Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my ZX6-RR shock back from Traxxion last night. Installed it late and got to take it for a quick ride before work today.

All I can say is WOW! Now that they have all the intel from recently doing an FZ09, they set mine up perfectly.

I did not touch a thing just installed it. Sag turned out to be about 33mm and the ride height is 10mm taller than the stock shock. This makes the bike turn in to corners better than before. The ride is plush while at the same time firm. I could not be happier.

If any of you are running a stock ZX6-RR shock and you don't weight 250 pounds (I am 180 to 185 in riding gear) then you should consider sending it to Traxxion to work their magic. At my weight with the stock shock it was harsh beyond belief. I would have sold the bike if that was as good as it would get. The stock shock at my weight is way over sprung and the compression damping was about twice as strong as it needed to be.

Traxxion did a revalve and reduced the compression damping by about 50%. They also installed a softer spring. Stock spring is 585lbs and they installed a 550lb spring.

They told me that the shock now performs about the same as the high end Penske but has a smaller adjustability range with the clickers.

It ended up costing me about $475 total. That's about half of a double clicker Penske. :)

Cowabunga Dude! Knees bee dragging soon.... Yea right!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I thought you had it rebuilt when you first got it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just got my ZX6-RR shock back from Traxxion last night. Installed it late and got to take it for a quick ride before work today.

All I can say is WOW! Now that they have all the intel from recently doing an FZ09, they set mine up perfectly.

I did not touch a thing just installed it. Sag turned out to be about 33mm and the ride height is 10mm taller than the stock shock. This makes the bike turn in to corners better than before. The ride is plush while at the same time firm. I could not be happier.

If any of you are running a stock ZX6-RR shock and you don't weight 250 pounds (I am 180 to 185 in riding gear) then you should consider sending it to Traxxion to work their magic. At my weight with the stock shock it was harsh beyond belief. I would have sold the bike if that was as good as it would get. The stock shock at my weight is way over sprung and the compression damping was about twice as strong as it needed to be.

Traxxion did a revalve and reduced the compression damping by about 50%. They also installed a softer spring. Stock spring is 585lbs and they installed a 550lb spring.

They told me that the shock now performs about the same as the high end Penske but has a smaller adjustability range with the clickers.

It ended up costing me about $475 total. That's about half of a double clicker Penske. :)

Cowabunga Dude! Knees bee dragging soon.... Yea right!

I'm not saying its a bad shock or that it's not as good as the high end penske, but I'd need to see the performance response graphs for the high end penske and the rr shock.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you had it rebuilt when you first got it.
Hey Richard. Yes I did but that was before they had seen an FZ09 in their shop. After setting that FZ up with a Penske they discovered that the Penske matched up with the FZ linkage had way too much compression damping so they had to modify the shim stack to soften it up.

So my zx6rr shock came back way too stiff the first time. Dan told me to send it back and they would revalve it free of charge. It also required a softer spring too. Now it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not saying its a bad shock or that it's not as good as the high end penske, but I'd need to see the performance response graphs for the high end penske and the rr shock.
I got that Intel on how it performed from Martin, their head suspension tuner. He put mine on the shock Dino and sent me the graph print out. According to him it performed on par with the Penske. Just saying.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got that Intel on how it performed from Martin, their head suspension tuner. He put mine on the shock Dino and sent me the graph print out. According to him it performed on par with the Penske. Just saying.
Nice. Good thing you didn't sell it! Sounds like you like the way it performs, in the end thats what matters.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow, good customer service. When I road your bike, it felt good to me. Of course I have twenty seven more pounds then you.

Reactions: gbarney
1 - 8 of 8 Posts