Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would seem that I hinted about getting a shift light for my bike just long enough

Look what I found under the tree on Christmas morning!!!

1 present.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always liked the idea of a shift light to give the driver / rider feedback on shift points without distracting your attention from the road. This has worked so well for me in my autocross car, that I just had to try to set one up on the FZ.

The Proform 67007C Slim Digital Shift Light was my choice since it "claimed" to work on engines with 1-12 cylinders and up to a 12000 rpm range so I thought it would be perfect!

Getting power for the unit was a breeze since our FZs come with a switched and fused accessory power supply on the right hand side of the bike under the faux air intake cleaner. That was easy. But getting an rpm signal source was not so straightforward.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
3 crank trigger lead.jpg

This is a picture of the crank trigger lead (two wires) which can be found just in front of the battery. Many devices including power commanders use this lead as an engine speed source. Big thanks to Marthy for helping me identify this lead.
Here is another pic

4 crank lead again.jpg

well, there are only two options, I was not sure which one to try since the color code of the harness varies from region to region. Anyway only one wire gave a reading on the shift light which by the way can also function as a digital tachometer.

The readings were way off and erratic. This is when I discovered that although the shift light was advertised for engines with 1-12 cylinders, it did not cater for 3 cylinder vehicles. I tried all the cylinder options 1, 2, 4,6,8,10 and 12 but none gave me a reading I could use reliably.

I was at the point of giving up and telling my wife the bad news when I had the idea of trying to use a negative coil lead! (as stated in the product instructions)

So for the first time I began to browse the service manual only to discover that the PDF I have is not searchable, nor are any of the wiring diagrams readable.:mad:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So taking matters into my own hands I decided to check out the coil wire leads myself.
5 coil lead 1.jpg
That was from cylinder 1

Here's the look of cylinder 2
6 coil lead 2.jpg

You may notice that both of them have a red wire with a black stripe. The same is true for cylinder 3.
So I thought that since that was common that was likely the lead that would give me an engine speed pulse....... WRONG!

Turns out it was the other lead that gave me what I was looking for. So I tapped, soldered, heat shrunk and insulated the pulse lead, set the shift light to 1 Cylinder mode and fired up the bike! (ps: it took a while since I had to remove the tank and airbox)

Voila! It worked perfectly with a very stable tach reading. Only thing left to do was mount the shift light.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Nice write up, thank you for adding that to the Guides section.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Good deal man. What rpm will you set it for?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For now I just used some double sided tape to mount the shift light to the under side of my windscreen. It just pokes up a tad.

The function at night is perfect... I mean that you notice the shift light even if your not looking at the dash. In the day time, it is less pronounced. If you're tucked in (say... at a race track) you will definitely see it when your looking ahead, but during normal daytime riding its not as bold as I would like.

I see amazon has a wireless version.... may mount it inside the helmet:D (just kidding).

Hope this helps someone looking to do something similar.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last update. I relocated the light so I get feedback even during daytime without having to look at the dash directly.
Peace.
image.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts