Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a writeup of a rear shock swap? I have a shock I want to toss on there, but never really found anything showing what all had to install new shock.

Should I just need to raise bike to let swing arm relax rear suspension and use long extension/socket? Or should I remove seat/tank etc?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I second that, my ZX10 shock gets here tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
so which one is the easy one? zx6rr? or zx10? the one with no modifications except swapping the shock. are they different based on weight? i know the rr shock is harder to find but that'll probably be the one i try to get...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was more about the weight... I"m big... so the zx10 shcokw as supposed to be better for heavier riders... I dont know... really tempted to try and hammer out this weekend... but we shall see

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The zx6rr has a stiffer spring rate than the zx10.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh that could have been it. Are there better shocks for the swap... Direct takeoffs from another bike?

Also with something like the zx6rr or other... Do you really have room to make suspension adjustments while installed on the bike?

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I guess I'm a little slow here but I don't understand how you can remove the shock with unweighting the suspension first?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can also use a single car jack and just lean the bike over onto the kickstand and slide the jack under the right side rearset to hold the rear tire off the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or straddle a ladder over the seat and use tie down straps.

I'm still having an issue getting to the rear bolt no matter how far
I move the wheel up or down?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Remove the top bolt, then remove the relay arm nut/bolt and the shock should rotate up so you can get the bottom bolt.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Had the bike lifted on a rear stand using the swingarm spools. Set a jack stand under each foot peg bracket (under the housing for the spring & mounting pin). Removed the rear stand and rear wheel was elevated about 2" off the ground.

Give the bike a shake to make sure it's stable and then get to wrenching

·
Registered
54 Posts
I need 2 hours to change the stock shock into ohlins
I need a friend to help me and 2 scissor jacklift....
one under engine and one above rear tyre under subframe
that's what I did yesterday

·
Registered
54 Posts
Or straddle a ladder over the seat and use tie down straps.

I'm still having an issue getting to the rear bolt no matter how far
I move the wheel up or down?

if I remember, I move the subframe (not the wheel) down until the rear bolt appear from swingarm...that's why I need 2 scissor car liftjack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts