've looked at buying an FZ1 for a long while, but I prefer a nimble bike, to one with big numbers. If I decided to do some long trips, I'd consider the FZ1 with a full exhaust and a flash... But I don't. I ride 150 miles in a day, the 09 allows me to do that on one tank of fuel (pre Akra and flash).

Big numbers are just that, you won't see them on the street.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
They are definitely Giving Away the 2014's because the 2015's are a completely New bike -- If you dealer isn't outright selling these below his cost, go to a local dealer who is....Yammy has given them enough to move them at phenomenal prices. The 2014's are a great deal if that's in fact the right bike for you, but then again, the Used 2013's and 2012's are also Great Deals.

What changes did they make to the 2015 FZ1?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts