Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am super excited about my new helmet. I have a full face modular helmet with Bluetooth that has been my go-to, but with these hot Louisiana summers I needed something a little cooler. I saw the shark raw and I had to have it. I contemplated the Orange/black since I have the Orange bike but that flat black just looked so damn mean. Fitment was dead on, I have a big old 23" melon head and the large fits perfectly. The facemask was a bit of a pain to snap into the goggles but it's in there now and it's very snug. The goggles are comfy, the breathe really well. They are also slightly tinted, enough to where I don't have to have my shades on beneath. I believe they are polarized. What surprised me was how quiet the helmet is for technically being an open face. There's no sharp corners to catch wind and make noise. I was also able to ride with my LG tone plus Bluetooth earbuds, it was a little tight getting the helmet on with them in but once it was on, they were fine. Comfy helmet, cool looks, makes me feel like Bane from Bat man...oh yeah the face mask breathes super good, not reinhaling hot stank breath all the time or fogging up goggles. Go get one!
Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Clothing Sports gear

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks cool and all but I just can never see anything but a proper full face helmet that is track legal. Anything else just seems sketchy to me.
I too feel much safer with a full face, but this is my commuter helmet, not my hooligan helmet. This helmet does have the ECE R22-05 rated so it's actually approved for competition use, even in moto-gp....but yes a bad enough Wreck and your jaw may be removed...nice thought.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been considering getting this helmet. I hear it's not that safe, but it looks SO COOL. I want the grey and black one with a fighter pilot style riding jacket and jeans so bad I can't stand it. But I cant find the right jacket

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ECE 22.05 certification is way higher than just DOT. Plus if a car smashes you the helmet isn't going to be that effective against a bumper lodged in your intestines. Like a fool, I rode for years with a novelty helmet on my cruisers, fortunately without incident, now with kids and family, I've wised up. I have the alpinestars tgp air jacket and I love it in the summer. I also bought some scorpion riding jeans with the Kevlar liners, but haven't tried them yet, need to get them hemmed. I also need to fade them some they are almost black they are so dark. As mentioned though, this is my cruising helmet, not my hooligan helmet. For the summer only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had this helmet for a couple years now. The fit is amazing and I get a ton of compliments from people while wearing it. The only gripe I have is the wind noise past 100mph can get a bit much, but the helmet wasn't really designed for that type of riding anyways. depending on what I'm doing, I switch between the RAW and Icon Variant. I prefer the visor for those eye melting sunny days.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rdgray169- I have a friend that does window tinting, I never ride at night, the bugs down here in the spring-fall are HORRIBLE, literally will get zero visibility from bug guts in 15-20 miles on the right night, then u get the joy of cleaning them. I asked him to get me some orange mirror tint and apply it to my goggles, I think it will look cool.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Shark makes good stuff! Enjoy it

·
Registered
73 Posts
rdgray169- I have a friend that does window tinting, I never ride at night, the bugs down here in the spring-fall are HORRIBLE, literally will get zero visibility from bug guts in 15-20 miles on the right night, then u get the joy of cleaning them. I asked him to get me some orange mirror tint and apply it to my goggles, I think it will look cool.
I feel your pain. This is what happened in a 5min run after changing the oil.
Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Clothing Sports gear

Reactions: robbz28

·
Registered
806 Posts
Good luck trying to get those scorpion jeans to fade I have washed mine four times now and and just the edge's have faded. I think because its Cordura material and not denim.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a pack of RIT color remover, didn't do much good, gonna try two packs next time...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I feel your pain. This is what happened in a 5min run after changing the oil.
View attachment 17483
I find good old Turtle Wax Bug & Tar works great for bug guts. Once you get a couple coats on your bike & helmet, the bugs do not stick on like that nasty tank warning sticker, lol.

After a couple coats, once the bug guts dry, they come right off real easy. If they are a real nasty mess, then it's time for an old towel soaked in hot water. Place that over the "bugged" area, let it sit for a bit, then it will clean up a lot easier. And yes a nice pressure washer will zap the bugs off fast, just be careful around bearings, seals and electronics.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is all you need for a clean bike...I haven't put water on a bike in 4 years since I discovered this, cleans windshields, chrome, paint, just don't get it on your seat. Product Pink Violet Liquid Material property

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I got to say that helmet looks bad ass, makes you look dangerous. But that ends when the hot chick next to you at the red light turns to look at you and your helmet has a million bug guts all over, hahahahaha like the picture above, hahaha.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got to say that helmet looks bad ass, makes you look dangerous. But that ends when the hot chick next to you at the red light turns to look at you and your helmet has a million bug guts all over, hahahahaha like the picture above, hahaha.
I'm married, so my only worry would be the bug guts impeding my view of the hot chick, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts