Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHIFT CAM RECALL: STOP RIDING??
I received the official letter from Yamaha on Saturday, April 13th. Lawyers' fingerprints are all over the language. Here's the crappy part: It says stop riding the motorcycle immediately and don't ride until the service has been performed. That's Yamaha's official position. I went over to my dealership and asked them when they'll get the part. They didn't even know about the recall. They checked while I waited, and said the part won't even arrive until June. They said "well just go ahead and ride it anyway." that was from the Yamaha dealership. Can you imagine an auto company acting this way? So officially, the company has covered its ass by saying stop riding immediately. Meanwhile, there's a worm in my head ruining my peace of mind, and because the letter was written in full-stop CYA mode, I have no way to judge how minor or serious the risk really is. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Talked to my dealer about it last week. They had just received the notice. Said it's a pretty easy job, they'll just have to remove the clutch cover to perform. Part is on back-order until early June, but advised me to check back sooner.

I asked about continuing to ride and they said Yamaha is advising rider to stop riding because if that part breaks while you're riding, you won't be able to shift and could crash/die = lawsuit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been riding mine since the first post about the recall on here and everything has been fine. There is always that chance but I know people with over 5000 miles that are on the recall list. Enjoy your time on the bike and get it fixed once your dealer has the part on hand and is waiting on u to show up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best then not to talk to dealer about it, that way if something does happen they can't come back and say you'd been verbally notified. A freakin letter in the mail is not enough to save Yamaha if something happens....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took mine down to the dealership 2 weeks ago when I first found out. They said it was probably safe to ride but they have to cloak these things in legalize. I have 500 miles on it and am planning on riding if the part isn't in until June. I'm not a speed demon anyway!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just so you all know....the SHIFT SHAFT is a long shaft that goes from the the gear shift LEVER....to the side of the shift drum. It's whole function is to shift the gears in the transmission from the outside the engine itself. If this part fails...the ONLY thing that will happen is your bike will be stuck in the gear that you were in when it broke. It will not lock up the transmission...or make you crash. The bike will just be in a certain gear and you won't be able to select a different gear. In all likelihood.....you should be able to ride the bike back home if it isn't too far.

There is no point to stop riding your until your dealer gets the part. Even if it does break.....it will not destroy any other parts.

Reactions: XRMikey

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just called my dealer, they asked me to bring the bike in and THEN they will order the part. I will stop by there tomorrow or call again. I just now hit 550 miles. If they cant have it till June, Im going to ride my bike, if something dumb happens, then it's my fault I suppose, good thing I know how to work on bikes!

Has anyone of us on the forum actually had this part break?!?! I haven't found anything through searching.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Boy if Yamaha whats us to stop riding and wait for parts that will not be here until June they better have a lot of loaner bikes or buy the bikes back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yea what is the issue on loaner bikes when it comes to recalls? If it's going to be a couple months and the recall states don't ride, then is it possible to get a loaner through Yamaha? Never been through this so not real sure how this works.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm gonna ride either way but was just curious.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You might be able to press them if the 09 is your only mode of transportation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts