Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mine doesn't come on until over 6K also. I think that was the default setting with the PowerCommander.

Unless I take the FZ, no track until I get the R6 sorted :(

My next booked day is Mosport Aug 10th... and Calabogie as soon as bike is fixed.

Have fun at Shannonville!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Doh, we're at Mosport on Tuesday 11th. Advanced group was sold out for Monday...

Shannonville was good. It rained a bit in the first session but it dried up by 10:00 or so, and was great for the rest of the day. Only 2 groups so we still got lots of track time. My bike is back to fast and crazy :)

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Glad you got things sorted out with the bike. I just spent two days at the track this past weekend and I have to say, it was pretty miserable. Both days started off with temps in the upper 70's and by the afternoon, temps were reading 105 - 106 in the shade of our paddock area. The heat and humidity was just brutal.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I had been having a lot of issues with leg cramps; sometimes during the day but mostly after the day was over. I will usually drink anywhere from 10 to 11 bottles of water (16oz) and a couple of Gatorades both days.......and still getting leg cramps. About a year ago, I started buying protein drinks (Special K brand) as they contain 520 mg of Potassium per bottle (10 oz). I drink one in the morning before going out, and one at lunchtime and my leg cramps have really been reduced, but I was still getting them sometimes. I asked my Dr. about it and when she looked at the medications that I take (one a day pill for Hypothyroid condition) and one a day for cholesterol, she told me that the cholesterol meds can sometimes cause leg cramps as a side effect. So she suggested I stop taking the cholesterol meds and see if there was any more improvement. This past weekend, even with the temperatures where they were, and riding pretty hard all day both days (Intermediate group), I ended up with ZERO leg cramps either on the track or in the evenings after the events. Let's hope it keeps rolling this way.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That's great! It's always nice to nail down a problem so exactly.

Yesterday I got cramps under my ribs after lunch! haha.. they started up about 20 minutes sooner than I expected! I felt like a kid again after going back in the lake too soon after lunch :p

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Stomach cramps? Must be the Doritos. ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
How was the SMP ran day? I've probably done every other organizer: Pure, Golo/Hotlaps, Riders Choice, Pro6, Private.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well, they run a good day in terms of keeping it on schedule and quick bike pick-ups and whatnot, but there was zero tech inspection. I've done a few and the tech is completely random. The group of people are mostly local vets though so it's likely fairly safe. Hopefully I haven't just jinxed it! They offer a fantastic rain policy. If you show and the weather isn't to your liking you can move your payment to another day. You can even call from home and say the forecast doesn't look good enough for the 3 hour drive.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, manhandled this yesterday. Now to remember where everything goes when putting in the new (used) motor.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Engine

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Got the other motor in. Took some innovative use of ratchet straps and floor jack, but got the mount bolts lined up.

Installed some Graves Motorsports slide stops and fuel pressure booster. These will require a dyno tune afterwards.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

I was a little annoyed when I took the sprocket cover off and found that the drive sprocket was tack-welded on. Someone was a little paranoid. Some careful grinding and was able to get the nut off without damaging the output shaft threads.

Auto part Gear Tire Tool accessory Automotive wheel system

Now comes the fun part and putting all the hoses and wires back. Hopefully I took enough pictures!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Wo, that's crazy about the tack welds. You're almost ready! While you're at it you might as well safety wire all the hose clamps (if you weren't already planning to). It's a good chance to do the inaccessible ones.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Never thought to safety wire. Not a bad idea.

Trying to get it together for the weekend and get to track to see how the motor runs.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well after sorting out some leaky coolant hoses, I finally made it out to our local 'big-boy' track as I like to call it. Formerly named Mosport International Raceway, now called Canadian Tire Motorsports park is a 10 turn, 2.5 mile track. It opened in 1961, and for the most part, remains the same layout.

This track was host to FIM Formula 1 races from 1961-1977. Currently the track hosts NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, GT3 Cups, Canadian Touring Car Championship, and the Canadian Superbike Series Championship.... along with many other races.

Average speeds for the pro bikes are near 110mph. That's Average speed!... hence why I like to call it the 'big-boy' track. One of the few chances we get to ride it is in the week leading up to the Superbike finals, as it's setup with special airbag safety guards for bikes. We book in January every year to make sure we're able to get on this track.

The bikes new motor ran flawlessly. Normally I run intermediate group on the big tracks, but I was getting stuck in traffic every session. I decided to move up to the red, or fastest group for the afternoon. Way better, it was like open track... but also humbling at how slow I was on this high speed - high horsepower track. I still has a sh!t ton of fun.

Check out how fast me and my 12 year old 600cc got smoked on the long uphill straight. I was topping out at around 14k RPM in 6th gear, probably close to 230-35km/h.

Watch the next few turns. Can you tell who the pro racer was? :tongue9: He was practicing for the championship this weekend.

We got rained out towards the end of the day... but all in all me and my friends had a great time.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Good to hear that it came together and no issues. I'm not sure that I would ever try to replace a motor.......I'm just a humble Electrician with a little mechanical ability when it come to that stuff. Good on ya and glad you had a good time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Good work, Buck. I was at Mosport yesterday. We were lucky to not get rain, but it was crazy windy all day again, and the headwind on my back straight was crazy. That track is f'n scary. LOL

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Good to hear that it came together and no issues. I'm not sure that I would ever try to replace a motor.......I'm just a humble Electrician with a little mechanical ability when it come to that stuff. Good on ya and glad you had a good time.
I'm no mechanic but in the end, it wasn't that difficult to do. There's not many bolts that hold the motor in. It's mostly electrical connections - so you've pretty much got it covered!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Good work, Buck. I was at Mosport yesterday. We were lucky to not get rain, but it was crazy windy all day again, and the headwind on my back straight was crazy. That track is f'n scary. LOL
Good to hear you got a dry day in! Such a fun track (and yes, scary too!). I don't usually tuck in tight to the bike, but on the long uphill back straight, I was head to the tank!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts