Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that when I look for Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic I find 5w40 and the word Diesel associated with it? Apparently no other weight oil is offered in Shell Rotella T6 synthetic?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
T6 meets the standards for motorcycle oil, however was developed and marketed for diesel engines.

That is the only weight available for T6

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would never use a oil that was not labled MA for motorcycles, diesel engines do not sheer the oil like the transmission and clutch do on motorcycles. If it is labled MA then it is good to go, 5w 40 should be fine in FL. just my two cents worth. RR :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rotella T6 is perfectly fine, it is rated JASO MA.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use it in everything I own, including the fz-09 ever since the 600 mile service. currently just under 900 miles (I've only had it two weeks, gimme a break)

2005 honda accord 2.4liter ulev pzev
2000 dodge dakota 5.9l hemi
every motorcycle I own.... which is a lot.

jaz

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am running T6 since 605 miles.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've run Rotella synthetic and non-synthetic for 15+ years in dirtbikes, streetbikes... been a great performing, very inexpensive oil.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
T6 is great oil and I use it in my trucks, bikes, and even my lawn mower.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I would never use a oil that was not labled MA for motorcycles, diesel engines do not sheer the oil like the transmission and clutch do on motorcycles. If it is labled MA then it is good to go, 5w 40 should be fine in FL. just my two cents worth. RR :cool:
When I used to ride dirt bikes I knew a guy who is a diesel mechanic and a 3rd generation racing engine builder, building engines for vehicles like top fuel dragsters, sprint cars, drag boats, and motorcycles. At the time he was sponsoring a pro motocross team. He had much to say about oils.

A 450 motocross engine does not hold much oil compared to a street bike and is subject to very high shear forces. He did an oil comparison with most of the leading oils.

Starting with fresh oil his rider would run a 20 minute practice then he would drop the oil. He then sent all the samples of 20 minute oil to a friend who worked at a lab. His friend ran a spectral analysis on each sample and recorded the results.

The score card?

The engine builder was blown away how quickly the oil would shear out of spec after only 20 minutes. The oil that did the best was..... Yep Rotella non synthetic and this by a long shot. It even faired better than the many of the very pricy synthetic oils made for motorcycle use.

The Rotella synthetic is even better as it uses more of the class 2 base stock and even some class 3. Plus it has a better additive package than the non synthetic Rotella.

Because of his findings under punishing conditions I run Rotella synthetic in all my vehicles including da FZ-09.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Perfect timing on this thread...was considering using this oil in the FZ. I used it in a GL1000 I restored a few years ago.

No issues with 5W-40?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It all depends. I have several 6.0Ls (Ford). They are high-oil-shear engines as they use high pressure oil to fire the injectors. T6 is a 7500+ mile interval oil. In 6.0Ls, oil needs to be changed every 5k. I use T6 in all my diesels, but no oil survives long in the 6.0L! ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do a search, there was another thread on T6 a while back that went for a few pages. I am not going to type a long response again but have been using it for a very long time in my street, track, dirt and even SHO outboard boat motor - zero oil related issues.

One of my best friends is an Amsoil dealer and I can get the stuff cheap, still use the Rotella!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Amsoil salesmen remind me of Kirby vacuum salesmen... I feel like I need a shower after they are finished talking. Snake oil.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Do a search, there was another thread on T6 a while back that went for a few pages. I am not going to type a long response again but have been using it for a very long time in my street, track, dirt and even SHO outboard boat motor - zero oil related issues.

One of my best friends is an Amsoil dealer and I can get the stuff cheap, still use the Rotella!
I use amsoil in all my 2 strokes. Chain saw, blower etc. You can mix it at 100 to 1. Amazing stuff.

Amsoil is one of the few companies that produce true synthetic oils. That is to say made in the lab not sucked out of the ground.

Most of what is called synthetic today is really just Dino oil taken out of the ground. These start with a quality base stock which is more highly refined than standard automotive oil. Then add to this a really good additive package and slap on the label "Synthetic or even full synthetic."

The result is an oil that will produce results approaching that of a full synthetic but at a considerably cheaper price.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use amsoil in all my 2 strokes. Chain saw, blower etc. You can mix it at 100 to 1. Amazing stuff.

Amsoil is one of the few companies that produce true synthetic oils. That is to say made in the lab not sucked out of the ground.

Most of what is called synthetic today is really just Dino oil taken out of the ground. These start with a quality base stock which is more highly refined than standard automotive oil. Then add to this a really good additive package and slap on the label "Synthetic or even full synthetic."

The result is an oil that will produce results approaching that of a full synthetic but at a considerably cheaper price.
G3+/ XVHI "full syn"

superb performance for ONLY 1st 1/3 of oil change... goes downhill real fast after that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts