Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my Shad cases in 2 days after ordering. Big thanks to Michael Schuiten at shadusa.com ([email protected], T.305.652.6366). After a 45 message email thread back and forth over last few weeks, he delivered everything as promised. I got in on the free inner bags as advertised on their site for the first few customers.

For install of the SH36 cases you need the Y0MT93IF fitment kit, and of course the D0B36100 side cases. X01B36 is apparently the SKU for the free bags.

Here they are just waiting:

Besides instructions, they come with a cool brochure, 3 keys, and a spare cylinder, presumably to key a Shad top case alike:

The shop is ready!

They mount to the high passenger peg mount bolt with a spacer, and to the underside frame mount at the rear most hole of the two provided by Yamaha under the side covers. Note: the instructions say to remove the two side cover pieces, but on US models these pieces appear fused. It's not necessary to separate them to cleanly drill a hole for the SH36 mount spacers. I used an 11/16" chisel tip spade bit to drill through the plastic at the "X" provided by Yamaha on the underside of the side covers. Luckily, my "X"s were right on. The hole fit the Shad spacer exactly.

Was a very easy install, even given the translation challenges on the Shad instructions. The "020" hole should be 20mm, per Michael. I did not find it needed to be that big, and just held the spacer against my bits and chose 11/16". Fit was tight and clean. Maybe most nerve-racking part of install was removing factory passenger peg mount bolts, which had only blue thread locker, but required great force with a large allen wrench.

At the rear, the only challenge was installing plastic piece to the end of the bars. The little washers simply could not be used with the M6 bolts because the bolts were not long enough to get threaded with the washer in place. The bolt head is plenty big for a secure installation without the washers. I used blue Loctite on everything. Here are some naked pics:

I have no idea what the little hole at the top of the metal piece is for. Michael says this fitment is compatible with the Shad top case mount, so perhaps it's used there. And I will use it as a bungee anchor point!

And here are some installed pics:

Great shape and depth:

Note the tray. Wish my FJR cases had this!

Size L modular. Shad says XXL will fit and I believe it:

As for the inner bags, these kick the @$$ of my FJR inner bags. Great accessory:

Important pictures inside the bag:

And what do I think? These are the best quality aftermarket cases I've ever had. Quality is at or above my FJR cases. They are light but sturdy and reliable feeling. I've had the Shad SH42s on an FZ6. SH36s are better. I've had the Givi V35s on a couple bikes. The Shad SH36s are better. However, I do like the bike-hugging shape of the Givi V35s for that OEM look. The Givis just didn't fit even my large full face (non modular) well. For functionality and also good looks, these Shads are great.

The reflectors seem to actually reflect, but not sure they're real reflectors. There are "accessory" red ones, but I like the white.

The case closure mechanism is very refined (like the SH50 top case I had). It requires very little effort, and feels like Honda or Toyota quality. Waterproofing appears not be be from tight rubber seal (which would make closure difficult), but from what looks like overlapping rain channels--like flashing on a roof. There is an inner rubber seal, but it is more of a flap the sandwiches the door edge than one deep inside that gets forced against for tight seal.

I agonized over color choice. There is some confusion over colors. shadusa.com for example has silver (lighter) and titanium (darker). But Michael referred to them as titanium (lighter) and dark grey (darker), respectively. I explained there was no "dark grey" on the web site. He sent me detailed pics of the covers once he had them--extremely customer focused! I chose the lighter to match my frame, which it does--in the garage. In the sunlight I'm thinking about carbon (not available yet) or "dark grey". I didn't order dark grey (aka Titanium on shadusa.com) because it appeared to have blueish/purplish tint. Michael has already indicated his willingness to help me swap out as necessary until I'm satisfied.

Mounting. I was skeptical over how solid this mount would be, but it is very solid. Not sure why Shad didn't use BOTH underside frame mounting locations provided by Yamaha, but this is a good execution with minimal bulk. I prefer the look of this mounting system with bags off to the one from my FZ6 with the Shad SH42s, which left a giant rectangle bag hanger on each side, still had a lateral cross bar, and required relocation of the turn signals rearward.

Case fitting. Holy crap. These cases fit tightly to the bars. I'm convinced there's no way these can fall off if locked on top. The rubbery solid material inside each of the 3 mounting points seems too thick, and right now it takes pretty good effort to get the cases over the bars and latch. My experience is nothing like the Shad video where the guy walks up and pops on the bags. I strongly suspect though the material will shrink/loosen with time and I believe the fit will remain tight because of the spring tension inside the latch.

Overall excellent execution of a very functional set of bags, decent aesthetics with the bags off, and value.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nice write up!

The bottom tray is a nice touch.

What weight are the bags rated for? Doesn't say on the warning sticker what the max allowable weight is.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe it's 10K, or 22 lbs. Saw it on specs on their website I believe. Odd that it's not right on the bags….

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Seems like that might be handy information to put on the bag

I agree with you in that the brackets, without the bags, is much cleaner than the usual Givi rectangle.

If possible, whenever is convenient, would you mind measuring how wide the bike is with the bags attached?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like that might be handy information to put on the bag

I agree with you in that the brackets, without the bags, is much cleaner than the usual Givi rectangle.

If possible, whenever is convenient, would you mind measuring how wide the bike is with the bags attached?
Hard to take that measurement. But measuring from outmost edge of one bag to center of tail is 20" exactly, so 40" at widest point, and probably 1/2" to 1" narrower, but I error on farther distance.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Great write up and a great set-up and so handy for long trips, esp two-up- or, as I found out recently, when hiking and you dont want to carry your jackets and pants or shoes with you!). I have been debating about adding hard cases to the top case (which doubles up as a backrest for the wife) but so far, I think only Hepco becker has one compatible with the OEM rack. Tempted even more after seeing your set-up. How much clearance does the bracket have from the bottom of the seat- basically, I am trying to see if I can connect it with the OEM rack.

Would be good to know how wide these are...seem a little bit wider than the handlebars?

Lastly, how much did it all cost?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write up and a great set-up and so handy for long trips, esp two-up- or, as I found out recently, when hiking and you dont want to carry your jackets and pants or shoes with you!). I have been debating about adding hard cases to the top case (which doubles up as a backrest for the wife) but so far, I think only Hepco becker has one compatible with the OEM rack. Tempted even more after seeing your set-up. How much clearance does the bracket have from the bottom of the seat- basically, I am trying to see if I can connect it with the OEM rack.

Would be good to know how wide these are...seem a little bit wider than the handlebars?

Fairly flush with bottom of seat. Under seat mounting point space was just 1/2" thick or so. Don't know width of handlebars, but widest point on bags setup is 40", or slightly narrower since hard to hold tape in place at exact spot so I exaggerated measurement slightly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

$469 + $203. Got slight discount off that. Worth it in my opinion when comparing to Givi setup costs on a couple other bikes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, had to measure it. Handlebars are 32". Stock mirrors are 35". So 40", or 2.5" on each side of mirror for additional bag width is not too bad. We can't lane split in Texas…..;-).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We can't lane split in Texas…..;-).
Yes you can....

Austin Police officer Jermaine Kilgore tells us it's actually kind of a grey area.

"But in Texas it's not illegal...and it's not necessarily legal. So it's just one of those things that comes down to an interpretation of the officer and comes down basically to safety. It's a safety issue," Kilgore said.

On the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of the Department of Public Safety Motorcycle website, one question is "Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?"

It says "The law doesn't specifically say one or the other" but goes on to cite several statutes depending on the circumstances that may apply.

Kilgore says it's a case-by-case basis. An officer could cite for reckless driving, failure to drive in a single marked lane...or driving on an improved shoulder.

"There is no black and white infraction for splitting. It comes down to safety. If it's done in a reckless manner and it's unsafe, then the officer has the duty to, you know, stop the violator if he feels like it's unsafe or reckless," Kilgore said.
From this article.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Okay, had to measure it. Handlebars are 32". Stock mirrors are 35". So 40", or 2.5" on each side of mirror for additional bag width is not too bad. We can't lane split in Texas…..;-).
Thanks for checking- it doesn't seem too wide then!

Yes you can....

From this article.
In NYC, we don't split lanes here, we "share the lane" ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes you can....

From this article.
Like I said, we can't…..:cool: Tickets issued in DFW for shoulder driving or lane sharing. I've done it, in stopped traffic in extreme heat, with my "safety" argument ready in case I'm pulled over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
very nice! nice to have another option, and the bags look nice and light and large.

frankly, it's amazing that 3 companies (givi, shad, hepco) have hard bag set ups for a bike with short fuel range and a really hard seat, lol. but it's awesome.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a good looking setup. Thanks for the posting.
My pleasure. Really enjoying the bags. Shad even sent me dark grey color plates at no charge, but turns out I do NOT like them as well with the light grey frame. They are too dark and have blue/purplish tint. I will send them back. May still try carbon fiber, but the Titanium plates look nice. Though not an exact match, they compliment the bike well. Love being able to store helmet, jacket, gloves, pants etc. in the bike. It all fits….

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I think they look slick and wish I had them on my road trip! I will definitely keep these in mind for the future.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure. There is a common mounting point underneath. Maybe with right combination of spacers. Call Michael at Shadusa. He might know compatibility. Shad also has a topcase mount though that is compatible with the bag brackets.

Sent from my beautiful Iphone 6 Plus using Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts