Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any working knowledge of this? I emailed Shad to get info weighing the cost vs. advantage of my Givi retrofit vs. their 3-P system and they sent me a picture of the bike. Look closely at the seat in the picture... it is shaped different, different cover and has a tag that says "Shad" on it. Thanks for the info guys.

Best,

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Naa, it's all good. Sport tour to the destination, unpack and set up camp, then go enjoy the roads on the FZ :)

This seat looks like a nice option. I can't navigate their website at all... is it just me (at work, they might be blocking some stuff that's screwing up the site layout)?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hawkerjet,

No worries man. I have had many, many bikes and always hated hard luggage until I had it for the first time back in 2002. Since then, after retrofitting bikes like an RC51 and GSXR750 with hardcases vs. bikes such as the Concours 1400 I had, it is always better to retrofit bikes for hard luggage as dozzerdave says. You can pull the luggage off and have a 420lb bike again vs. a 600+lb bike minus the side cases.

Best,

Don

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Just got an email confirmation... It will be stateside in the next 30 days! might be a cheaper option than the Sargent that will be released in that same timeframe.

Best,

Don

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hawkerjet,

No worries man. I have had many, many bikes and always hated hard luggage until I had it for the first time back in 2002. Since then, after retrofitting bikes like an RC51 and GSXR750 with hardcases vs. bikes such as the Concours 1400 I had, it is always better to retrofit bikes for hard luggage as dozzerdave says. You can pull the luggage off and have a 420lb bike again vs. a 600+lb bike minus the side cases.

Best,

Don
Exactly my thoughts- why get a heavy ass bike when a lighter bike can do it all, without taking out any of the fun? For me, I take out the OEM rack if I have to go for spirited riding- it takes barely 5 minutes to unbolt the 4 bolts and put the rack away. Oversize ADV/ ST bikes don't make sense when something like the FZ can do it all. UJM FTW!

Guys,

Just got an email confirmation... It will be stateside in the next 30 days! might be a cheaper option than the Sargent that will be released in that same timeframe.

Best,

Don
That's great news- is it a whole new seat system (with new seat pan like Corbin/Sargent)? Or is it a seat cover solution like the Seat Concepts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motorock,

My understanding is it comes with its own seat pan. They would not give me cost but if it is in the ballpark of the others in this range, should $380-ish. Don't quote me on that price though... just best guess. I was told the Sargent will be $500 and get a $50 or so dollar discount for signing up for their early release/notification email. My Eddie Copeland seat is leaps and bounds better than stock but I still am seeking that perfect perch. Just don't get me started on Corbin...

Best,

Don

·
Registered
583 Posts
Motorock,

My understanding is it comes with its own seat pan. They would not give me cost but if it is in the ballpark of the others in this range, should $380-ish. Don't quote me on that price though... just best guess. I was told the Sargent will be $500 and get a $50 or so dollar discount for signing up for their early release/notification email. My Eddie Copeland seat is leaps and bounds better than stock but I still am seeking that perfect perch. Just don't get me started on Corbin...

Best,

Don
Please share your Corbin story!!! If it sucks, I need to know soon.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's a good-looking seat.

I wonder if it's comfortable and if they sell a U.S. version with FZ instead of MT.
Actually the US version will not have any embroidery according to SHAD. I was asking them about availability this week. They actually have two (2) "MT" version in stock in the US at the moment. The US version will be arriving in late October.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There is a Shad USA website, but you can't navigate past the first page???

Here are a few pics of the European MT-09 version off the web.

Shad1.JPG

Shad2.JPG

Shad3.JPG

Shad4.JPG

Here is a link to their pdf sheet on the seat.
http://www.shad.es/descargas/shad4818.pdf

And an interesting note, on the Yamaha Canada website under accessories, all the luggage is Shad.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4538&group=MC&catId=79#aa

So it makes me wonder if the Comfort Seat, is actually a Shad Seat???

And it is listed at a price of $325.95 CDN and $299.99 US Funds on the US website

Yamaha Comfort Seat.JPG

Yamaha Canada link
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/det...Id=19&subGroupId=26&categoryId=95&itemId=3483

Yamaha US Link
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...-saddle?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2014|44

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here are a few more photos that SHAD USA sent of the two MT-09 Seats in their warehouse:

I can say, based on the seat pan, I don't think the Comfort Seat is built by SHAD.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Has anyone purchased a the Yamaha Comfort Seat? That can let us know if it is any good?

Since I know other bikes have OEM Comfort Seats, that many people do not find being much of an improvement over the stock seat.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Has anyone purchased a the Yamaha Comfort Seat? That can let us know if it is any good?

Since I know other bikes have OEM Comfort Seats, that many people do not find being much of an improvement over the stock seat.
I actually just did. In an effort to not clutter up this thread; check out my other posts on it:
Here: http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...e-you-done-your-bike-today-381.html#post91363
& Here: http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...e-you-done-your-bike-today-382.html#post91470

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'd like to test the comfort of the Shad vs the Sargent.

I had a Sargent before and could ride 10 hours no problem.

The butt pan area seems to be shaped much different than the Sargent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts