Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like other people are posting non-FZ track stuff here so I guess it's tolerated. TT, feel free to move it and give me an internet thrashing if it's in the wrong place ;)

So it's been 10 months since my bad crash last summer (someone crashed and took me out) when I broke my collarbone.

Broken bike:

Broken Dave:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I did a lot of strength training and the bike got a lot of repairs over the winter. New exhaust can and repair to the bent mid-pipe, back to OEM rotors since one of the EBC's is bent, fixed the bodywork, new tail fairing and under tray, straightened the bent CFM Woodcraft rearsets, and added a few trick parts!

Brembo 19 RCS and Motion Pro revolver

After a long wait we braved the gloomy forecast and took a chance on the day.

Bike and Michelle

By mid-afternoon the sun came out and it actually got over 20C! There weren't too many people there all day, but in the second last session of the day I was giving it pretty good, but started to get tired, so I came in before the checkered flag. As I was pitting in I looked out at the track and didn't see anyone else out there. I stopped and asked Michelle "Am I the only one out there?"
"Yep"
"Oh, well I'm going back out then and taking it easy" and then of course proceeded to throw down fast laps since we all know that relaxed and smooth = fast. :)

Remembering how to ride

I'm running Dunlop D211GP-A MED+ compound. I really like these tires a lot.

Fantastic tire wear

What a great season opener. The bike still works great except for a power dip around 12-13k RPM (because of the new bike choking it a bit...). The new Brembo is friggin' awesome and the quick turn throttle really makes life easier on my right wrist and knuckles. Not having to crank on it the get full throttle keeps the armour in my gloves from digging into my knuckles. That and I can easily roll on to full throttle for the short shoots between corners. Win win. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Dave, not only is the the perfect place to post track day stuff, it is encouraged......nice write up sir.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Dave I didn't know you had an accident, I thought the video I saw of you on your dirt bike was recent. Anyways I'm glad you're OK Track Daddy, hahaha.
I'm digging that Thundercats logo on your bike!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good to see that you're back on the track! Was that Fabi config?

I'll be running Fabi next month on GPA's Med+. So far these have great wear, I'm just not loving the fact that bumps feel harder than with Pirelli's... and even with the new patches at Shannonville, there's still a few decent bumps here and there.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it was Fabi. The bumps through 5 were very upsetting. You're running about 22psi in the rear with the GP-A's, right? They are super stiff, that's for sure. They work a lot better when pushed hard so just go faster. LOL... I was talking to a guy who was running 20f and 10r on them in the morning because he had new Ohlins that he hadn't set up yet (he was adjusting levers and pegs in the morning). He said he didn't feel the bumps at all. :p Later in the day he increased the pressure and started playing with suspension. Then he could feel the bumps. haha...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, around 31/22 on the warmers. 20/10 :confused2: that's just crazy.

I need to grow some dangly bits to go faster :(

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I laughed and asked "On purpose?" when he said he was running those pressures. haha... He was leading around the noobs in green and yellow. He didn't come out and give it with us in red until he put proper pressures in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts