Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
They need top-end rebuilds because of the stubbornness of keeping the engines air cooled. When was the last time you've heard of any other make needing rings, pistons and cylinders? With Harleys, that's considered routine maintenance.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The s-hole country bar I ride to for refreshment is deep inside HD territory. I've gotten used to being the only non-HD there, aka, 'Jap bike'. Seeing a Sportster there is somewhat, but not a lot less rare than my MT-09. The vast majority of HDs are the 850 pound Bagger/Fat Boy/Ultra models and 75% are reliably black. Not sure how the owners can tell them apart after 3-6 beers.

From my observations of many decades, what HD owners value most is conformity, i.e., not standing out from the crowd: they feel unique and rebellious by all looking nearly alike. If they're not buying Sportsters now, I'm not sure what would persuade them to buy this ugly POS with the huge tires that looks different. There is a lot of comfort and group acceptance in riding those 60 year-old models/designs and I don't expect that's going to change.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I think the poor reliability thing comes mostly from all of bikes that have been worked on by all sorts of people with more beer than skill. And of course from the 'old' HD's which are about as reliable as any other 30+ year old MC. I've not heard of too many reliability issues with new, or properly serviced & maintained HD's.
I think they are rated better than all of the Euro bikes for reliability. BMW is the worst. Go figure....I met a BMW guy at the computer store and he told me he pays $500 for an oil change. I'd set my bike on fire and collect the insurance if they ever told me an oil change was $500.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I think they are rated better than all of the Euro bikes for reliability. BMW is the worst. Go figure....I met a BMW guy at the computer store and he told me he pays $500 for an oil change. I'd set my bike on fire and collect the insurance if they ever told me an oil change was $500.
But you do get a beard trim with the service, and a coffee made of beans shat out by a rodent.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
559 Posts
I finally saw a redeeming quality to Harley Davidsons' big, heavy design: deer resistance. Story (or *Storey!) time:

I was driving home in my wife's Focus ST (she asked me to put fuel in it), and I get stuck behind this Harley barely going 40 mph up the hill (speed limit is 45 mph). We crest the summit, and not 100 yards after, a young deer pops out of the woods and into the path of the Harley. To the rider's credit, he doesn't panic and clips the hind quarters of the fawn with his bike. The fawn gets spun around and crashes into the brush on the far shoulder. The Harley just keeps cruising, turns on his left indicator, and turns on the next street. I shout out "You ok?" "Yeah, we're fine" comes the response. I looked for Bambi after that, but it seems both of our characters survived the ordeal relatively unscathed.

I was surprised by how little the strike phased the Harley. I'm not saying there's a strong case here, but that's something, I guess.

(*Storey is the county where this took place.)

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I finally saw a redeeming quality to Harley Davidsons' big, heavy design: deer resistance. Story (or *Storey!) time:

I was driving home in my wife's Focus ST (she asked me to put fuel in it), and I get stuck behind this Harley barely going 40 mph up the hill (speed limit is 45 mph). We crest the summit, and not 100 yards after, a young deer pops out of the woods and into the path of the Harley. To the rider's credit, he doesn't panic and clips the hind quarters of the fawn with his bike. The fawn gets spun around and crashes into the brush on the far shoulder. The Harley just keeps cruising, turns on his left indicator, and turns on the next street. I shout out "You ok?" "Yeah, we're fine" comes the response. I looked for Bambi after that, but it seems both of our characters survived the ordeal relatively unscathed.

I was surprised by how little the strike phased the Harley. I'm not saying there's a strong case here, but that's something, I guess.

(*Storey is the county where this took place.)
So there is something good about a 900 lb motorcycle. Who knew!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
I just was out with my GF and dog for bagels and coffee. As we were heading home on interstate 195 A Harley bagger passed us and all of a sudden I saw it. The back wheel started wobbling. Then my GF saw it and asked "what's wrong with that motorcycle?". The wobble got really bad and I thought he was going to loose it. He was slowing down but was in the fast lane and a Mustang almost ran him over. it got within 2 -3' of hitting him. He finally got it slowed down and immediately got into the slow lane and got off the highway. I said to my GF, he probably went to do an underwear change. I was amazed he saved it. I was relieved that he saved it. I hate Harelys but not people. I do hate Harley owners attitudes which I've experienced countless times. I'd like to see them all just ride off into the distance.........oh wait....their bike might spit them off.

For all of the Harley defenders......after witnessing a motorcycle driving in a straight line down the highway and get into a death wobble without any cause, don't tell me how great they are as a cruiser. There are enough ways to hurt / kill yourself on a motorcycle. A bike that looses control by itself? Add in the terrible brakes, Barcalounger seating position, ape hangers and trying to get 900 ponds under control....That's exactly how I'd describe a piece of shit. My GF was stunned. she immediately asked me if my bike does that. I had some headshake on my XSR900 and FJ 09 but nothing like what we saw this morning. Of course if you look on Harley forums, everyone says it's a myth.

Another interesting thing to note about my morning excursion, I came home a realized my pants were on inside out. At least my bike doesn't try and kill me.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
1,021 Posts
I just was out with my GF and dog for bagels and coffee. As we were heading home on interstate 195 A Harley bagger passed us and all of a sudden I saw it. The back wheel started wobbling. Then my GF saw it and asked "what's wrong with that motorcycle?". The wobble got really bad and I thought he was going to loose it. He was slowing down but was in the fast lane and a Mustang almost ran him over. it got within 2 -3' of hitting him. He finally got it slowed down and immediately got into the slow lane and got off the highway. I said to my GF, he probably went to do an underwear change. I was amazed he saved it. I was relieved that he saved it. I hate Harelys but not people. I do hate Harley owners attitudes which I've experienced countless times. I'd like to see them all just ride off into the distance.........oh wait....their bike might spit them off.

For all of the Harley defenders......after witnessing a motorcycle driving in a straight line down the highway and get into a death wobble without any cause, don't tell me how great they are as a cruiser. There are enough ways to hurt / kill yourself on a motorcycle. A bike that looses control by itself? Add in the terrible brakes, Barcalounger seating position, ape hangers and trying to get 900 ponds under control....That's exactly how I'd describe a piece of shit. My GF was stunned. she immediately asked me if my bike does that. I had some headshake on my XSR900 and FJ 09 but nothing like what we saw this morning. Of course if you look on Harley forums, everyone says it's a myth.

Another interesting thing to note about my morning excursion, I came home a realized my pants were on inside out. At least my bike doesn't try and kill me.
At least Harley riders put their pants on correctly 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Speaking of costumes, I posted about a guy I met that was riding a Royal Enfield. Very cool guy but he was wearing full track leathers which I thought was a little weird looking on a 48 HP motorcycle. I've also seen adventure riders in complete full motocross gear on a spotless bike on the street. That was weird too. the most fun to see is scooter riders. They wear a mishmash of every motorcycle style you've ever seen with a dash of World War 1 flying ace thrown in.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That Fort9 video that psycoreefer posted touches on the Harley death wobble. No thank you. We've probably all experienced/induced headshake which will get your attention, but that would scare the hell out of anyone. At least it should.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
The rear wheel wobbling in a death wobble is unusual to say the least. speaking from experience of the scary f'n things. Tank slappers(death wobbles) are not named for loose women who haunt Armoured Forces units. It's because the bars are slapping from lock to lock, and you can't hold them.
It sounds more like a puncture to me.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
286 Posts
Everybody always wants to bash Harley as unreliable, ugly, old technology, slow, etc. but when you actually think about it, it is the Harley fan boys that are keeping Harley from getting innovative, and fixing many of the problems Harley's are associated with. Every time Harley tries something new, the consumers kill it. When they released the V-Rod, in my opinion, one of the best looking cruisers ever made, Harley guys bashed them because they were water-cooled, or had Porsche engines. They release the Street 500 and 750 or whatever they're called as a cheap way of getting into Harley, and all the fan boys say they aren't real Harleys, they're girls bikes, they're junk. Live wire? Has anybody seen one in person? They had a concept called the Bronx, which I thought looked incredible, but apparently there wasn't enough interest to continue the project. The tradionalists have made Harley what it is today, for better or for worse.

I will say, the Fat Bob is a pretty sweet looking bike.
I test rode Street 750. Utterly repulsive junk in every way.

I also test rode Livewire. Awesome bike, about $10 too expensive.

Did you see the new Sportster? Fat, ugly, and heavy.

Harley is screwed.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
What matters more is Harley’s rapidly cratering sales

View attachment 166014
This is on point. Harley was selling a lot of motorcycles but less and less each year. I think that the fact they doubled down on the same old bikes is what will eventually kill them. I think the Livewire is cool but way too expensive and the Pan America is very cool also. Can you seriously think about walking into a Harley dealer and seeing them aggressively promoting them?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I see Asia-Pacific is constant. That must be thanks to bikie gangs, and sad old farts who always wanted a Harley when they were 20 but couldn't earn enough South Pacific pesos to buy one

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
559 Posts
I am pretty sure psyco and I passed a PanAm riding the mountain roads this past weekend. It was the first time I had seen one other than the press photos.

Edit: I'll have to double check my footage. I think the camera was rolling. I think.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts