Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently purchased a SHAD seat. I originally wanted a seat that looked as close to stock as possible. The main reason I purchased an aftermarket seat was because, I was planning to ride to Laconia Bike week with my friends this year. Unfortunately, I have some other priorities that I must deal with at work which I found out about after I purchased this seat. Anyways here is my review:

I love it. The seat isn't too plush but it isn't hard at all. It has that really nice "in-between feel". I was on the bike for about 2.5 hours today and I had no issue with my buttocks being uncomfortable. There is a slight curvature that isn't noticeable when you look at the seat and it felt perfect for me. You can feel the curvature round up on your tail bone while sitting on it, making it feel more ergonomic. While hitting the twisties, I was able to move from side to side and hang a little off the bike with no issue. Typically, my buttocks will get that burning sensation after riding for a long period of time but with this seat, I did not!! It is also water proof which is really nice and I absolutely love the texture of the seat compared to the stock feel. The seat height of the bike also increased a small amount but nothing more than an inch. I think this was a great addition to my FZ and has definitely made riding much more comfortable.

Just an FYI: when you purchase this seat you need to remove the rubber grommets under the OEM seat and transfer it over to this seat. You also have a place to mount the tools that came with your FZ that are attached to the seat on the underside. This particular seat is labeled with "MT". Obviously, I do not have the MT since I live in the US, but I love its stitching. I emailed the company and had asked if they were going to release their product with FZ stitching but they had said no. They will only be selling the seat with out the stitching as opposed to having the FZ on there instead. The representative at SHAD also offered me the opportunity to have this seat sent back and replace it with a seat with MT not stitched on it. After installing it on the bike, I want to keep it this way since I actually really like it the way it is. For those of you interested in the seat with out the MT stitched, I believe it will be released in May or June... Don't quote me on that as I am not 100% sure. Either way, when I asked the representative, she had said it will be very soon.

Part of my profession in the Environmental, Health and Safety field focuses on ergonomics and I really believe from my knowledge and experience, that this seat is a great alternative. My back felt very natural sitting straight up, and I barely slouched forward compared to before. I would definitely recommend this seat.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Excellent review. I like the MT logo too. Could you add where you bought the seat and the price?

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good review on a good looking seat. I like the contrast in materials.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, and I paid $399 from SHAD. I believe thats around the same price of the corbin alternative. SHAD recently had a sale where it was much cheaper. But I missed it.. Not sure how often they will be doing that. The product also shipped from here in the states. I believe once it becomes more popular in the states there will be more suppliers thus causing the cost to reduce.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice review thank you! I am waiting for this seat , i will receive it on next tuesday . Cant wait to try it ! Fyi i call the compagny before buying it and they give me a 10% discount code on the price ( 399$ ) .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased the seat some time ago and I couldn't be happier! it works perfect for long rides and my wife notice the difference as a passenger, big difference in comfort with the corbin seat, my neighbor has corbin on his FZ and just by touch materials used on Shad are higher quality.
I like the MT09 embroidery, very well made.

seat fZ09.jpg

Received a Code by email some days ago as an actual shad customer, it looks it works for future purchases ;)
Yamaha FZ09 Seat FZ09 MT09 MT-09

Discount Code for 10% OFF: SHAD10FZ9

·
Registered
30 Posts
This looks like what I have been waiting for. looks good and priced right. I do have just one concern, the stock seat pushes me towards the tank and it gets uncomfortable and annoying. Is this seat at least closer to flat and or does it not give that forward push?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Guys, the SHAD seat owners, does this seat push you forward towards the tank like the stock seat. That's my main complaint with the stock seat. After a short while, my sitz bones light up, agonizing. For me, I think it's because of the forward slant of the seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Guys, the SHAD seat owners, does this seat push you forward towards the tank like the stock seat. That's my main complaint with the stock seat. After a short while, my sitz bones light up, agonizing. For me, I think it's because of the forward slant of the seat.
I like the gripper material on the front of the seat it has stopped me from sliding forward, the shad seat is VERY comfortable. Never really noticed how much of an arc across the middle the stock seat had until riding on the Shad. You actually fell like your sitting IN a seat rather than ON a seat.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So there is a forward slant like the stock seat?
Nope. I think it is more straight or more of a scoop and that's why it increases the height- which I love. I have barely slipped towards the front even on very hard braking.

@OP, nice short review. You beat me to it though I think I got the first seat. Been waiting to go on a long two-up ride but that's not until May. So far, I am very happy with the seat too. Will post my review soon as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a matter of fact Motorock, I saw a picture of your bike with the seat on it and liked it a lot! I did some searching and found that they had a few for sale on EBAY but I decided to wait a little longer. After finally deciding to get a new seat, I pulled the trigger on this guy and haven't turned back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time rider, planing a trip with my girlfriend this summer across some states in the US. I didn't know the seat was available in US and ordered on ebay, from a seller in France who charge me $274.64 for the seat + $65 on shipping to US, the selller said the package was going to be sent international standard mail, the seat arrived to US after two weeks and received a bill from Fedex customs for $42 customs duty for a package sent to me from overseas. In all the years I have received Fedex packages from overseas, I had never seen this fee, I called Fedex customer service — the number is right on the several pages of the bill and letter, the fedex employee told me “The fee is from duties and taxes, for the importing of shipments,” really??? I refused the package made a claim with paypal and now I will buy it from the US vendor!! Beware of purchasing on ebay from European sellers, he never told me about using fedex and I will never pay for an advertised seat of $274 with final price of $382!!!

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had this seat for about 300 miles now. While it's not NEARLY as sloped as the stock seat, there's still some there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just ordered a seat from Shad. 325 +Shipping. They said they had only two left at that price, then it goes back to regular prices at 399.

Already have confirmation that it's been shipped! Woot Woot!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Received a Code by email some days ago as an actual shad customer, it looks it works for future purchases ;)
Yamaha FZ09 Seat FZ09 MT09 MT-09
just ordered one off the above link; price was $325 + shipping. thanks for the info!

Discount Code for 10% OFF: SHAD10FZ9
that must be baked into the link, as when i tried to enter it, the site rejected it.
no biggie, as $325 is still a lot less than the original of $399!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts