Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a few days off this week so I had the 600 mile service done on Wednesday, then it rained all day Thursday so instead of riding I drove around to various bike shops and bought a new helmet to replace my aging HJC CL12 (yes a 12). I'm now the proud owner of a HJC CL17. :D

But I digress, so I told myself that if I woke up this morning and it wasn't raining I would stretch Anna's legs. Yes my bike's name is Anna, as in Anna Kendrick. My car is Katy Perry in case you were wondering. This is what happens when you're a single Dad with a 10 year old daughter. It's not so bad really, people ask "What did you do today?" I answer, "Rode Anna Kendrick." They're like :confused:

So I waited until about noon for most of the rain to evaporate and for the temperature to come up into the 60's and then I pointed Anna in the direction with the least amount of clouds and the clearest skies. After about an hour I found myself in some nice weather in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. For those of you that don't know the Shenandoah Valley runs from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (where I live) South through 9 counties in Virginia...I hit most of them. Here are a few photos from my iPhone.

Road Asphalt Sky Highway Lane

Natural landscape Nature Road Grass Green

This is what most of the roads looked like today. Decent quality back roads through nice farm land. Only 2 problems ... 1. Most of the driveways are gravel and the rain from the past few days washed a lot of it into the road which is always fun and 2. You never know when you'll buzz around a corner into a tractor or some other large agricultural type machine.

Reactions: shamrock and MoFZio

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I worked my way into the George Washington National Forest.

Nature reserve Nature Natural landscape Vegetation Trail

Stopping for a photo op with Anna and the Valley over what I believe is Page County Virginia near Luray.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Mountain range Highland

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I then rode 211 through a portion of the Shenandoah National Park.

Natural landscape Road Nature reserve Vegetation Thoroughfare

A quick stop for lunch at Burgers N Things in Sperryvile, VA.

Property Building House Shed Roof

Which is where I met the 8 or so members of the Messengers MC.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycling Motorcycle Lane

Apparently when you're a member of a MC and you ride a big Harley, you can just park anywhere, like in the middle of the turn lane.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then back up 211 back through the Shenandoah National Park.

Road Motorcycle Vehicle Thoroughfare Asphalt

Into just fabulous weather.

Road Natural landscape Asphalt Highway Sky

Then a casual ride home up Rt. 11 North with a quick stop in Mount Jackson, VA to see the Meem's Bottom Covered Bridge .

Humpback bridge Road Bridge Infrastructure Tree

All in all I probably did a little over 200 miles. Stopped for gas 3 times, each time I was approached by someone asking what she was, how big was her engine, "Is that a Suzuki?" A Suzuki? :confused: Overall I have no complaints whatsoever. I'm really liking this bike and am planning on some longer trips in the near future. Maybe I'll add some video to future posts, if Groupon ever sends me my #@%$ Contour.

Reactions: madcow

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Beautiful part of the country - I love it dearly. I'm headed down to that area for work soon, so I'll be on the bike and taking in what I can. Thanks for sharing the photos - just what I need to get me looking ahead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful part of the country - I love it dearly. I'm headed down to that area for work soon, so I'll be on the bike and taking in what I can. Thanks for sharing the photos - just what I need to get me looking ahead.
Definitely some nice areas to ride down this way. Hope you get a chance to enjoy them while you're here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I ride the 3 forests in the valley often. Trying to get my friend on his FZ to go with me one long weekend.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have family that lives in Mt Jackson. Fantastic roads in that area of the valley. If there was decent employment I think I would move there. Maybe retirement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride the 3 forests in the valley often. Trying to get my friend on his FZ to go with me one long weekend.
If you head out that way let me know!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have family that lives in Mt Jackson. Fantastic roads in that area of the valley. If there was decent employment I think I would move there. Maybe retirement.
I hear ya, there's not much there for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did another 250 miles today. Started up in Maryland then cut west through the Cumberland Valley and south into West Virginia and then back east into the Shenandoah Valley again. I spent most of the day in A mode ... NICE :D ... I hadn't really messed with it much but now I think it will be my go to. I didn't take many pictures today, spent most of the day going a little faster than yesterday. Spent more time focused on the road than the scenery. I did snap a couple when I was on a back road between Capon Bridge WV and Wardensville WV.

Motorcycle Vehicle Road Road trip Motorcycling

Road Asphalt Property Natural landscape Land lot

I also saw another FZ on 55 between Front Royal VA and Strasburg VA. Gold forks gave it away before I was even close enough to see what it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts