Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
It all depends. I have several 6.0Ls (Ford). They are high-oil-shear engines as they use high pressure oil to fire the injectors. T6 is a 7500+ mile interval oil. In 6.0Ls, oil needs to be changed every 5k. I use T6 in all my diesels, but no oil survives long in the 6.0L! ;)
I owned a 6.0 for 6 years. Didn't put a ton of miles on it, so took a length of time for me to accumulate many miles. Started performing oil analysis. Before I ended up selling off the truck to get a Ford Edge, I had accumulated just over 30,000 miles/ 3 years & 3 months with AMSOIL and oil was still suitable for continued use. I've used AMSOIL for almost 15 years in everything I own, been a dealer for over 8. My family owns and operates a farm and a tree service, and we use it in everything. I've raced and ridden on the street for quite a while and it's all I will use. After seeing it used firsthand in a very wide range of machinery and how well it performs and how long it lasts, I will never use anything else. Everybody has their own favorite brand of oil, but if you want to use the best, use AMSOIL.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Amsoil salesmen remind me of Kirby vacuum salesmen... I feel like I need a shower after they are finished talking. Snake oil.
Snake oil? Sorry if you've had bad experience with an AMSOIL dealer in the past, but we are all independent and as such may all conduct business a little differently. And some of us know and understand our product line a little or a lot better than others. Pretty sure I've never given anyone reason to feel that way about me. Maybe you need to do a little more research before coming to a silly conclusion about the quality of a product? It's hard to argue ASTM test methodology, especially with plenty of real world data to back it up. A lot of proof right here: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx?zo=1397986 AMSOIL pioneered synthetic oil 42 years ago, and has led the way ever since.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So the secret is out but what filter are you using?
I save big using these.
I used those for years on my trucks and put one on my bike on the 2nd oil change. I recently stopped using them and threw away all of my inventory due to a widespread issue with torn filter media, which has apparently been going on for a few years now. Search 'purolator pureone torn media' and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. This is what happens:

·
Registered
580 Posts
That media tearing is interesting - specially as I like the purolator filters. I have not seen that problem with any of the ones I have taken apart.

So which filter did you swap to - I assume it was not back to the Yamaha filter with the automatic oil bypass built in...
i.e. the non sealed ends of the filter - a lot of manufacturers are doing this now. Honda cars have been doing it for years

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There is another issue with Purelator filters. Low oil pressure on some applications.

There is such an abundance of filter media that on some engines it will cause a lower oil pressure.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I get the dino Rotella T oil (non-synthetic) at Walmart . They only carry 2 varieties, T or T6. I have changed oil at 200, 600, 4100 miles. Today I thought I would hit 6000 but only got in 162 miles easy valley ride today so at 5969 miles. Only thing Yamaha has done is the reflash. I fill to almost the top of the sight glass (small gap) because I had the oil level light come on once that scared the crap out of me. Motor has never used any oil between intervals. Just use the oil you want and sleep well.
Multi weight oil like 5-40 simply has the low viscosity when cold and high viscosity when hot. The FZ-09 does not stay cold long IMHO.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So which filter did you swap to
Hiflo Filtro HF204. I've also heard (shockingly) that the Fram (yes, Fram) 'Tough Guard' filters have proven to be reliable, quality filters, but I don't have much experience with them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Rotella T, and I also have not had a CCT issue (4500 miles). Just coincidence ? Probably . Other folks?

Sent from far outer space

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Hiflo Filtro HF204.
Isnt that the same as a K&N filter? ..I use the K&N KN204 on my bike but it looks like the HiFlo is 3 bucks cheaper..:)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hiflo Filtro HF204. I've also heard (shockingly) that the Fram (yes, Fram) 'Tough Guard' filters have proven to be reliable, quality filters, but I don't have much experience with them.
i'm currently running a fram ultra - very high quality filter with synthetic media.

standard length is xg6607. xg7317 is the longer one.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Isnt that the same as a K&N filter? ..I use the K&N KN204 on my bike but it looks like the HiFlo is 3 bucks cheaper..:)
Word is Hiflo makes K&N filters, but I have no proof. I use their filters in my dirt bikes too...half the price of Yamaha filters and quality is as good or better.

i'm currently running a fram ultra - very high quality filter with synthetic media.

standard length is xg6607. xg7317 is the longer one.
Good to know. I have a TG7317 as a spare.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just changed to T6 today @ 2000 miles. took it for a quick spin. shifting is much smoother. :icon_thumleft:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts