Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have done a bit of research and found that 99-07 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa and 03-04 GSXR-1000 have an Eye to Eye length that will fit on the FZ09. Only problem I can find is the busa shock has around an 800 pound spring rate and the gsxr 1000 shock has a 480 pound spring rate. The FZ has a 540? pound spring rate. Can I take the spring off the FZ and put it on either GSXR shock mentioned above or will it not fit?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Both shocks will fit with a bit of work,but the fz spring is to narrow.
If you go this route you would need to buy a suitable spring,or be
very heavy or very light.You should also factor in the cost of a rebuild
because it will more then likely need it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So have done a bit of research and found that 99-07 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa and 03-04 GSXR-1000 have an Eye to Eye length that will fit on the FZ09. Only problem I can find is the busa shock has around an 800 pound spring rate and the gsxr 1000 shock has a 480 pound spring rate. The FZ has a 540? pound spring rate. Can I take the spring off the FZ and put it on either GSXR shock mentioned above or will it not fit?
Eye to Eye is not the only measurement you need to check, You also need to check the shaft travel as not all bikes have the same leverage ratio. Too long of shaft travel is not good as then you increase the suspension travel and there might be issues of the tire hitting inside the fender under full compression.

NorWest

·
Registered
88 Posts
Eye to Eye is not the only measurement you need to check, You also need to check the shaft travel as not all bikes have the same leverage ratio. Too long of shaft travel is not good as then you increase the suspension travel and there might be issues of the tire hitting inside the fender under full compression.

NorWest
I had an 02 gsxr1000 shock fitted for about a week.Had no problems with anything hitting but the spring was to soft for my weight.
Even with the soft spring it was still a vast improvement over the standard shock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I found a good deal on a ZX6R shock. Wish I could have found a ZX6RR shock but I've never seen one on ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts