Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shock came today from a salvage yard. Took it to the local Kawi in an attempt to ID it.

It is indeed an 05/06 ZX6 but don't know if it is the R or RR version.

Can one tell by how it looks?

Someone posted a pic on this forum and mine looks the same except the high speed compression adjust nut looks different. I am told the only difference between the two is the spring and internal dampening.

Also the guy posted the dimensions as being 330mm from mounting hole to mounting hole. Mine is 335mm ???

Anyone know what the stock shock length is? 330mm or 335mm?

Planning to send it off to Race Tech for overhaul, revalve, and spring. So I am thinking it will not make any difference which model I have.

Any thoughts? Suspension part Auto part Suspension Shock absorber Auto part

·
Registered
235 Posts
If I'm right the RR has a red knob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
That's correct.. The picture is off a zx6r.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shock came today from a salvage yard. Took it to the local Kawi in an attempt to ID it.

It is indeed an 05/06 ZX6 but don't know if it is the R or RR version.

Can one tell by how it looks?

Someone posted a pic on this forum and mine looks the same except the high speed compression adjust nut looks different. I am told the only difference between the two is the spring and internal dampening.

Also the guy posted the dimensions as being 330mm from mounting hole to mounting hole. Mine is 335mm ???

Anyone know what the stock shock length is? 330mm or 335mm?

Planning to send it off to Race Tech for overhaul, revalve, and spring. So I am thinking it will not make any difference which model I have.

Any thoughts? View attachment 2568 View attachment 2569
Did you end up going with this shock or go for the RR version? I'm in a position to get a 6R shock and I've read it's a little longer than the stock one, not sure if it will work.

Steve

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Steve I sent the R shock back and got the RR. It's a better shock with better adjustability.

3 clicker instead of 2. It has high and low compression damping where the R just has low speed. Both shocks have rebound damping.

I had Traxxion Dynamics do an overhaul and revalve. They put it on their shock dyno to tune it. They told me that it performs about the same as the $1200 triple clicker Penske.

It works really well on my bike and is the same length as the stock shock. The R shock is slightly longer. I think around 3mm longer.

I got the RR for $100 and the overhaul was $225. Add $25 shipping each way for a total of just under $400. Not a bad deal.

The only caveat is the compression and preload adjusters and are a little hard to get to. But once you get it all dialed in it becomes a non issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks... I was wondering what the main differences were. I'm wondering what the 5mm difference poses as far as risk for proper installation and operation. I don't want to hack anything together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts