Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back home from riding. We went out ALL day with the pack of Harleys.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this because I have noticed it in passing and one of the guys was riding behind me said something about it. We were riding on what would be the PA equivalent of a tail of the dragon kind of road. There were a lot of turns and elevation changes and I was shifting more than I normally would. Here's what I noticed:

(1) If I shift and only barely pull in the clutch and load the shifter, I can shift the bike and it's smooth, no noticeable jump of the bike. It seems like the clutch isn't even necessary to do this.

(2) If I actually pull the clutch in around halfway and shift, I notice that the bike will almost jump and this is with letting the clutch out smoothly and giving it gas. At times, I've had the front tire go air born (slightly). The guy behind me commented on how I would shift and the bike would almost throw me off of the seat a bit.

This can be me and I need to work on my shifting, or this can be something else. Since we all ride the same bike, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The revs drop so quick and the throttle is so sensitive that it's really hard to match the revs when you change gears. I was having issues in STD and A trying to shift smoothly. A bit more throttle control and a lot of practice... now much better. I've noticed too that you don't need to go full clutch to go up a gear... smoother for me as well.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Adjust the clutch out a little bit by turning the thumbwheel counterclockwise for quicker engagement. You will not have to pull it in as far. Also, practice reducing the time between pulling in the clutch, shifting, and getting back on the gas. With practice, you will be able to do this quickly without unsettling the bike. If you are shifting while you are high in the RPM's, you don't have to completely let off the gas to achieve upshifts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Both great pieces of advice. And Jen, you're right-preloading the shifter and a light clutch pull will make this bike shift much smoother. The other thing that helps, as you mentioned, is a smooth roll back on the throttle. This bike can shift seamlessly with practice, conversely, it WILL let you know if it wasn't right...lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Shifting a bike trans is a LOT different than a car.... everything happens a lot more quickly. You should be shifting as you are pulling in the clutch. And at the same time rollingof, then on the throttle. All at the same time.... things happen more leisurely in a car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't really use the clutch unless im starting out in first, trying to wheelie, or downshifting... But I have never had hopping with normal upshifting....

Anyways, where is this tail off the dragon kind of road at... I'm in PA and interested?!?!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I don't really use the clutch unless im starting out in first, trying to wheelie, or downshifting... But I have never had hopping with normal upshifting....
+1...I use the clutch for starting, stopping and downshifting....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Anyways, where is this tail off the dragon kind of road at... I'm in PA and interested?!?!
If you take 501 until the end, you can get on 125 around there- crazy freaking road. We went on a River Road and I'll have to ask where else. It was pushing my limits. The road itself was pushing my limits and we were taking turns way too fast based on my skill level. Hey, made it through fine, this wasn't my idea of "fun" though. It was good practice.

I'll ask one of my friends about the road names to verify.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Many years ago I had a bike with a whole lot of false neutrals when upshifting, but I discovered it never happened if I didn't use the clutch. I got used to that and now only use the clutch for downshifting and stopping.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like a bit too much gas when changing gears too, to get the front wheel to lift.

Much as Doug mentioned, getting off the gas isn't always required with slight clutch action high up in the rpm range. Plus....................its just fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts