Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a great day to go riding here in the Chicago area, 49 degrees, sun shinning, had to take the bike out.

I am asking this question in all seriousness.

Has anyone ridden their bike more than 5 miles without lifting the front end up off the ground (even a quarter inch counts)?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Made it farther than five miles, but it seems to happen more often lately.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Rode by a bunch of kids yesterday...and they were all giving me the 'do a wheelie gesture'... its Christmas time after all...I couldn't say no to kids!
Better question is has anyone had any close calls with wheelies? Like too high...or rough landings, etc? I have found it to be very controllable so far, nothing that gives me reason to stop.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
It's actually pretty funny when my wife and I go riding. I usually lead and she likes to ride behind me on her 600RR. She watches my foot position and knows, when she sees my right foot change position from riding on the ball of my foot to where I cover the rear brake pedal, she knows I'm a fixin to do some wheelies. Sometimes, after changing foot position, but before I actually do the wheelie, I'll look in the mirror and she is already shaking her head........like......I can't believe you are doing wheelies again.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It's actually pretty funny when my wife and I go riding. I usually lead and she likes to ride behind me on her 600RR. She watches my foot position and knows, when she sees my right foot change position from riding on the ball of my foot to where I cover the rear brake pedal, she knows I'm a fixin to do some wheelies. Sometimes, after changing foot position, but before I actually do the wheelie, I'll look in the mirror and she is already shaking her head........like......I can't believe you are doing wheelies again.
Same thing here. Right foot gives me away to my wife following behind, she gasses it to keep up the second she sees just my right foot move, and elbows go up to absorb the rise. She tells people that I have a sickness and the symptoms are that I break out in rampant wheelies.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yesterday was a great day to go riding here in the Chicago area, 49 degrees, sun shinning, had to take the bike out.

I am asking this question in all seriousness.

Has anyone ridden their bike more than 5 miles without lifting the front end up off the ground (even a quarter inch counts)?

Really, a serious question ?

Not yet in 1600+ miles.

But I did get to 90mph in 3rd gear last weekend riding with some sport bikes on some winding mountain roads.

Now let's see how many make fun of me on this forum.... lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My FZ spends practically all it's time on two wheels. Any wheelies were... accidental... yeah, that's the ticket... accidental! Seriously thou, when the front starts to come up I don't let it stay up for long... something to due with corners and directional control. ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some of the intersections around here are so bumpy, both wheels are coming off the ground. I accelerate from wave crest to wave crest

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
My FZ spends practically all it's time on two wheels. Any wheelies were... accidental... yeah, that's the ticket... accidental! Seriously thou, when the front starts to come up I don't let it stay up for long... something to due with corners and directional control. ;)
It's OK to turn corner with the front wheel in the air.........unless the LEO's are watching!...........then, not so much!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Rode by a bunch of kids yesterday...and they were all giving me the 'do a wheelie gesture'... its Christmas time after all...I couldn't say no to kids!
A valuable public service from an upstanding citizen. Most admirable!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

That guy is banned right now...ride your own ride, it would be worse if you felt pressure to try a wheelie if you didn't feel comfortable with it or felt it was unsafe.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That guy is banned right now...ride your own ride, it would be worse if you felt pressure to try a wheelie if you didn't feel comfortable with it or felt it was unsafe.
????? I have seen worst comments lately than this... unless I miss another episode? LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
????? I have seen worst comments lately than this... unless I miss another episode? LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
What I meant was, the only person I would expect to flame someone for NOT wanting to wheelie is that BVD character, and he's at banned camp ATM. Trying to reassure billnoroville that he doesn't have to apologize for riding what ever way he feels fit, in fact I applaud it

Edit...the "that guy" isn't Bill, lol...I can see how my comment was confusing...it's your ESL Marthy (you are French or something originally, right?)...if I intended to refer to Bill as the banned person...I would have more appropriately said "this guy" :)

·
Registered
582 Posts

Not yet in 1600+ miles.

But I did get to 90mph in 3rd gear last weekend riding with some sport bikes on some winding mountain roads.

I have felt No pressure by anyone and my comment was a pre-emptive way of laughing at those that might do it. I have had wheelie machines in the past and at 65 I have not forgot how much fun they were or how to do them. At 65 I simply choose to keep both wheels on the ground as it appears others do to.

I think questions like this are about fun (maybe a little showboating) but not about recklessness. Forums should be fun with no drama.

Rubber side down all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts