Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nuts, so of course I had to read the manual before I will be taking the bike out. Forget about the break in thing, that's making me even crazier, especially the motorman, "change the oil after twenty miles" thing.

Anyway, according to the manual, the shift points are:
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph

I'm coming from a 1200cc Harley where I can ride around the side streets or in town in first for a while, up to around 20 mph and then just leave it in second up to around 35 mph.

With the FZ-09, if I'm in a 40 zone with lights, 6th gear feels a bit excessive.

I shift by listening to the engine anyway, not by how fast I'm going, but this is my first sport bike and I don't want to cause more damage than necessary.

At what speeds do you shift for normal non-aggressive riding? I'm going to be riding with my husband who has maybe ten miles of experience, so I'm going to take it easy for a while. I used to ride by myself but he decided he wanted to learn. We will be heading out today so I can take the bike out.

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
12mph is like 2500 rpm or something, which is ridiculous for a sportbike. i personally don't know anyone who shifts up that early.

if i'm taking it easy, i'll shift up out of first at around 5k rpm, which works out to maybe 25mph.

i don't normally look at the gauges, i shift by feel.

it'll take a while to get used to the difference in feel from your harley. my last bike was an inline four and i'm so used to riding inline fours that i still sometimes find myself at higher revs than i thought on the 09 because a triple revving at a certain rpm 'feels' like it's revving lower than a four at the same rpm.

p.s. it's okay to rev all the way to redline, you won't damage anything even though it might feel like it. that's just because you're used to low-revving bikes. the 09's power peak is at around 10k rpm, so it will pull hard all the way up.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
generally shift point is somewhere above cruising speed in that gear, then it is time to shift up.

personally i don't get to 6th before 70 or so

Reactions: six5ride

·
Registered
601 Posts
Anyway, according to the manual, the shift points are:
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph
So that's why I'm not getting 50mpg! Haha.

Those numbers are ridiculously low. They seem more like the minimum rpm to keep the engine from lugging and stalling.

I wouldn't worry about it. You already shift by feel so will adjust to the bike's characteristics soon enough. As others have alluded to, a knowledge of the bike's power curve can be useful.

You made quite a step up in performance from the Harley. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
*Office Space Voice*
Yeeeahhh....I'm gonna need you to go ahead and throw that manual awaaaayy. Ohkaay

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I shift by feel and the situation. My first and only ride before winter I did a bunch of hard accelerations from low 2nd (15ish?) to 90 in third. No I'm not suggesting you do that either lol.

Hmm, maybe those points would sort of work for down shifting?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jen, don't go by those book numbers, they are rediculous and you don't want to lug this new engine down that low, we're encouraging harmful detonation by lugging (low rpm, large throttle openings) higher rpms below redline are easier on an engine and will help ensure a better break in. This triple is not a Harley don't treat it as such. And changing the oil early and often doesn't hurt a thing, the first change being the most important as you will be flushing out manufacturing swarf and the extra hydrocarbons from ring blowby as they start to seat/seal, just use a good m/c non-synthetic oil and new filter (Yamaha or whatever brand you prefer)...Mark

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading the manual was useful. I found out there's some kind of 12 V connector. I don't know what that can be used for yet, but it seems like it could be useful if you could use it for heated gear or a gps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You can take the manual and throw it out the window! It's completely useless. You shift when you hear that the bike needs to shift depending on the situation. I do not shift into 2nd until a minimum of 6k rpm if I'm just tooling around. If I'm aggressive it'll be closer to 10k rpm. After a while you will know what the bike wants just by your ears alone.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My normal shift point is between 4-5k (I've never had a big bore cruiser). With the FZ, I've found the sweet spot in the power band is around 8500... this is where, if you don't get your head down and weight forward when WOT, you'll be lofting the front wheel in third gear... and sometimes fourth if you're just coming over a rise at the wrong time (or right time, depending on your point of view). :O

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing that was the strangest riding the bike today was that at a steady speed of around 45 mph, it didn't make a difference what gear I was in (second, third, fourth, or fifth). The bike seemed to stay at around 4k or a little lower. I shifted higher just to practice shifting on the bike, but I didn't notice much. I averaged 36.5 mpg, so maybe the higher gears would result in better gas mileage? I have an r/t challenger and leave it in a higher gear on the highway just for the gas mileage, the same logic should work on a bike, but the RPMS are the same, got me, makes no sense.

Since I had my husband with me (who is new and was following me) I was constantly looking back to make sure that he was there. I opened it up a few times and don't know what the RPMs were, but then I got back to like 20 so he could find me up the road. It's probably a good thing that I had the forced speed control behind me, because this thing is just asking to be opened up whenever there is a clear stretch of road in front of you. In PA, that happens all the time on the back roads. There are some really good quiet twisty back roads around here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
DANG! RT Challenger nice!! You and my wife could be racing buds if you were closer. She drives a WRX only because the SRT8 Challenger and her 80 mile round trip commute did not calculate!

Back to the question, I think I saw 50 or more today in 1st gear, so yes the book in conservative! I will be curious what you think of the 09's power once you get to try it out.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has power...hah. It has as much power as I'm going to need. It should be interesting getting back on the Harley after this.

I have a bunch of cars at home. I was into the car thing way before the motorcycle thing. Once gas hit $4+ a gallon, the 7 mpg that I get using premium has been a bit much. It made me crazy spending so much to bring my Trans Am (like Smokey and the Bandit) to a car show or anything else. I literally gave in and bought a Prius. Seriously. I finally loaded pictures on the forum since I figured I would be staying a while with the bike and all, and one of them is a picture of me with the Prius. Since I've been used to fast cars, the bike thing has solved the fast problem and has let me live with the Prius nonsense. I drive 122 miles round trip for work, so even 25 mpg with premium isn't an option. My 2007 Prius has 318k miles and we have a backup one that we use to go between NY and PA so it would have even more miles! Whoo hoo for motorcycles.

Reactions: Brian-2

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The one thing I hate about LCD tachs is you can't really see the rpms very well. Definitely the higher gears will give you better mileage. At 45 mph (73 Km/h) I'm usually in no higher than 4th ... usually only in third. This bike has so much torque, if you're in a higher gear, it really doesn't affect the performance that much, so just go with what feels better to you and watch your lines on those twisties instead of watching the rpms. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats on your new bike!!
45mph and 4k sounds like fourth gear? Dropping to second would be like 7k ?
I think you are in new bike sensory overload. I can relate. I could not tell what gear I was in for the first 100 miles or so. The torque at low revs made me think I was in a higher gear and was taking off from a stop in second. Quite easy for this bike. I also got off of a sportster to the 09. Forget the revs associated with the sportster. 3k for it is like 6.5 k for the 09. I know you are watching the tach like I did for break in, but in time you will not be so glued to it. You will get the feel of the motor through your loins( can I say that) lol.
This motor is a lot smoother too, even at high revs, and that short circuited you and I being used to the sportster rattling your fillings at 6k.
Just saying that you are on a completely different animal now, and you are gonna like it, a lot.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the first bike I've been on that has had a tach or a shift indicator. I am used to shifting by feel/sound of the engine. I am not used to the sound of the engine on this bike compared to a Harley or a twin with a Vance and Hines exhaust. It started to sound the same but I went with my gut for the shift points. It seemed to want to get out of first at around 20 mph, other than that, it didn't seem to really care what gear it was in. With the Suzuki S40 that I just traded, if you were going 30 mph, you had to be in third gear.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on your new bike!!
45mph and 4k sounds like fourth gear? Dropping to second would be like 7k ?
I think you are in new bike sensory overload. I can relate. I could not tell what gear I was in for the first 100 miles or so. The torque at low revs made me think I was in a higher gear and was taking off from a stop in second. Quite easy for this bike. I also got off of a sportster to the 09. Forget the revs associated with the sportster. 3k for it is like 6.5 k for the 09. I know you are watching the tach like I did for break in, but in time you will not be so glued to it. You will get the feel of the motor through your loins( can I say that) lol.
This motor is a lot smoother too, even at high revs, and that short circuited you and I being used to the sportster rattling your fillings at 6k.
Just saying that you are on a completely different animal now, and you are gonna like it, a lot.
Oh man, I forgot about that. I posted something before about the first ride. The bike doesn't shake!! How did I not realize that. This bike does not vibrate at all. That's a bonus. I do like the sound of a Harley though. It's roughness grows on you. I really am appreciating technology though. I can't believe I have a gas gauge. Would it be that hard for Harley to figure out a way to tell you how much gas you have? Not a problem at this point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oh man, I forgot about that. I posted something before about the first ride. The bike doesn't shake!! How did I not realize that. This bike does not vibrate at all. That's a bonus. I do like the sound of a Harley though. It's roughness grows on you. I really am appreciating technology though. I can't believe I have a gas gauge. Would it be that hard for Harley to figure out a way to tell you how much gas you have? Not a problem at this point.
Yeah, it is smooth. Heck at 7k it is with out any! At first it was hard to tell where I was in the rpms. But now I know real close where I am with out looking. I absolutely love the sound of the sportster(will always have one). The vibration and all. I like minimalist bikes-flip to reserve and no gauge--just me, but i can appreciate the info on the 09 display too. I keep engine temp as my default. The sound of the triple is pleasing and unique, especially with all of the fours out there running.
I have had mine for better than four months and still ride it every day that I can, wanna bet that you do too?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm keeping the bike where I am on the weekends. I work in NY, and there's no way I would ride near NYC. PA is much nicer for riding. For now, this will be for the weekends until school lets out in the summer (we are both teachers). Then it will be every day!

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
what rpm are you guys seeing at idle?
my bike seems kinda high idling at 1100 rpm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts