Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First track day of the season finally came this weekend! A friend of ours rents out a local track couple times a year. Open track, come on and off as you please. Great group to ride with.

Getting the GP-A Med+ tires toasty
Umbrella Vehicle Shade Tent Canopy

Novelty knee sliders. The spectators liked them, but some riders find them distracting :p
Vehicle Motorcycle Road racing Race track Asphalt

The first few laps always feel so weird. High pegs, narrow bars (as compared to the FZ). But after a few laps it all comes back. These Dunlop GP-A's have great grip and great wear for a DOT tire.

- 5 points to doserdave for guessing the track

- 5,000 points to whomever can figure out why my bike is stuttering. It's a little hairy when your bike intermittently cuts out exiting a corner or when you're trying to go around someone on a straight.

F.I. code 12 - Crankshaft position sensor
F.I. code 22 - Intake temp sensor
F.I. code 30 - Lean angle cut-off switch

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Buck I like the picture with the sparks flying. Is that Calabogie Motorsports track?

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Good to hear that you are back into it Buck. This weekend will be number 7 and 8 for this year, for Peggy and me. I've got one of the new Power Cup Evos on the rear for this weekend.... can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buck I like the picture with the sparks flying. Is that Calabogie Motorsports track?
I wish! I have yet to book any days there. Probably going to run a weekend in July and August. Love that track.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear that you are back into it Buck. This weekend will be number 7 and 8 for this year, for Peggy and me. I've got one of the new Power Cup Evos on the rear for this weekend.... can't wait to try it out.
Wow. That's more than I do in a year! I'm jealous.

·
Registered
673 Posts
- 5,000 points to whomever can figure out why my bike is stuttering. It's a little hairy when your bike intermittently cuts out exiting a corner or when you're trying to go around someone on a straight.

Both of those scenarios where the bike is cutting out (corner exit and passing) require heavy throttle use. Running too rich perhaps? If you have an EXUP exhaust valve in your header, ensure it's working correctly. I wired mine open after a spill rendered the servo useless and every time I grabbed a handful of throttle the bike would stutter for a second then start pulling like a freight train.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It took me a while to see this thread, but that's an easy 5 points, Shannonville, Fabi circuit. :)
Question for buck for bonus Doritos at the track, why the hell wasn't I invited to this private track day!? :p

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Cleared codes, nothing came back.

Looking at this now.

Auto part Clutch Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

Gear Hand Circle

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That doesn't look good, but at least clutch packs are cheap.
$300 for OEM. Luckily there's a new Yami dealer close by so I didn't have far to pick them up.

Now if this rain would stop so I can try it out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
8 friction plates + 8 clutch plates @ $18 ea plus springs and gasket.

Haven't installed yet. I'll toss them in oil before installing. Some of that nice red coloured synthetic stuff.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well new clutch went in, and still the bikes shuddering.

Said f-it, a shop can take it from here.

They put it on dyno to replicate shudder, and low and behold - transmission is shot. :mad:

Now to decide if rebuilding transmission, or sourcing used complete motor is the better option. I thought Yamaha's were indestructible!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That sucks... I was talking to someone at the races Saturday who said his R6 transmission is annoying too, and that other racers have problems with their Yamaha transmissions too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope it wasn't my quickshifter that killed the transmission. I put the QS in at beginning of last season, and mid way through last season is when the trans issues came about.

Bike has 80K on it though... and with years of track on it I guess it wasn't going to last forever.

If I don't get it sorted by mid-Aug, I guess I can always take FZ to track.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've often wondered about quickshifters possibly killing transmissions. I've always felt that if they weren't adjusted just right that they could hurt the dogs, but how do you know it's adjusted right?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I've often wondered about quickshifters possibly killing transmissions. I've always felt that if they weren't adjusted just right that they could hurt the dogs, but how do you know it's adjusted right?
Exactly. I fiddled with the fuel cut time until full throttle high rpm shifts were smooth. For short shifting, it wasn't as smooth. There doesn't seem to be a common ground setting that works for various loads/rpm.

I may be hesitant hooking it back up once I get the bike sorted..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts