Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my rear sets powder coated flat black and when I got everything back I noticed the bushings looked like they had been coated. My friend told me there was no way because he had plugged each side. They seem to be some sort of plastic impregnated bronze. Now I have to try and locate some new bushings or ream them out to fit. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Might want to remove them before they go into the oven. I'll post some pics after I get them back on the bike.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Eastwood sells a powder coat remover. Use that to remove the excess powder from the bushings. I would not ream the bushings. A small wire wheel on a dremel will work too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the powder coat that's causing the problem it's the bushings themselves. I'm telling you that the plastic oozed out of the bushings after the 400 degree oven treatment to cure the parts.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's not the powder coat that's causing the problem it's the bushings themselves. I'm telling you that the plastic oozed out of the bushings after the 400 degree oven treatment to cure the parts.
I can't see your parts but there is no such a thing as "plastic oozing out of a metal bushing". If the bushings were plastic...which they aren't...it would have been a giant puddle mess of melted plastic. Bushings are usually bronze.
Post up some pictures so we figure this out. I would "assume" the powder coater knows what he doing if he has a legit business. If the powder was done by your buddy at home...then i'd say it's his fault.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I doubt you can buy replacement bushings.

You will probably need to buy a new shifter lever and brake lever

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Maybe something found it's way onto the bushings during powder coating. A little emery cloth on a dowel may clean them up. If they can cleaned up, give give them a try before getting ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had my rear sets powder coated flat black and when I got everything back I noticed the bushings looked like they had been coated. My friend told me there was no way because he had plugged each side. They seem to be some sort of plastic impregnated bronze. Now I have to try and locate some new bushings or ream them out to fit. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. Might want to remove them before they go into the oven. I'll post some pics after I get them back on the bike.
Look on bikebandit.com under oem parts. It's shows a breakdown of the parts. I believe you can order it their.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oil impregnated brass bushings do exist, just saying. We use them in the aviation industry, but I'm sure they are used elsewhere. If you squeeze them a fluid fluid comes out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts